Your Favorite Third Party IR Bundles

I think many agree with e.g. York Audio's ear in dialing multi-mic mixes and having someone do the hard work lets you, the IR pack buyer, get results you like faster.

Yes, York has a good ear and know-how. I have a number of their packs.

I mostly use ML Sound Lab MIKKO because I can dial in my own mix (and enjoy Mikko's preset sounds as well) easily by moving mics around a virtual speaker. Makes IR mixing child's play. I see this as the future of cab sims and hope that Fractal offers something similar in their next gen products, whenever those might appear.

I agree 100%. The user interface is head and shoulders above the rest.

The only bad thing about ML Sound Lab is that they focus too much on the rock/metal speaker stuff so it's 95% 4x12s when I could use some 1x12s, 2x12s, 10" models etc.

He has denied that, but there were a lot if metal-specific cabs and a 'Fender Combo' to choose from the last time I looked - no clue as to which Fender combo, though. I have a number of them that adapt well to less head-banger tones....

So far, I typically don't even load the individual mics from packs I get, for two reasons. First off, there's just too many, by a couple orders of magnitude. Second, I buy packs from makers whose work I like, which says to me that I like their ear/judgement, so using their hand-done mixes takes further advantage of that.

That said, even with the pretty darn large collection of IRs I have,a lot but not all from my pre-Fractal days, in the end I often use factory cabs.

For one thing they're good. For another, if I'm going to explore an amp I don't know, I'll often start with any relevant factory presets, which of course use factory cabs.

When I do try some of my user IRs, sometimes they'll stick, but often I'll stay with the factory ones.

Any year now that'll translate into me not feeling like buying more third party ones...

Yes, York has a good ear and know-how. I have a number of their packs.

I agree 100%. The user interface is head and shoulders above the rest.

He has denied that, but there were a lot if metal-specific cabs and a 'Fender Combo' to choose from the last time I looked - no clue as to which Fender combo, though. I have a number of them that adapt well to less head-banger tones....
While e.g. 4x12s with Greenbacks etc are "vintage tone friendly", the majority of cabs he offers for MIKKO at least are 4x12s. The only smaller than 4x12s are a Fender combo with Celestion A-Type, Suhr 2x12 with Celestion V-Type, Zilla 2x12 with G12H75 Creambacks and 2x12 Vox AC30 w/ Pulsonic cones.

To be fair, other IR makers are just as guilty of focusing more on 4x12s. I hope to never see another 4x12 with V30s IR pack on the market at this point.

It has made me really appreciate the assortment of stock cabs in the Fractal factory banks because there's a lot of things that are poorly represented by 3rd party IR makers, probably because e.g. 10" speakers or smaller are less popular so they expect they won't sell.

I keep coming back to the Ownhammer GNR pack... it's perfect.
This is still my go to pack and I've tried a lot. The amount of options is staggering.
If I had one IR pack. It would have to be this.
For my early VH patches I couple GNR D545M01 with RAW R121-00 on a BRIT 800. I love it. Another in the same realm is the ORNG 412 Standard pack with the m25. It gets some attention as well.

For v30 high gain metal tastes, I use York's BGNR v30 pack. Between those 2 packs. You can cover basically everything. (at least I do)

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost track of this one.

As my update, I've tried a few and the ones that stuck are both York Audio:

• Larry Mitchell was awesome enough to share his YA Marshall 2x12 with his gift of tone. That thing is just amazing to be honest and is generally the first IR I'll try in most situations. It is the perfect amount of body and warmth while still coming through the mix really well. I use this for all of my jazz, funk, fusion stuff.
  • Friedman 4x12 capture. I bought this bundle a while back and it is my total go-to for any high gain stuff. The funny thing is that I auditioned a few at home and after playing in the full band context, I ended up selecting the blended speakers with the FRED mix ("Fredman mic'ing technique"). I actually didn't like this one very much on its own, but MAN it works in a hard rock mix.

I recently bought the Kerry Wright 4x12 bundle after reading Scott Henderson's endorsement (he has traditionally railed against IRs). It hasn't quite found a place for me yet, but I still have hope.

I lost track of this one.

As my update, I've tried a few and the ones that stuck are both York Audio:

• Larry Mitchell was awesome enough to share his YA Marshall 2x12 with his gift of tone. That thing is just amazing to be honest and is generally the first IR I'll try in most situations. It is the perfect amount of body and warmth while still coming through the mix really well. I use this for all of my jazz, funk, fusion stuff.
  • Friedman 4x12 capture. I bought this bundle a while back and it is my total go-to for any high gain stuff. The funny thing is that I auditioned a few at home and after playing in the full band context, I ended up selecting the blended speakers with the FRED mix ("Fredman mic'ing technique"). I actually didn't like this one very much on its own, but MAN it works in a hard rock mix.

I recently bought the Kerry Wright 4x12 bundle after reading Scott Henderson's endorsement (he has traditionally railed against IRs). It hasn't quite found a place for me yet, but I still have hope
I heard the KW acts as a good direct replacement for his previously released MRSH 412 M25. I find the mixes lack low end on the latter but the separate mic stuff brings in some thickness. Having said that, I'm also not a big fan of the new Ownhammer stuff. I think the former stuff was fuller sounding which is what I look for. If I want to cut the lows, I'll cut them but if they are already stripped out, it's not my thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ownhammer revolution bundle is really good value for money, I also use some of Mbritt IRs for cleaner /edge of breakup stuff

for all the heavier stuff (death/thrash metal etc..) I've found best results for me with OTTO cabs, their black bundle is great as a starting point

Bassist here - the Celestion Pulse 15, 12 and 10 are great. But the Bergantino IR's through the Celestion site are amazing.
I use Bergantino Cabs with my Genzler head and the IR's are as close as you can get. Would love to hear a DynaCab version of the Bergantino's.

Ownhammer rock box V30 EN for almost ALL of my presets. Stereo A3 with blend-3. Highpass @ 90, Lowpass @ 7K. Otherwise my in-ears sound too buzzy. I'm basically in the classic rock/pop and worship genres.
Of the in-box IRs I usually use the ML made. Legacy 58 and 59.
I have all of these:

Schermafbeelding 2023-10-12 om 10.02.56.png

Can't say i gelled much with the DynaCabs. None of them get the low end I like and every position sounds honky to me. I could do without the 3 times longer start-up time of the FM3. Especially since I had a freeze mid-song on stage.

Last edited:
Robben Ford is all Dumbles. All the time.

Lettieri uses a combo of PRS, Fenders and Supro Amps.

John Scofield uses Vox30s and Mesa Boogie Mark 1s.

Allan Hinds is all over the place with his amps.

You may want to give those amps a try as far as emulating the artists' sounds. Except Hinds, LOL.
on the road, robben uses a rented twin and a zendrive or gladio

Back
Top Bottom