Your best tip for a new Fractal user (AX8)?

kvebbs

Hi all,

I ordered my first Fractal Audio product yesterday, the AX8. I have no idea what I'm in for, and I'm not at all well versed in technical stuff beyond the knobs and dials usually found on an amp and stomps. Figured I try and trick you to give up some tips so I won't die of tweakadites when it arrives (early next week, I'd reckon).

- I'll RTFM, I promise.

- I've seen a lot a praise about the Fremen-preset package. As I understand it, the package is not only awesome in itself but a pretty decent shortcut to a better preset base than that found in the stock AX8. Is this right?

- What else? Go to sources for info? Essential topics? I'll be using it for recording with my monitors at home, through whatever amp is at the rehearsal space and through the PA live. Should I make three sets of presets from the start?

- In the longer run, I'll need some sort of "cab". I've seen a lot of people using flat response speakers, FRFRs I believe you call them. What would be your low/mid pricey tip? Is the Laney IRT-X any good?

Really, anything you wish you knew when you fist got this unit would be appreciated.

TL;DR: Things you wish you knew when you got your first Fractal Audio product.

Hopefully I'll be able to pitch in to pay you back once I get into this stuff!

Cheers

Welcome, congrats & get ready for the time of your life!!!!!! :cool:

Just put in the time on the unit, read & do the research that you are doing right now.

Build some basic amp/cab rigs from the ground up yourself 1st. Really get to know the tone controls of a very small handful of amp models & try to find your favorite IR's as well. The I.R. is just as important as the amp model, if not more & can really be a BIG part of the end sound.

Yek, Fremen & the Wiki page are your best friends..............& there are already plenty of great threads & helpful people here to guide your way......

I spend a ridiculous amount of time with amp & cab models ALONE.........I did this for weeks & weeks before building my playing out presets. You only need to go as deep as you want to here & a lot of the stock amp positions are spot on "As is" in my eyes.

It really sounds like you already understand that you are heading into deep waters & that alone puts you a head of the curve!

Peace! X-Mann

Last edited:
I've had the AX8 a week. Here's would be my advice.

1. Before buying any presets, take a little time to audition the factory presets. I've owned a ton of modeling devices and IMHO the AX8 has the best stock presets I've experienced. Think of the amps you like and try out those presets. You'll likely find at least a couple which you will like. These presets can be used as your base to build upon and then just focus on the standard amp controls you're familiar with, the models will react as you expect them to. Once you'e got that sorted out, then dig deeper.

2. Regarding monitoring, if you're not gigging I would look into smaller near field monitors. In the same way a 4X12 cabinet isn't ideal for a bedroom most PA speakers aren't ideally designed for smaller spaces. If you are gigging, I enjoy my Alto TS112A (though rarely fire it up anymore). Cheap enough to be abused without shedding any tears, low weight makes it easy to transport, flat enough to deliver solid tones, and loud enough to get the job done.

Hi all,

I ordered my first Fractal Audio product yesterday, the AX8. I have no idea what I'm in for, and I'm not at all well versed in technical stuff beyond the knobs and dials usually found on an amp and stomps. Figured I try and trick you to give up some tips so I won't die of tweakadites when it arrives (early next week, I'd reckon).

- I'll RTFM, I promise.

- I've seen a lot a praise about the Fremen-preset package. As I understand it, the package is not only awesome in itself but a pretty decent shortcut to a better preset base than that found in the stock AX8. Is this right?

- What else? Go to sources for info? Essential topics? I'll be using it for recording with my monitors at home, through whatever amp is at the rehearsal space and through the PA live. Should I make three sets of presets from the start?

- In the longer run, I'll need some sort of "cab". I've seen a lot of people using flat response speakers, FRFRs I believe you call them. What would be your low/mid pricey tip? Is the Laney IRT-X any good?

Really, anything you wish you knew when you fist got this unit would be appreciated.

TL;DR: Things you wish you knew when you got your first Fractal Audio product.

Hopefully I'll be able to pitch in to pay you back once I get into this stuff!

Cheers

Welcome to Fractal Land! Get ready for the Magical Mystery Tour of modelling.

· Fremen’s presets are great and a bargain. There are also a number of others that share or sell good presets here. It wouldn’t hurt to have some “Professionally Programmed” presets to learn from while you are getting used to the AX8. That being said, some of the factory presets are very usable as is.

· Use some decent monitors/speakers. I use a set of mid-grade studio speakers (Presonus Eris 8’s) and / or a Line 6 L2T with mine. Happy with both, and there are a lot of choices out there for FRFR powered speakers. You could also use a power amp and regular guitar cabs, or the power section & speakers in a standard guitar amp, but that might require disabling either the power amp and or cabs in the AX8.

· AX8-Edit is the best way to get a feel for the routing & parameters in the AX8, but try to get used to doing things on the hardware for those times at the gig when you need to change something so you know your way around.

· When you get acclimated a little, try some different IR’s. Different IR’s can make a huge difference in the sound, and may get you the tones you’re looking for.

