Your favourite Axe-Fx 3 “stuff”?

The Axe Cabs are excellent, however, there are not many mixed stock IRs - they are mostly single mic IRs. I like my cab block to have two 121/57 mix IRs (and sometimes with additional mics mixed in) hard panned L/R (to accommodate full stereo routing into the Cab block). This could be accommodated with stock IRs by using 4 cab slots (57 and 121 IRs mixed with level controls + panned hard left , and separate 57 and 121 IRs mixed with level controls + panned hard right), however, this takes up more CPU so I prefer pre-mixing 3rd party ones to minimize mixing in real time in the Cab block. Mikko also offers the graphical IR selection which is unique to his offering (pick a cab and mic(s) and place them graphically while listening - when your hear what you like, hit the button to generate the IR (I dislike auditioning IRs file by file)).
Sounds interesting

Since buying the Axe, I have little interest in buying amps and pedals, so now I buy unhealthy amounts of guitars 😁🎸🎸🎸💪
This is me

This is SOOOOOO me

So
Many
🎸

What i love is how each one reacts differently to the axe fx.....to different amps and combinations....I even have 3 of one type of guitar, and they all sound slightly different too!

It's like getting to know the personality of each guitar

That's sweet indeed. If I ever do a "home only" setup I might just have to to build something like that for my Axe-Fx.
Note the side handles in the cab. Although I got it mainly for home use, I still have the option to take it out "carefully" if the opportunity presents itself.

Note the side handles in the cab. Although I got it mainly for home use, I still have the option to take it out "carefully" if the opportunity presents itself.
Yeah, I saw the handles - which look great, BTW - and would want to have them for a home rack. But when I gig, my SUV is so packed with gear (I also load the PA and 5 guitars) I really need the Fractal rack to be covered both front and back.

AXE III check
FC12 Check
Rolling 6 space rack case with drawer Check
FM3 check
This is where it got out of control Lol
PRS SC stripped 58
Duesenberg Starpayer TV
Duesenberg Starplayer TV Deluxe
Gretsch 5565
For this I’m no longer allowed to shop for gear for another year is what the wife says.

My favorite Axe-Fx "thing" I've gotten from the Axe-Fx would be the education it has given me.

Messing around with the Axe-Fx for the past... decade or so (yikes) has taught me so much about guitar in general. Like, an unbelievable amount of stuff. Using the Axe, it costs nothing to quickly experiment with anything and everything you like without worrying about cables or power or shocking yourself to death on an exposed capacitor or blowing amps up in general, so you can endlessly mess around with stuff like effects order, the pros and cons of different routing configurations like series and parallel, how insanely powerful EQ is and exactly how it affects your sound at every given point in your chain (and how so few guitar players talk about it), deep diving into advanced parameters of everything, the Amp block's advanced parameters (of which multiple books could be written about just it alone), whatever you want.

With the Axe-Fx, I have learned just about everything I need to know about the kinds of sounds I want and how to get them. So even if I build an all tube/analog rig in the future, without question it will be done using the knowledge I have gained from working in the Axe-Fx's ecosystem.

Just off the top of my head, my latest experiment was trying to see if I could replicate the tones I was hearing on youtube from the Suhr SL68, basically an idealized Plexi. I messed around with the normal Plexi but it wasn't really doing the Suhr thing, then I remembered that the real SL68 has a post phase inverter master volume. So I just added that to the Plexi model and there it was, instant Suhr SL68 at less than top volume tones. Then I went on to teach myself exactly how post phase inverter master volume controls affect tone. Incidentally, after doing this I realized that the Suhr SL68 is awesome, but could probably be improved even further by adding an additional Treble Cut knob in the circuit after that PPI master control, which would help "restore" a more true "dimed Plexi" tone at low volumes, because I learned that as you turn the PPI Master down from 10 in this amp, treble response increases drastically (which I learned was what I was hearing online that I associated with the "SL68 sound"), so decreasing that treble with some kind of High Cut after the PPI would help bring the sound closer to what it was with the PPI volume at 10. You don't need this in the Axe-Fx because you can just turn down the Amp Block level, but it could be handy on the real amp.

There are endless little things like this I've discovered in the time I've owned an Axe-Fx. And, as it will no-doubt improve and become more accurate and more feature-rich over time, I'm looking forward to learning even more about the electric guitar as that happens.

edit: oh yeah, my favorite physical thing to go with the Axe-Fx that I wouldn't have otherwise bought would be an RJM Mastermind MIDI board.

Last edited:
My favorite Axe-Fx "thing" I've gotten from the Axe-Fx would be the education it has given me.

Messing around with the Axe-Fx for the past... decade or so (yikes) has taught me so much about guitar in general. Like, an unbelievable amount of stuff. Using the Axe, it costs nothing to quickly experiment with anything and everything you like without worrying about cables or power or shocking yourself to death on an exposed capacitor or blowing amps up in general, so you can endlessly mess around with stuff like effects order, the pros and cons of different routing configurations like series and parallel, how insanely powerful EQ is and exactly how it affects your sound at every given point in your chain (and how so few guitar players talk about it), deep diving into advanced parameters of everything, the Amp block's advanced parameters (of which multiple books could be written of how much stuff can be learned from just poking around in there), whatever you want.

With the Axe-Fx, I have learned just about everything I need to know about the kinds of sounds I want and how to get them. So even if I build an all tube/analog rig in the future, without question it will be done using the knowledge I have gained from working in the Axe-Fx's ecosystem.

Just off the top of my head, my latest experiment was trying to see if I could replicate the tones I was hearing on youtube from the Suhr SL68, basically an idealized Plexi. I messed around with the normal Plexi but it wasn't really doing the Suhr thing, then I remembered that the real SL68 has a post phase inverter master volume. So I just added that to the Plexi model and there it was, instant Suhr SL68 at less than top volume tones. Then I went on to teach myself exactly how post phase inverter master volume controls affect tone. Incidentally, after doing this I realized that the Suhr SL68 is awesome, but could probably be improved even further by adding an additional Treble Cut knob in the circuit after that PPI master control, which would help "restore" a more true "dimed Plexi" tone at low volumes, because I learned that as you turn the PPI Master down from 10 in this amp, treble response increases drastically, so decreasing it with a High Cut after the preamp helps bring it back to what it was at 10.

There are endless little things like this I've discovered in the time I've owned an Axe-Fx. And, as it will no-doubt improve and become more accurate and more feature-rich over time, I'm looking forward to learning even more about the electric guitar as that happens.

edit: oh yeah, my favorite physical thing to go with the Axe-Fx that I wouldn't have otherwise bought would be an RJM Mastermind MIDI board.

Nice! I didn't realise we even had that as an option. Did a quick search and found this from 2014!!:
Post PI MV

Just tried it on the Solo 100 Lead amp I am currently using in a preset and PHWOAR it was good! I had a drive block going into that amp but with the Post PI MV the drive block is not needed anymore and I even have to pull back on the gain a bit!

Back
Top Bottom