Your favorite traditional 2x12 guitar cab

where in Mass are you? if you're anywhere near walpole check out the Axe palace, Nick (the owner) ususally has a bunch
of cabs that guitar centers wouldn't have

Depends on which amp I'm using.

I have a 2x12 Mesa Recto cab that originally came with EVM12Ls. I didn't even know such cabs existed until I bought it on Craigslist. As you can imagine it's as heavy as Thor's hammer (and it can do 400W!). But it does sound pretty great. I also have 2 Mesa Thieles with the same speaker. EVM12L tend to work great with Mesa amps in particular.

With Marshall-style amps I have yet to find anything more versatile than the good ol' Vintage 30 in a closed back Mesa 2x12. I suppose it's probably because I'm used to them and know what to expect and how to dial them in, but still. Hard to go wrong with V30 - that's why Celestion is selling so many. Especially if you mic it properly. A closed back cab is, well, just a box to put speakers into. In a closed back cab most of the tonal influence will be from the speakers. And Mesa knows how to make cabs.

The EVM12L, in my experience, is a great speaker, especially when you need to get really loud without the speaker breaking up. It takes on the personality of the amp you’re using, which can be good or bad, but it’s a good thing when you want less speaker coloration than something like a Greenback or Creamback would interject.

I’m a big fan of the EVM12L ...precisely because of the things you mentioned.

What other speakers you know of operate the same way or similar?

I think the JBL130 or the 120 do as well?

Wolverine Custom 2x12.

It's a DIY-cab (18 mm birch, acoustically optimized, 35 kg) and loaded with 2 WH-80 Marshall "Wolverines", that Celestion made (about 2000 pcs.)
The speakers are soundwise a crossover between a Mesa Black Shadow and a Classic Lead 80.
It's loud as hell and has the best mids I know from any guitar cab. But ok, it's mine. ;-) I wanted it that way.Wolverine Custom 2x12.jpg

Wolverine Custom 2x12.

It's a DIY-cab (18 mm birch, acoustically optimized, 35 kg) and loaded with 2 WH-80 Marshall "Wolverines", that Celestion made (about 2000 pcs.)
The speakers are soundwise a crossover between a Mesa Black Shadow and a Classic Lead 80.
It's loud as hell and has the best mids I know from any guitar cab. But ok, it's mine. ;-) I wanted it that way.View attachment 59496
That was the first cab pack I bought from u.....still great, but any plans for a V2 version....?

That was the first cab pack I bought from u.....still great, but any plans for a V2 version....?
What if I tell you, that the "V2-Wolverine" is already finished and got bigger and better? ;-)

There is just a real nice class-A combo amp from 1965, which is loaded with Pulsonic Silver Bulldogs, that will be released as new cab pack first on Halloween, before we let the V2-Wolverine out of the cage. ;-)

I've got a Bruno open back 2x12 cab that is the best sounding cab I have ever played. It's made of solid wood (pine I believe) and is standard sized (for a 2x12) but the baffle has a slight upward angle. It's loaded with 2x Tone Tubby AlNiCos, and it makes sweet sounds. Love it.

I’m a big fan of the EVM12L ...precisely because of the things you mentioned.

What other speakers you know of operate the same way or similar?

I think the JBL130 or the 120 do as well?
I haven’t played on JBLs in a long time, but I remember them being a lot the same in old Twins. Some thought they sounded cold (a knock sometimes put on the EVs too) but I just thought they sounded like the amp, powerful and clean. If there was a down side, you could actually crank a Twin into them, and that was deafening. Literally.

I haven’t played on JBLs in a long time, but I remember them being a lot the same in old Twins. Some thought they sounded cold (a knock sometimes put on the EVs too) but I just thought they sounded like the amp, powerful and clean. If there was a down side, you could actually crank a Twin into them, and that was deafening. Literally.
Yes precisely.....kinda like hearing the amp uncolored by speakers per se and as you put it! Full sounding 👍🏻

I know you're not looking for V30s, but some of the classic combos like a V30 and a Greenback, or a Heritage 30 and a V30 can be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom