Your favorite guitar (that you own) and why...

That is gorgeous. What a beautiful instrument. Carvin does some incredible stuff these days. How do you like the Wilkinson trem on that guitar?

A 2011 solar PC-1 that I recently bought. It just feels right, sounds right, and the sustainer is a ton of fun when I use it. It almost makes me want to sell all my other guitars and get a PC-1 in every color.

Buy used though, the fucking things are retardedly overpriced new.

As far as PC-1 tops go this one is not the greatest, but I got it in mint condition for $1850, so I'm not complaining.

Last edited:
PRS SC-58 built by Gary Brawer to Neal Schon Specs. PRS Factory routed for Floyd Rose, Fernandes sustainer and switches, Ebony board, Neal's pickups/single-coil mode.
Had it Plek'd. Love this thing. Plays great, sounds great. The sustainer is great for slow passages and effects.

Damn that's nice! I could only click the like button once though.

Dad's old (1970) Guild F50. Because, of course, it was dad's, and is a sweet acoustic. Her name is Louise. She's a keeper!

2nd place goes to my commissioned concert classical guitar, built by William Henderson of Baltimore, MD. (He was head of dentistry at Johns Hopkins, and just happened to make some really nice guitars on the side...)

That is gorgeous. What a beautiful instrument. Carvin does some incredible stuff these days. How do you like the Wilkinson trem on that guitar?

Thanks for the compliment man!

The trem is typical Wilkie, with the headstock angle that Carvin uses you can't really get too crazy with dive bombs just light vibrato other wise things come back sharp. I have tried all the tricks known and they didn't work.

I have a locking Floyd pro that I bought a while ago but still having reservations on installing it... that and it hasn't really been a big priority. I'll more then likely just leave it alone and pick up another guitar that I can install the Floyd in, the top on this guitar is kind of too pretty to carve up ;).

A 2011 solar PC-1 that I recently bought. It just feels right, sounds right, and the sustainer is a ton of fun when I use it. It almost makes me want to sell all my other guitars and get a PC-1 in every color.

Buy used though, the fucking things are retardedly overpriced new.

As far as PC-1 tops go this one is not the greatest, but I got it in mint condition for $1850, so I'm not complaining.

I came real close to buying one of these when they first came out and for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger, they are really nice guitars though!

I like the quilt on that PC-1. It almost looks like a subtle tiger stripe. I've played a Redrum. I almost bought it, but went with a Taylor acoustic instead. The baseball bat neck scared me off. I know now that I could live with it. I still kind of want one as a stunt guitar with the sustainer, but the gas list is long and I kind of want to buy some small builder guitars next.

Thanks for the compliment man!

The trem is typical Wilkie, with the headstock angle that Carvin uses you can't really get too crazy with dive bombs just light vibrato other wise things come back sharp. I have tried all the tricks known and they didn't work.

According to Carvin's web site, they use an 8.25 degree angle on the headstock. Seems like if it has locking tuners, it should be able to stay in balance. If you're ever near Bellevue, take it to Mike Lull. He's a legend for good reason, and I would think he could sort it out.

My black strat has a 2-point trem and locking tuners. It originally had a Wilkinson roller nut, but I couldn't get it stop rattling so when I had the guitar refretted I asked the luthier to replace the nut with a standard slotted version. It's been MUCH more stable since then, which is counter-intuitive. When I restring, I pull the string pretty tightly through the post before tightening the lock, so once I get the string up to tune, there is always less than one wrap around the post. The locking tuners seem to keep the whole thing nicely in tune, even with vigorous whammification. During our versions of "Scary Monsters" and "Beauty and the Beast" I basically assault my guitar to conjure up those wild sounds, and it remains in tune.

I don't have a #1 favorite guitar, but I wish I did. I guess I'm still trying to find it.

It was easier when I only owned one :), right now I have 15. I've owned somewhere around 50 others that got re-sold after I'd spent time with them, the most I'd ever had at one time was around 20.

This is not meant to brag, if anything it's kinda dumb and I know it. Though there are far 'dumber' out there by this standard.. probably a few on this forum. :)

I'm saying all this to build up to my point. The problem is, the more guitars I try out, the more clear it is that NO one guitar is perfect. Obviously, you want different guitars for different styles and tones, so my favorite will depend largely on what music I'm trying to play at that moment.

But besides that, even if you narrow the scope down to a specific guitar style.. say.. 'Strats'.. I have a hard time picking a favorite, and I only have two right now. I've owned lots of others before, so I have lots of basis for evaluation. The two I have are both really nice, but one sounds better on the bridge pickup, the other sounds better in the other positions. One neck feels better, but the other one seems to stay in tune longer and has better hardware. There are other areas where neither one is as good as some other I sold off a few years ago.

So while it's been all fun and good acquiring many guitars, I feel like I'm getting to the point where I'm trapped in a spiral. I keep wanting to try more in search of 'perfection' that probably doesn't exist, and as a result I'm never 100% happy with what I've got.

I'm similar to Robboman, decent collection of instruments.

But I trade / sell away until I get one that I bond with. I've got my Les Paul and Strat that I love dearly.

For some other instruments, I enjoy buying them, upgrading / modding, and selling. It's a hobby of sorts. I just love messing with guitars.

I still have my first electric guitar, late 50's Gibson single cut Melody Maker. I recently had it upgraded to Tone Pro's butter bean Kluson tuners and reliced Tone Pro's wraparound bridge. I am in love with this guitar lol Mainly for sentimental reasons. But it is a tone MONSTER. Quite noisy though. I have to turn around while tracking to find the position where the pickup noise is least :)

As with OP, my favorite guitar is my '07 EBMM JP6 Mystic Dream (w/Piezo). Having owned many Ibanez (my 2nd favorite brand), Strats, Les Pauls, even a PRS over the years, I found the JP6 to be my hands down favorite. Keep in mind I'm not a super Petrucci fan boy, but after trying one out in a store, I was hooked! Neck is nice and thin, low action, super stable bridge/tuner, weight CG is perfect, and the Piezo/Humbucker mesh changed my sound forever!

I fact I loved it so much I bought another one last year, with the newer pickups and dot-inlays. I found I like the sound of the OLDER PUs better. Thus it's still mint and stays in it's case. (I actually tried to sell this one for my Axe FX, but the value of these has uber dropped since the Majesty came out.) I'd love to try a Majesty with it's through neck and nice cutaway to the upper frets...but I'm still recovering from my Axe investment in December!

EBMM_JP6.jpg

216d841fcb472bd68696c7d0e69ee81d.jpg

Red Special Super - one of about 90 ever made in Japan by Kz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a PRS swamp ash special with two 5708 narrow fields and 5708 humbucker that I love! Second would be my custom forshage Orion with SD p-rails.

b7ec30e3f2f137a9e9cbcb2fffa8479e.jpg

I picked up this Custom 24 Floyd a few weeks ago and besides sounding and looking incredible, it plays better and more effortless than any other guitar I've played (which has been a pretty long list).

I really like the PRS \Metal/ pickups - they work really well with the Axe-Fx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I have too many to list but it's got to be one of my PRSs. Bare in mind that I've got 4 EBMM JPs and none of them are in my top 3. :lol

It's got to be my PRS Navarro Custom 24 (USA) dammit why did they have to make an SE version of it? :lol

Here are a couple of clips:

Back
Top Bottom