Your D.A.W. of choice?

What D.A.W. do you connect your Axe Fx to?

• Pro Tools

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Logic Pro

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • Live

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Reaper

Votes: 44 30.1%
  • Cubase

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Samplitude

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Digital Performer

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Reason

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cakewalk

Votes: 19 13.0%
  • Soundtrack Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
"DAW of choice" and "What I connect to" are two different programs.

Pro Tools hands down as DAW of choice, not because it's the best (which is debatable), but because it's a standard. Meaning, I could track in PT virtually anywhere in the world and import my project files into whatever fancy pants studio I may find myself in, and in all likelihood PT will be the featured DAW in a studio like that. That's a feature no other DAW comes close to touching.

Enjoy that while you can. Although I guess the plus side of PT slowly being shifted away from is that it will probably/hopefully lead to DAW companies finally moving to a unified file format.

Logic and Pro Tools are the usual go to in the industry. I went from Cubase > Acid > Sonar x3 with ezdummer 2 added. Ez drummer 2 is intuitive like Acid and SonarX3 finally has composite record AND composite editing to rival Logic for Windows.

Stipulation should be added: Illegal software does not count. If you want to use it, pay for it!

Even for free software and plugins, donate a few bucks to the developer for their hard work. Coders always need pizza and beer money!

I've been a Cakewalk -> Sonar guy for years. Wondering if anyone out there has switched from Sonar to something else will never look back?
Just curious

I actually started a thread similar not that long ago and what blew me away then is blowing my mind again with this poll.. the lack or Pro Tools being used as a main DAW.

I've been using Cubase since Atari days 1993, currently have Cubase Pro 8.
Recently I purchased Pro Tools 11 which is a great DAW but I'm taking baby steps learning how to use it. For this poll I chose Cubase because there was only one selection. Seeing as I tend to launch Cubase more often it is my main DAW.

I actually started a thread similar not that long ago and what blew me away then is blowing my mind again with this poll.. the lack or Pro Tools being used as a main DAW.

Pro Tools is just too damned expensive and complex for the average weekend warrior. I tried using it but gave up in frustration. :mad:

I purchased Sonar X1 and didn't really gel with that DAW, I did like the ability to use images for your tracks and Cubase Pro 8 has added this. (I'm convinced most DAW software designers borrow ideas from each other or their customers demand the functions) Pro Tools users are pressing for Freeze function.

Each to their own, its what your used to more than which one is better in the end

however Sonar has everything i need and i know the work flow back to front

Ditto here. I'm using SONAR because it pretty well does what I need it to, and because I've been using Cakewalk stuff for so long it's second nature. I have used Reaper and Studio One, but I end up wasting more time learning a new way of doing things than I do getting songs done. (Although I really like the nested folders and the way they work in Reaper, I still haven't used it enough to really be comfortable with it overall. Definitely my second choice though.)

I'm not sure yet which one I prefer the most between Reaper and Pro Tools but I am leaning towards Pro Tools 11 at the moment. I got a great deal on Pro Tools 11 & ILOK (10 also included) so I did not let the deal pass by. I have an account on Lynda.com and the Pro Tools video tutorials there are invaluable. They also have very good Reaper video tutorials among other great stuff I have yet to check out.

Enjoy that while you can. Although I guess the plus side of PT slowly being shifted away from is that it will probably/hopefully lead to DAW companies finally moving to a unified file format.

LOL, wouldn't that be nice!

Started with Cakewalk in the 3.0's I believe. Evolved to the Sonar series. Had a recording buddy that went iMac and we found ourselves incompatible on studio work. We could exchange file stems, etc., but it was just wiggy. Got an iMac and went Logic Pro. No regrets at all. Would never go back. Having said that Logic needs to get their crap together because X (IMHO) is nowhere near the simplicity and workflow Pro 9. They may have added a feature or two but it reminds me of Windows going Vista when they had the stability of XP.

Back
Top Bottom