Your 1st 5 Concerts

Gordon Lightfoot

Another documentary I highly recommend...'If You Could Read My Mind'. I've watched it a few times now. His music writing talents are off the charts.

• Apple TV. Watch Now.
  • Google Play. Watch Now.
  • Fandango. Now. Watch Now.
  • YouTube. Watch Now.
  • Microsoft. Watch Now.
  • Amazon. Watch Now.
  • Amazon. Coming Soon.

https://www.gordonlightfootmovie.com/

The number of artists that have covered his music is absolutely mind blowing!

https://www.lightfoot.ca/covartst.htm

Another documentary I highly recommend...'If You Could Read My Mind'. I've watched it a few times now. His music writing talents are off the charts.

• Apple TV. Watch Now.
  • Google Play. Watch Now.
  • Fandango. Now. Watch Now.
  • YouTube. Watch Now.
  • Microsoft. Watch Now.
  • Amazon. Watch Now.
  • Amazon. Coming Soon.

https://www.gordonlightfootmovie.com/

The number of artists that have covered his music is absolutely mind blowing!

https://www.lightfoot.ca/covartst.htm

+1 - watched it 3 or 4 times also.

When I was a kid my mother would play Lightfoot and Simon and Garfunkel while ironing. Those are indellibly stamped on my brain. All the GL albums between 70 and 86 (IYCRMM thru to East of Midnight) are in my constant rotation - I listen to those 12 albums in entirety several times a year - some artists never wear out for me like Boston, GL. Sabbath is another one like that: while working on some project or other I'll frequently listen to the first 10 or 12 albums in full (Black Sabbath thru Mob Rules) - still sounds new and fresh after all these years.

+1 - watched it 3 or 4 times also.

When I was a kid my mother would play Lightfoot and Simon and Garfunkel while ironing. Those are indellibly stamped on my brain. All the GL albums between 70 and 86 (IYCRMM thru to East of Midnight) are in my constant rotation - I listen to those 12 albums in entirety several times a year - some artists never wear out for me like Boston, GL. Sabbath is another one like that: while working on some project or other I'll frequently listen to the first 10 or 12 albums in full (Black Sabbath thru Mob Rules) - still sounds new and fresh after all these years.

Your mother has great taste. Simon and Garfunkel's harmonies are second to none!

It's incredible how music leaves such lasting memories and can even help mould who you become. My dad played records all the time. Luckily though, his music didn't influence me or I'd be playing the accordion and not the guitar! I got my techie. skills from him though.

My musical events attendance outside of more standard rock fare is
pretty sparse but a few I remember fondly are:
  • Burt Bacharach around 2001
  • Gordon Lightfoot 80-81.
  • Celine Dion in Vegas

I grew up in a strict Eastern European household, and was not really exposed to rock outside of the very early stuff (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis...etc) until my very early teens. Mostly classical, opera, and jazz. Once I hit my early teens though, I was hooked. The first record I ever bought was Led Zep II. I wore it our and bought a second one, LOL.

Your mother has great taste. Simon and Garfunkel's harmonies are second to none!

It's incredible how music leaves such lasting memories and can even help mould who you become. My dad played records all the time. Luckily though, his music didn't influence me or I'd be playing the accordion and not the guitar! I got my techie. skills from him though.

All of my life memories revolve around the music I was listening to when those events occurred. Music is like air to me. I can't live without it.

Anthrax/Helloween/Exodus '89 Cobo Arena

All a blur after that!
Cobo! Never been there, but I have a strong memory of
it due to staring at the inside sleeve of Kiss Alive 1 for many hours as a teen while playing the grooves
off that album and prior to seeing any live concert for the first time. When Cobo Hall is mentioned, my brain immediately recalls those album sleeve images.

