Your D.A.W. of choice?

What D.A.W. do you connect your Axe Fx to?

• Pro Tools

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Logic Pro

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • Live

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Reaper

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • Cubase

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Samplitude

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Digital Performer

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Reason

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cakewalk

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Soundtrack Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've used various versions of Cakewalk over the years. Demoed Sonar X2 most recently. Dabbled with an old version of Cubase a tiny bit too. Made the switch to Reaper and really like it. It's been dead stable and I'm constantly surprised by how polished and feature rich it is. It's very flexible and the themes support is really cool too. You can make it look however you want from stripped down and simple to super flashy and photo realistic. With constant free updates, they are always adding new features. With any software, there's always a bit of adjustment to learn where everything is, but I like how customizable everything is. You can create shortcuts for just about anything, do scripting, automation, even write your own java script based plugins. For a measly $60, it's hard to find anything to complain about.

All these DAWs cover the same basic functionality. Some might include more extras than others, but I think it really just boils down to which interface you prefer and how much money you are willing to spend.

I use Sony Acid Pro as well.

For drum tracks, I sometimes build them in Fruity Loops first.

I have been thinking of moving to Reaper in the future.

I kinda like writing in Cubase but prefer editing and mixing things in Pro Tools. Probably because that's wha have used those particular tools for the most.

Great to have some company in the CW arena.

Also think it's great that there are so many fabulous DAWS for all of us to choose from. So many really good ones. Gotta love it!

Pro Tools (forced) user in professional studios where I work. Never loved so much but it's (or maybe was) the standard choice...
Reaper give me all I need in my project studio, so I vote for it: less $ (or €) for the DAW and more for outboard.

Look at that Reaper go..
What is reaper lacking that would justify spennding a shitload of money on something else?

Yes, for 60$ you have a complete DAW. What I really love to have in Reaper is the MIDI features Cubase has. Maybe the version 5 of Reaper will improve also that (beta versions show that VCA faders have been implemented and this is a great plus).
Another plus in Reaper is that the updates are free (at least for two major update) and released frequently (it reminds me someone else ;) )

Started with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 LONG ago

On Cakewalk Sonar Platinum now

Started on Cakewalk 1.0 LOOOOOOOOONG ago. Stayed with it until X3. I switched to Reaper because Sonar will not work with ASIO4ALL and the Axe-FX doesn't have enough audio interface channels to allow me to reamp without another audio interface.

If anyone out there has successfully used ASIO4ALL with Sonar, please chime in. I might stick with Reaper no matter what. I respect their product and business model, and Gibson now owns Cakewalk.

Last edited:
Yes, for 60$ you have a complete DAW. What I really love to have in Reaper is the MIDI features Cubase has. Maybe the version 5 of Reaper will improve also that (beta versions show that VCA faders have been implemented and this is a great plus).
Another plus in Reaper is that the updates are free (at least for two major update) and released frequently (it reminds me someone else ;) )

This. For those of use with a lot of electronic elements in our music, some daws are just a hassle to use. I would love to at least incorporate Reaper into my work flow, but the midi is just not well rounded enough. So, for now, I'm sticking with Ableton.

Back
Top Bottom