· Try not to get overwhelmed with the choices. There are so many options with all the amp & effect parameters, and then IR’s on top of that. It can get to be over the top if you let it, so try the basics & experiment a little at a time, so you don’t spend all your time adjusting parameters.

The other suggestions given are good ones. I’m sure you’ll have plenty to keep you busy for a while…

- I've seen a lot a praise about the Fremen-preset package. -- He has a few you can download for free, also lots of great presets in the AX8 preset exchange forum

- What else? Go to sources for info? Essential topics? I'll be using it for recording with my monitors at home, through whatever amp is at the rehearsal space and through the PA live. Should I make three sets of presets from the start? - -Yes, if you have the time. I would create presets just for the live rig, but that is me. You might be able to create one set of presets, and add an EQ\filter block to use on the other setups.

- In the longer run, I'll need some sort of "cab". I've seen a lot of people using flat response speakers, FRFRs I believe you call them. What would be your low/mid pricey tip? Is the Laney IRT-X any good? -- Check out the amp forum, just about every PA speaker\powered cab option is covered in detail. Not seeing much love for the Laney

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/anybody-tried-the-laney-irt–x.100631/

· AX8-Edit is the best way to get a feel for the routing & parameters in the AX8, but try to get used to doing things on the hardware for those times at the gig when you need to change something so you know your way around.

SPOT ON & I agree 110%!!!!!!

The AX8-Edit is the easiest place to start out when working with the AX8. You can see everything & it's just easier to move around on the computer screen.........

But..........

Make sure you can do ALL of the same moves on the face of the actual unit for those times when a PC or Mac is out of reach!

Guitarno FTW!!!!! :cool:

X

@yek s write up about all the amp models has been very useful for me.

And, as you've probably heard already, auditioning IRs is more important to your tone than auditioning amps.

If your budget is limited, I have used a pair of Laney IRT-X as my main monitors and can say that they held up well. Good, not great, but if that is all the budget allows at the moment you'll will be fine with a pair of them to keep up with a drummer. Creating presets with EQ tweaks made just for live use with the IRT-X's would be recommended, I did find my stock presets (that I use with my KRK studio monitors) did not translate well thru the Laney's. After some EQ tweaks (or different IR's) I was able to use the IRT's just fine. As a point of reference, I have also owned a pair of QSC K10's and had to do the same thing.

+1 on learning how to build a preset from scratch using just an amp and a cab to start. That alone will get you familiar with how things work, the grid, navigation, figuring out connections, levels, etc. and provide a good foundation for the endless possibilities to come.

Thank you for warm welcomes and great information, everyone! I'm going to hold off on any additional purchases for now, and get to work on what is already there. A lot to read on the links provided here :)

Thank you for warm welcomes and great information, everyone! I'm going to hold off on any additional purchases for now, and get to work on what is already there. A lot to read on the links provided here :)

I very strongly recommend the AX8 tutorial videos from Chris@AxeFxTutorials (http://axefxtutorials.com). They are very reasonably priced and will cut out a lot of the learning curve. I watched them before I ever received the unit and felt like I had already used it when it arrived.

Ditto this, the AxeFxTutorials! I actually had a tube go bad and a gig the next day the same day I got my AX8. I ending up using his AFT Dual Input (I don't have a piezzo pickup guitar, but still worked) as a all in one preset that worked for for a huge variety of cover band tunes. It was a lifesaver. The presets and more importantly accompany videos explaining them, free on youtube, were very instructive.

One thing that's helping me (also as a new owner of an AX8) is to create a preset for each amp with a cab model that suits your ears and a single reverb block. Once this is complete, you can whip thru the different amps matched to an appropriate cab tweaked for YOUR ears. This will allow you to zero in on what amps suit YOUR needs. Don't fool yourself into thinking that all 220+ amp models have to sound badass. They won't. Some you'll likely hate. Same for the cabs. Many of them I absolutely hate. But hey, that's what makes us all unique.

Having a bank of some 220+ simple amp/cab/verb patches is super useful for adding to them as need be and creating presets that you'll actually use live or at home. Doing this not only gets you acquainted with how the amps and cabs sound, but gets you very familiar with using the editor and navigating the pages.

Welcome to AX8 and the Forum.

I have had my AX8 since March and loving it more daily as I grow in understanding. I would not buy anything in addition other than this beginner's video - well worth spending the time going through if you are new. Chris is an excellent teacher:

http://axefxtutorials.com/2016/02/premium-video-ax8-beginners-guide/

There are several other helpful videos, some have been posted. And pretty easy to find free downloadable patches. And with the Axe Edit it is a breeze, even for me, to suck them into the AX8.

The tones and cabs in the unit are MORE than enough for me. I was playing with High Res Stereo cabs last night. Using the delay and proximity dials in the cab block gives you so much tonal variation. Love it. I play mine through a Roland JC-40, which is a stereo amp, so I really notice some great tone options using the High Res Stereo cabs panned hard left and right.

The box seem infinite in tonal options, and so much of it sounds great. I NEVER get tired of it, always wish I had more time to play.

Back
Top Bottom