Last edited:
Awesome!

sadly, I never saw PF or DG - settled for Roger Waters a few years ago - iirc, with a few giant blowup animals

I’m really hoping Gilmour does one more tour before calling it quits. I didn’t get the chance to see him on either of his past tours. I’ll check out ticket prices for the Waters tour that’ll be here in the Summer, but I have a hard time hearing other people play Gilmour’s parts. Regardless of Roger’s role in the band, Gilmour has always been the reason I loved them so much. Kilminster does an outstanding job, I’m just too big of a Gilmour nut. Waters’ stage shows are ridiculous, so that’s probably worth the price of entry alone, I just imagine I’ll have a slight wince the entire night.

I've had Waters tickets for the Dallas show for about 2 years now. Was supposed to have seen him right before the last presidential election. Now it's in October '22 and I just got tickets to see Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets 10 days later here in Austin.

I did see Floyd on the Division Bell tour and I think this will be the 4th time I've seen Roger. Never Gilmour solo. :cry:

the very first concert I remember was sometime mid 60s when my folks took us to see Count Basie Big Band at my future high school auditorium…blew my adolescent head off…….then………
The Doors 1970 Chicago…life changing
Janis Joplin..Ravinia..weeks before she bit it
Three Dog Night ..they were awesome live ..right, @Mott ?
Zappa and Mahavishnu….(!!!!!!)

April Wine (all of their early tours)
Max Webster
Kiss
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Foreigner

not necessarily in that order
BTO / Guess Who were of the first albums I owned but never saw BTO till the mid90s on parliament hill- Canada day. 1st album! - could be another lounge thread lol! - my grandmother bought me my 1st at Woolworth 1970!

Last edited:
There's a name I haven't heard since the 70's. My mom worked at a Beamish in the early 70's, up north. I remember it had old wood floors and she bought me a battery powered toy boat, from Beamish, for the bathtub!

Last edited:
Cobo! Never been there, but I have a strong memory of
it due to staring at the inside sleeve of Kiss Alive 1 for many hours as a teen while playing the grooves
off that album and prior to seeing any live concert for the first time. When Cobo Hall is mentioned, my brain immediately recalls those album sleeve images.

View attachment 98581

Edit: Pondered a few times back in the day: what is the guy sitting to the right of the banner thinking? - is he wishing he'd attended the show with someone else?
That was the only show I ever saw at Cobo.

I remember before the show when the house lights were still on, you literally could not see across the arena (I was in the upper bowl somewhere) because the smoke cloud was so thick.

Also - it was f@#$ing LOUD! Anthrax an Helloween sounded great - Exodus sounded like cymbals and garbled shouting. It was the first (and I think only) official MTV Headbangers Ball tour. Anthrax supporting State of Euphoria, Helloween Keeper of the Seven Keys, pt. 2, and Exodus whatever album that Toxic Waltz joke was on. Not hating on Exodus, but that wasn't their finest moment.

I think I was 11 :)

There's a name I haven't heard since the 70's. My mom worked at a Beamish in the early 70's, up north. I remember it had old wood floors and she bought me a battery powered boat toy boat, from Beamish, for the bathtub!
drove my grandmother nuts with Share the Land - playing it repeadedly on their old record player - was not Guess Who's best imo but a classic for me as it was my first real LP from one artist - previous were all 45s or "K-Tel 20 Super Hits"!

Reminds me: Guess Who reunion 95ish - great show

Last edited:
drove my grandmother nuts
with Share the Land - playing it repeadedly on their old record player - was not Guess Who's best imo but a classic for me as it was my first real LP from one artist - previous were all 45s or "K-Tel 20 Super Hits"!

Reminds me: Guess Who reunion 95ish - great show

Sure would have been great to see bands like Prism, April Wine and the Guess Who, back in their heyday! I do remember seeing them on the Juno awards, back in the mid 70's, but I was only 10-11 years old then and my dad wasn't in to that kind of music, so I had no one to take me. Rush is another band that traveled around northern Ontario playing small venues and high-schools. They played at high-schools in Cochrane and Kirkland Lake, in the early 70's.

Back
Top Bottom