Your favorite music documentaries

Beyond the Supernova. Maybe one of the best music documentaries I've ever seen. The filmmaker, ZZ Satriani, has some serious cinematography chops. I think it's only available on Qello (which I would highly recommend subscribing to anyway). Here's the trailer:

+1 on the Wrecking Crew.
Since I didn't see them mentioned previously, Gary Moore has a fantastic concert vid shot in the 2000s that was a tribute to Phil Lyncott, of which I don't recall the name. Toto has a great concert video, shot I think in Europe in the 2000s, of which I similarly do not recall the name. (Notice a pattern here?) Steve Lukather does a great version of Bodhisattva and many other tunes.

The Last Polka, LOL! (My wife and I were in Buffalo over Labor Day weekend in September, and at our hotel was the "International Polka Band Conference!" Needless to say, while I admire the musicians and musicianship, it definitely was not our scene!)

There was a couple that appeared to be in their late 70's or 80's, and I put on my best old curmudgeon act as I remarked that I can't get into that loud, new-fangled devil polka music! (It was loud!). It made them laugh!

And I have seen and liked many others that have already been mentioned!

Recently re-watched the SRV bio in 2 segments. Played Rivera Paradise for a few days ... was kinda sad - he was quite special, particularly considering the music of the early 1980s. Tried Scuttle Butlin’ but that tempo!

Back on topic.

Sound city, it might get loud, and the long video about Rush. (Again, the grief of N. Peart was impactful.)

I’ve seen others, like Skynard et al. Interesting views into the lives of many and the related emotions.

Cool thread; thx!

This is a great thread. So many of my favorites were already mentioned, so I'll just add to the list and try not to repeat any.

Foo Fighters: Back And Forth
The Smart Studios Story
Turn It Up! - A Celebration Of The Electric Guitar
U2: From The Sky Down
Beach Boys Making Of Pet Sounds
Sunset Strip
Kansas: Miracles Out Of Nowhere
Bruce Springsteen: Wings For Wheels - The Making Of Born To Run
Beautiful Dreamer - Brian Wilson and the Story of "Smile"
Quiet Riot: Well Now You're Here, There's No Way Back

I just finished Hired Gun. Pretty good stuff!

The Rudy Sarzo / Brad Gillis segment about Randy Rhoads' death almost pulled a few tears out - damn... ;(

I just saw the Joan Jett Bio, "Bad Reputation". It started good, but faltered a bit.
Tom Petty Running Down a Dream is fantastic.
Wrecking Crew is great
Rush's last Documentary is awesome
There's one out there on Glen Campbell that's really good
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over
Hired Gun is good

I just saw the Joan Jett Bio, "Bad Reputation". It started good, but faltered a bit.
Tom Petty Running Down a Dream is fantastic.
Wrecking Crew is great
Rush's last Documentary is awesome
There's one out there on Glen Campbell that's really good
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over
Hired Gun is good
The Glen Campbell one is a heartbreaker....
saw Eagles live last week, and they were amazing sounding despite the sad absence of Glenn Frey, but still hard to believe they carry on with all that baggage.......

I remembered another one that was very interesting.

Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?

The Eagles one on Netflix (US) is great! They're my wife's favorite band, and after watching that documentary, I loved them a whole lot more!

Sound City was pretty interesting. It focused on the recording studio located in Seattle that recorded a lot of musicians in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, and specifically about the Neve mixing console they had that seemed to be a legend for some of the musicians that recorded there (mostly Dave Grohl).

I remembered another one that was very interesting.

Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?
The scene where the guy from the Monkees said Harry called to party and so he went out with him and eventually woke up three days later in a massage parlor in Mexico? or something like that...awesome.

And the day Harry gets married and everyone was giving him coke, even the preacher, and Ringo Starr was his best man. Sorry for a couple spoilers, but great stuff in that doc. He was a very talented singer with a huge range.

The scene where the guy from the Monkees said Harry called to party and so he went out with him and eventually woke up three days later in a massage parlor in Mexico? or something like that...awesome.

And the day Harry gets married and everyone was giving him coke, even the preacher, and Ringo Starr was his best man. Sorry for a couple spoilers, but great stuff in that doc. He was a very talented singer with a huge range.

His earliest albums were absolutely hypnotic...the later stuff to me reflected his dissolution......

Sorry for a couple spoilers, but great stuff in that doc.

More spoilers: Wasn't there one about him arguing with his producer at some restaurant about what direction to go in with the music, and who was in charge of the recording session. And I guess it was a pretty heated argument. Then they both realized they were totally late for that days session. So they ran back to the studio quick, and he ran up to the mic and nailed "Without You" in the first take. And that's what went on the album.

There’s a documentary on Netflix about Chicago. So many great songs and the guitarist/singer was so good. And WOW...they liked to party!!! It’s great to see they moved on after Cetera left and had success. Cetera comes off like a total douch.

Just finishing up The End of The End.

Black Sabbath performing their final concert.

Really enjoyed it.

Bittersweet... They were in great form, but it has to end sometime and going out on your own terms is good.

They are in my top 3 all time bands with KISS and Van Halen.

49 years!

Back
Top Bottom