Your best drive block to turn a clean amp into a dirty Marshall ?

macphistoo

Inspired
Hi !

Almost everything is on the title ! I'm looking to a drive pedal model that could turn a clean (real) amp into a dirty Marshall (like Slash one).
Any suggestion ? :)

Reactions: mtb
There are so many variables when matching drive pedals to amps that your best option is to plug the AxeFX into the front of your amp and start scrolling through the drive pedals until you find the one that creates the sound you want.

A drive pedal that sounds great through one amp can just as easily sound horrible through a different amp.

He can still use an amp as a drive pedal, just turn off the poweramp simulation on the block.

This is true, but they tend to be a bit less “plug and play” than pedals. I have a SansAmp Liverpool that I use as a dirt pedal with channel one of my Mesa TA-15 (that channel is voiced similar to a Vox), and it was fairly easy to get that pedal to work well with that channel. It didn’t play nicely with channel two at all, though.

So many new drives lately, I just pinned the drive chooser window, played a riff in the looper, and hit down arrow on the keyboard to scroll through them all. Almost no point getting suggestions as you might hate pedals I love.

EDIT: but I hate it when people say that, so maybe try the new Klon? I also get stuck on the 3-knob tube driver.

Last edited:
I had luck using the plexi 6ca7 with a real amp. Just turn sag to zero to disable the power section and I usually switch the speaker impedance to resistive load.

Hard to imagine getting a more plexi drive then a plexi.

So many new drives lately, I just pinned the drive chooser window, played a riff in the looper, and hit down arrow on the keyboard to scroll through them all. Almost no point getting suggestions as you might hate pedals I love.

EDIT: but I hate it when people say that, so maybe try the new Klon? I also get stuck on the 3-knob tube driver.

What's different between the two different tube drivers? I normally just use the 4 knob one.

Back
Top Bottom