Your favorite amp/effects for that 'karaang' chord?

BillyZeppa

Power User
Hey guys,

So what is your favorite 'crash chord' amp and cab?

I'm trying to get an amp tone for some 'crashing chords'.

You know, the kind of chord smash that sounds fairly clean, but real powerful,
like a parts of 'Carasol Unbra' -
bash(B), bash(B), bash(C#) ,...... (weeeeee(F),weeeeee(G#)......)

You know the part i'm talking about ;)

Another example of the application is in the chorus of 'Four Sticks' -
(baaa(D#), baaa(C#), baaa(D#), baaa(E), baaaaaa(F#)), Bash(B)....., Bash(B).....,

Any ideas?

My favorite flavor of karaangy chord is in the opening chords to The Outlaw's Green Grass and High Tides. Goes from clean to mean with the guitar volume knob. I use the 1970 100W Plexi as is with my guitar volume rolled down to 3 or 4, bridge humbucker split for Hughie's bridge strat tone. Bring the guitar volume up for more balls/drive.

Plexi and Vox style amps with a touch of breakup work really well for this. Compression is a big part of that sound. Natural amp compression is best IMHO as it can give a bit of dynamic hair on top too. It evens out the hard spank of the attack and gives fat sustain as well. A touch of chorus can make it sound wider and more shimmery and reverb can add to the full decay too.

Classic British style amps often breakup sooner but more gradually, so you have a wider range of those awesome "edge of breakup" type in-between tones that are full of natural compression and dynamic grit. Fender amps on the other hand, especially blackface style ones, usually have more headroom, breaking up later and more suddenly. They tend to go into a harder edge fuzz more quickly with a bit narrower range of in-between tones. Fender tweed models can often be a bit more dynamic but have less headroom. Marshall's earliest amps were basically slightly tweaked clones of the Fender tweed Bassman using UK sourced parts.

Not teaching to suck eggs but listen to an AC/DC D chord and compare with a D5 power chord. Overtones of open notes on a D always sound bigger or Pete Townshend chords. Massive and ring for hours...I can still hear them lol

What is a 'karaang' chord?

I have checked the songs you mentioned, but I don't hear the chords you mention. Maybe you play it in a different key?:

like a parts of 'Carasol Unbra' -
bash(B), bash(B), bash(C#) ,...... (weeeeee(F),weeeeee(G#)......)

Last edited:
Think I prefer kebaaanggg chords...
I think I prefer Ka-Bonnngg chords. :D

5380382979_96b9f81f9e_o.png

I agree with greiswig, definitely the HiWatt...jumpered.
HiWatt is a famous amp for kerrang.
You can almost 'hear' the metal in the strings.
HiWatts were built with military spec components and had Partridge transformers in them, so they were very 'hi-fi,' hence the kerrang.
And hit those chords hard!

I've never heard this term either.

"Kerrang" is not a specific chord, but rather the sound a power chord makes when you strum it in such a way with a quick down-up-down pattern. The first down is half way down the chord, the up is the same path going upwards, and the final down is the whole chord and you just let it ring out.

Some amps produce a more pleasing "Kerrang" than others. Old Marshalls can do it. Mesa Rectos, not so much. They specialize in a "Djent" chord.

HiWatts were built with military spec components and had Partridge transformers in them, so they were very 'hi-fi,' hence the kerrang.

Pete Townshend, a notorious HIWatt user, brought kerrang to an artistic high...

Agreed! Try it with the TAF Wem Star**** cab with Fanes...my current fav for alt country as well.

Back
Top Bottom