Your experience with .010, .013. Breakage?

Hey Guys,

I used: 011, .014, .018p, .028, .038, .049. Because of being able to stretch strings better without breakage, and lower risk of breakage playing live.

Ideally i'm looking to change to: .010, .013, .017, .028, .038, .049. For easier bends on the top 3 strings and less strain!

Do you think the B and High E strings are more likely to break in general even if the hardware is in perfect condition!
I say that because i am still trying different strings, but i love Daddario and Elixir's long lasting, even though Elixir's break more easily and have to much tension.

One of the solutions is to use Reinforced Strings but i don't want to be stuck with 1 brand or gauge only because of breakage workaround.

So i am asking those of you who have been playing for years and live; what's your experience?

PS: Do you find that having a low E, ".048", allows for more accurate pitch when pressing? I think when the string is too tick if you press too much, you go a bit sharp. Or it’s my impression?

I haven't broken a string in years mostly because I change them often. The difference between a .10 and .11 isn't much at all. If your frets are clean, you keep your guitar clean, strings are clean and you don't pick way harder than you should, there shouldn't be a reason for your strings to break.

Plus strings don't cost an arm and a leg. Just buy a pair and try them out.

I haven't broken a string in years mostly because I change them often. The difference between a .10 and .11 isn't much at all. If your frets are clean, you keep your guitar clean, strings are clean and you don't pick way harder than you should, there shouldn't be a reason for your strings to break.

Plus strings don't cost an arm and a leg. Just buy a pair and try them out.

My biggest problem is when streching them (i strech them hard), or doing big bends on the E string.
B breaks streching only mostly. E breaks more if .010; less if .011. That's been my experience anyway :(

My biggest problem is when streching them (i strech them hard), or doing big bends on the E string.
B breaks streching only mostly. E breaks more if .010; less if .011. That's been my experience anyway :(
Breaking strings from stretching (under standard pitch tuning) means you are doing something wrong or you have an issue somewhere on the guitar that is causing them to break.

I use 9s and in 30+ years of playing, I have probably broken maybe 20 strings.

I always stretch my strings thoroughly when doing string changes.

Also, you are posting in the Bass forum...

The tension on a string is directly proportional to its weight (per unit length). For a string like B or high E, its weight will be proportional to its cross-sectional area. So, I have absolutely no idea why a thicker string should be harder to break than a thinner string, at least at this time....

I would consider a string made with a different type of steel, and there seems to be a new Ernie Ball that might work for you,

https://www.ernieball.com/paradigm

Now, that said, I think that the ONLY reason to play thick strings is because you want the tension, and this might be because of your style, or because you prefer the different sound when a note first starts. Good luck, and try 8--38 some time if you like to bend!

The EB paradigm seem to be the next leap in guitar strings :D I am super excited to try them! Hope they will do plenty of tension gauges.
Yeah i like the tension in the upper strings! Better feel for more chunky, rock/metal tones.
This is my fav gauge: .010, .013, .017, .028, .038, .049.

8-38. No way; that would sound too thin! :D

Breaking strings from stretching (under standard pitch tuning) means you are doing something wrong or you have an issue somewhere on the guitar that is causing them to break.

I use 9s and in 30+ years of playing, I have probably broken maybe 20 strings.

I always stretch my strings thoroughly when doing string changes.

Also, you are posting in the Bass forum...

It's an ibanez "lo pro edge" and they usually break next to the saddles. "E" can break in the middle and so can "B".
I strech the hell out of them, so the guitar gets as stable in tune as possible.

Where's the guitar forum?

Last edited:
The EB paradigm seem to be the next leap in guitar strings :D I am super excited to try them! Hope they will do plenty of tension gauges.
Yeah i like the tension in the upper strings! Better feel for more chunky, rock/metal tones.
This is my fav gauge: .010, .013, .017, .028, .038, .049.

8-38. No way; that would sound too thin! :D

It's an ibanez "lo pro edge" and they usually break next to the saddles. "E" can break in the middle and so can "D".
I strech the hell out of them, so the guitar gets as stable in tune as possible.

Where's the guitar forum?
I own about 15 late '80s Ibanez guitars with original Edge trems. I never break strings.

If they break at the saddle, it's probably a sharp edge or groove.

If they break in the middle then you are probably over stretching. Try doing more stretching but less intense.

The whole site is pretty much a guitar forum ;)

The Lounge is probably the best place for your post... But whatever. I just didn't know if you realized where you posted.

I own about 15 late '80s Ibanez guitars with original Edge trems. I never break strings.

If they break at the saddle, it's probably a sharp edge or groove.

If they break in the middle then you are probably over stretching. Try doing more stretching but less intense.

The whole site is pretty much a guitar forum ;)

The Lounge is probably the best place for your post... But whatever. I just didn't know if you realized where you posted.

Edge are better than "Lo pro edge". That's what steve vai and satriani still use.
Yeah since E is what breaks most at the saddle i usually rub a pencil in it to smooth it.
Yeah this 1995 jem got to go to an expert for analysis like as if it were a formula 1 car; and check which parts need changing and care.

Man guitars do need a lot of maintenance!

This should the right place (unless it's software related).

Last edited:
I agree the nut, bridge, or some other issue is making the breaking too frequent.

I play with D'Addario 10's. I bend a lot, frequent 1 and 1 1/2 step bends. Don't break strings hardly at all.

Edge are better than "Lo pro edge". That's what steve vai and satriani still use.
Yeah since E is what breaks most at the saddle i usually rub a pencil in it to smooth it.
Yeah this 1995 jem got to go to an expert for analysis like as if it were a formula 1 car; and check which parts need changing and care.

Man guitars do need a lot of maintenance!

I realized where i posted; i was just being ironic. This is the right place; it's for bass and other instruments.
Should be guitar and other instruments, but whatever...
Actually, no. It is for bass and other instruments... As in, "not guitar", since as I mentioned the whole forum is pretty much for guitar.

Back
Top Bottom