Your favorite patches that come with the AxeFX?

DreadCthulhu

I was wondering which of the patches that the FX comes packed with you guys found to be great and use all the time. So far I'm personally a fan of:

- Studio Lead (probably my most used distorted tone)
- Another Brick
- East Wes
- The Brown Sounds
- Clean Pop Rhythm (most used clean)

I feel I'm missing a rich and warm fendery lightly distorted tone. I saw Jonathan Coulton on tour yesterday and he had such a great warm tone that I feel I need it in my arsenal. Any suggestions?

I am brand new, like three weeks ago, but I really like:

- Damage Nexus
- Touch Wah
- Envelope Phaser
- Mark IV
- Early Carlos

One very revealing thing I've done is to use Yek's list by amp, and just go in and take away stuff like drive and just listen to various amp's clean tones, like a SOLDANO! So much fun ahead!

Solar Eclipse - But I decreased the delay mix a bit to get the initial notes to sound a little louder.

+1. Solar Eclipse goes well with some kinds of down-tempo chordal work; you just need to give the notes time to bloom. Also, The Brown Sound is just about spot on with my guitar. The Studio Lead patches are also fun to play with, as is Full Plexi.

* Brown Sound
* Modern Eddie
* MkIV Lead
* Carlos Lead
* So Many Roads }
* That's MISTER Dumble } Can you tell I am a Joe Bonamassa fan?? :)

On the odd occasion:

* Brian May Lead
* Plexi 1
* Driven Plexi

Still looking for a good replication of an 'Angus Young' tone...might have to make one up myself or download another patch. I really like Yek's JCM-800 preset, but it doesn't break up enough through my amp (I am running my Axe-FX into the Effects loop Input on my Mesa-Boogie DC-10 and using the amp as the power amp - because of this, I have bypassed cab sims so this will have a lot to do with it).

Still looking for a good replication of an 'Angus Young' tone...
Have you tried 044 Hell's Bells? It sounds pretty close running FRFR. I'm not sure how close you can come with your DC-10 — FRFR has spoiled me when it comes to dialing tones.

Have you tried 044 Hell's Bells? It sounds pretty close running FRFR. I'm not sure how close you can come with your DC-10 — FRFR has spoiled me when it comes to dialing tones.

Hi Rex,

Yes, I did try 'Hells Bells', and it is really nice, but through the DC-10, it sounded like Angus was locked in a chest and draped with a wet blanket! :) I think I am going to have to invest in some nice powered speaker to get the best tones out of my Axe-FX... :)

Hi Rex,

Yes, I did try 'Hells Bells', and it is really nice, but through the DC-10, it sounded like Angus was locked in a chest and draped with a wet blanket! :mrgreen I think I am going to have to invest in some nice powered speaker to get the best tones out of my Axe-FX... :)

I hear you. If your goal is to match different tones, FRFR is the only way to go. A guitar cab really locks you in to a few fairly narrow ranges of tone.

Have you tried the Hell's Bells preset with the cab sim turned off? It might get you closer.

Petrucci Rhythm, and The Cranked Recto are my favorites right now. But, I'm hard pressed to find any I simply don't like. This is very rare especially for those of us who remember the good ole days of the Digitech 2120's line.
There might be a few I'd never use, but there are far more than ever, that I will use, and more that I never thought Id be able to create, or think of creating that Ive found more than useful.

@ Soundshell

The 2120's !! Yeah, I remeber....I have two 2101's for sale, and the mighty J-12 all metal foot/pedal board w/ 2 expression pedals (its only a 5 pin).

East Wes is probably the one stock patch that I go to all the time. The Uberchug one is pretty good too.

@Rex - Thanks for that, yes with the cab sim bypassed it sounds better, but doesn't have that true AC/DC grit and thump.

@dodo - Thanks for the link to that article, I will try that patch and see how I go

Apologies for the short thread hijack OP and everyone else. Back to the regular scheduled programming...

Back
Top Bottom