Your favorite concerts you saw in 2019?

PumpkinKing86

Experienced
We are close to the end of 2019 here, folks. So, what were your favorite concerts you saw this year?

For me, the Aristocrats show I saw at Club Red in Arizona was probably the most awe-inspiring from a technical level, but overall I'd say my favorite show I saw this year was Jenny Lewis at the Van Buren. I've long been a fan of her songwriting and vocal prowess with Rilo Kiley and as a solo artist. I was not let down by this show! Her presentation, her band, the guitar tones, the vocal harmonies, the overall sound... It was a spectacular show that I enjoyed with some close friends.

As far as Axe-FX related shows I saw, Phantogram at the Van Buren probably represented some of the more unique guitar tones that are capable with a Fractal that is out there. That was a fun show and I'd be curious to look at some of the presets that Josh Carter uses. They're a really cool band if you're looking for some darker dance pop. They also did a record with Big Boi from OutKast.

So what about you? What shows blew you away this year? Whether a Fractal product was involved or not, let's hear it!

This year I saw Tedeschi Trucks Band at Fox Theatre in Oakland. Great show!

I also saw The Aristocrats at Harlow's in Sacramento. I believe that was the opening show for the US tour. Amazing as always!

Saw the Experience Hendrix show in Davis - very cool and some great musicians. Dweezil was there with his Axe Fx III :)

And I'm also a big fan of Rilo Kiley and Jenny Lewis.

Not many shows this year... but the best was probably Jon Anderson in Boulder. Great band, brought new life to the Yes classics plus looked to be having just a great time up there.

Not many shows this year... but the best was probably Jon Anderson in Boulder. Great band, brought new life to the Yes classics plus looked to be having just a great time up there.
Cool! The Boulder Theater I'm guessing? I saw Dweezil Zappa there back when I lived in Colorado.

I went to The Aristocrats at Club Red

It was GREAT, great show- wasn't really familiar at all with their music but it was really great.

It might be the best of the year because Marco was probably the best drummer if not top 3 I've seen live.

I think I only went to 5 shows this year.

I've seen hundreds of bands a year- now only a few- bands i've seen 5 times already are now charge $100-150 for what should be a $40 show.

NOW the best show of the year?

And I'm going to sound batshit crazy

I used to listen to rap music and in the late 90s in Phoenix if you were here- I was like 11-12-13 it was 'party radio 1039' they'd play kinda everything

Friend of mine was visiting from out of town and we met up-- we were hanging out and he mentioned ICP was in concert (insane clown posse)

I said "I'd go f-it' I listened to them when I was 12/13. Met up later that night went to the show

It was crazy- bat shit crazy- i met 3 people there who just got out of prison.

I heard they throw 2 liters of rootbeer on the crowd- they came on stage- there was baskets full of 50-60 2 liters- their clown backup dancers kept filling it the entire night- they probably shook into the crowd 300-400+ 2 liters of diet FAGO root beer cola

Everyone was chanting their chants and 'FAM-IL-Y' and everyone was there to have fun- and the crowd was super fun and accepting- and bad shit crazy- i loved it

I'm going to go anytime they're in town again

As a rock/shred/progressive fan- It was kind of nice to see people having fun- knowing the music is stupid or shitty- or- as a way to let out steam/anger/be an outlet.... and not be around pretentious music nerds.

Several great shows this year - Nick Mason, Slayer/LOG/Amon Amarth/CanCorpse, Judas Priest, Winery Dogs, Muse, Jason Isbell/Father John Misty, Yes/Asia/Carl Palmer's ELP, Queen, Smashing Pumpkins/Noel Gallager, Bryan Ferry, Mark Knopfler, Iron Maiden. I'm dialing back as I close in on 200 shows lifetime. Next year I'm seeing The Who (postponed from Sep), Opeth, and Dwight Yoakam so far.

Not loads of gigs, but off the top of my head:

Kris Barras Band in a club in Hull, brilliant blues rock band. Crowd were crap
Steely Dan, as excellent as you'd expect. Jon's tone and playing were fantastic, and I was close enough to hear his cabs
ZZ Top, Wembley Arena. Really hate to say, but the Rev seemed old, really old. Didn't play great. And he's one of my top 5 ever.
Ghost, saw them last night. Totally entertaining show, a few genuine laughs, great songs, the crowd loved it, and the guitar tones were phenomenal. Very entertained

Off to see Vivian Campbells' Last in Line next week at a little club in Nottingham I saw them in a few years ago and they were fantastic. Really looking forward to it.
Gonna see Dweezil Zappa's show the following week, more AXEIII goodness no doubt

The "Yardbirds" live @the Tin Pan, in Richmond, VA. Even though they didn't have Eric, Jeff or Jimmy with them they still killed it!

Guess it’s a sign of age when the best shows I saw were tributes: Get the Led Out and the Fab Faux. Saw Deep Purple too on their farewell. The opening band for them was Joyous Wolf and they were really good and captured a classic rock feel.

Peter Frampton’s Finale show at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, The Woodlands, Texas. After a bad mix ruined the opener (Jason Bonham LZE), Pete came on and did a great set, with a tight band and a proper mix. I’ve been a fan since the mid 70s but never got to see him live, so this was a “correcting the universe” concert.

ELO
Dweezil's HOT RATS tour
Herbie Hancock/Kamasi Washington
Stones
Steely Dan
King Crimson
the WHO
geezers rule.

I don't get out much these days except to play.

Saw the ThePianoGuys (of Youtube fame) the night before last. They were amazing.

I went from seeing from more than 50 shows a year to maybe 3, so it's been kind of a light year. Part of the problem is that I guess I relied on my ex-gf too much, as she managed to find every interesting show in a 500 mile radius. I'm always finding out about cool shows after they're over. I apparently don't even know where to look. Just reading this thread I'm like, WTF, which was __ touring.

My best was probably the Judas Priest Firepower tour. I really enjoyed that one. I didn't even know it was happening though. I just happened to be in Las Vegas for an unrelated thing, and saw they were there that night.

Last edited:
Best one I saw in 2019 was Iron Maiden in September. Band sounded great and the show MIGHT have been the best one I’ve ever seen from them. (Been seeing them since 1984) Great setlist for the hardcore Maiden fans too. Just awesome. They haven’t really lost a step.

Best one I saw was Joe Bonamassa back in February. It was my first time seeing him live, and he sure puts on a great show. I was just in awe of his mastery of the instrument. Great mix, tone, and volume that night too. Can’t wait to see him again next February!

I also saw Greta Van Fleet back in May which was fun too. I was about five people deep from the stage, and it was awesome to see them up close. So much energy from them, but it was just stupid loud. I’ll be wearing ear plugs next time. Haha

Another vote for The Aristocrats. I hadn't really listened to much of their music (though I've listened to a lot of Guthrie's other stuff, and a bunch of projects Marco has been on) so I wasn't sure if it would just be a total wankfest or actually good music. I really enjoyed it.

I also saw Herbie Hancock, which was a lifelong dream of mine. Absolutely amazing show, hard to believe how well and with how much energy he plays for an 80 year old guy. Even shredding on a keytar. Very inspiring.

Another one was Steven Wilson. I'd been a long-time fan of his as well, and unfortunately the last time he came to play here in Vancouver his father passed away so the show was cancelled. This one was also amazing. Not only great musicianship all around but also a lot of emotion. Steven's a great songwriter above all else, but is also able to recruit top tier players to realize his vision. He had Alex Hutchings on guitar this time around and he's just phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom