Your 1st 5 Concerts

That's cool! It was surreal! I SO wish I had gotten deeper into them before I went to that show. It was the first time I'd ever heard Xanadu and By-Tor & The Snow Dog. And 2112.

Being a young teenage male, I was all about their music. It's so funny the different groups of friends I went to the different shows with. Like the Sabbath concert was with a biker gang of which I was friends with one of their younger brothers in HS. The Tull concert was with my whacko SCA friends. The Rush concert was with a couple of those guys that were geeks, and another two geeks.

I'm pretty sure my first concert and a BIG one that is, was Michael Jackson at Estadio Azteca in 1993, from then on it had to be Luis Miguel at Auditorio Nacional (my mom was a BIG LM fan in her 30's) and even as an 8-9 year old kid I remember leaving the venue really fascinated at the level of musicianship from LM's band. I remember a couple more shows at my High School's auditorium, particularly one by a Beatles tribute band that was really cool.

As a teenager my very first concert (meaning one that I purchased a ticket all by myself) was Jaguares in 2001 and then in 2002 I went to Linkin Park with Korn and Static X, G3 (Satriani, Vai, Petrucci) and many more...

1. Kingfish(Bob Weir)/Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen/Doobie Bros/Eagles-Day on the Green@Oakland Coloseum
2. Sammy Hagar/Earthquake/Journey('Look into the Future'-pre Perry)-SJ Center for the Performing Arts
3. Judas Priest/Derringer/Led Zeppelin(Final US Show ever)-DOG@Oakland Coloseum
4. Max Webster/Hush/UFO/Rush('Farewell to Kings' tour)-Winterland
5. Wet Willie/Mahogany Rush-Winterland

I'm pretty sure my first concert and a BIG one that is, was Michael Jackson at Estadio Azteca in 1993, from then on it had to be Luis Miguel at Auditorio Nacional (my mom was a BIG LM fan in her 30's) and even as an 8-9 year old kid I remember leaving the venue really fascinated at the level of musicianship from LM's band. I remember a couple more shows at my High School's auditorium, particularly one by a Beatles tribute band that was really cool.

As a teenager my very first concert (meaning one that I purchased a ticket all by myself) was Jaguares in 2001 and then in 2002 I went to Linkin Park with Korn and Static X, G3 (Satriani, Vai, Petrucci) and many more...
saw the Jackson5 84-5ish, might have been the Thriller tour - quite an event.

never saw Satriani but I attended a Satriani concert - yup - Satriani / Cheap Trick here in Ottawa 2011 - outdoor show - in the middle of Cheap Trick a storm that had been brewing suddenly got nasty. We were sitting on the grass about 20-25ft from the stage and kind of getting nervous of some big free standing towers behind us. Suddenly the whole stage collapses - everybody runs and I get my glasses knocked off my head so I'm feeling around on the ground for my glasses wondering if the world is ending. Was pretty serious with a number of injuries including a Cheap Trick crew member - Cheap Trick themselves barely escaped getting underneath it. Here's the vid of the news report with the collapse showing at about 20s. Gotta get out to see Joe some day.

hmmm try to get it right

1985 Aidean - local Metalband out of my Hometown - Mannheim
1986 Queen - Mannheim
1986 Judas Priest - Ludwigshafen
1987 Monsters of Rock - Pforzheim (Deep Purple, Dio, Metallica, Pretty Maids, Cinderella, Helloween, Ratt)
and then I'm not sure what else in 87
so I add 1988 Monsters of Rock - Schweinfurt (Iron Maiden, Kiss, David Lee Roth, Great White, Anthrax, Testament)

so I add 1988 Monsters of Rock - Schweinfurt (Iron Maiden, Kiss, David Lee Roth, Great White, Anthrax, Testament)
Interesting...The 1988 MOR @ RFK in DC lineup was Metallica, Scorpions, Dokken, Kingdom Come, & Van Halen. I had tickets, but didn't get there until Eddie was into his solo because I had just bought a new 900 Ninja, and was having such a blast riding it that the concert didn't really matter. :p

Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen,
Almond Brothers,
The Doobie Brothers,
Grateful Dead,
Carlos Santana,

I'm not sure but I think the Cincinnati Pop Festival in 1970 was my first concert. So all of the bands that played at that. Iggy and the Stooges, Mountain, Alice Cooper, Grand Funk Railroad, Traffic. I can't remember them all. I am one of the people holding Iggy up above the crowd in this photo. Iggy and the Stooges and Mountain made the biggest impression on me at the time. Raw power.

I saw a bunch of groups in the 60's at small venues, state fairs, and amusement parks, but the Cincinnati Pop festival was the first large rock concert that I went to.

Attachments

• Iggy and the Stooges.jpg
    Iggy and the Stooges.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Interesting...The 1988 MOR @ RFK in DC lineup was Metallica, Scorpions, Dokken, Kingdom Come, & Van Halen. I had tickets, but didn't get there until Eddie was into his solo because I had just bought a new 900 Ninja, and was having such a blast riding it that the concert didn't really matter. :p
Yes there were diferrent lineups, depending on location.
I was there with a younger uncle and his car - and it was a terrible location - narrow- tube like and rainy weather.
After the concerts it was really hard to get out without losing breath or stumble to ground because of pushing people towards the small exists on the sides, not in the back.
My uncle had very strong headache after we were finally out so I had to drive his old Fiat home 230km and I was also exhausted after this event.
Worst loaction for a concert with this amount of people I ever was.

David Wilcox 👍 - saw him with Peter Gabriel - 79ish - great show.

Wilcox is quite the character on stage. He can certainly play guitar and he's got some great songs. Saw him again years later at a New Year's Eve party with Jeff Healey.

Max Webster back in the day seemed so out there - really listening to a lot of old MW stuff lately - still holds up

Kim Mitchell went on to have a successful solo career. His keyboard player and back-up singer is a local guy, who could really sing...just listen to All We Are. Saw Kim Mitchell at an outdoor concert, I think it was in the 90's. Kim Mitchell was a D.J. at Q107 in Toronto. Great radio voice!

My first concerts were all classical orchestras. I LOVED going to those as a young boy. I still do, but just don't get out as much I would like. The music touches my soul.

Otherwise:
  • Harry Belafonte
  • Bo Diddley/Chubby Checker double bill
  • Jerry Lee Lewis
  • Al Dimeola/John McLaughlin/Paco DeLucia triple bill
  • Dozens of Jazz concerts on the streets of Montreal during the Jazz Festival every summer.

My first bona fide "concert" in the more current rock/blues genres was Eric Clapton when he toured behind his "From The Cradle" record. Jimmie Vaughn opened playing with the Arc Angels. Amazing night.

My first concerts were all classical orchestras. I LOVED going to those as a young boy. I still do, but just don't get out as much I would like. The music touches my soul.

Otherwise:
  • Harry Belafonte
  • Bo Diddley/Chubby Checker double bill
  • Jerry Lee Lewis
  • Al Dimeola/John McLaughlin/Paco DeLucia triple bill
  • Dozens of Jazz concerts on the streets of Montreal during the Jazz Festival every summer.

My first bona fide "concert" in the more current rock/blues genres was Eric Clapton when he toured behind his "From The Cradle" record. Jimmie Vaughn opened playing with the Arc Angels. Amazing night.
My musical events attendance outside of more standard rock fare is
pretty sparse but a few I remember fondly are:
  • Burt Bacharach around 2001
  • Gordon Lightfoot 80-81.
  • Celine Dion in Vegas

• Medina Azahara
  • Trip / Rigor Mortis / Tigres del Metal / Zeus / La BEPS (Banda de la Encarnación del Poder Satánico)
  • Rainbow / Scorpions / Def Leppard
  • Genesis
  • Whitesnake / Meatloaf / La BEPS

He destroyed Aerosmith with his passion, energy, and sobriety. Aerosmith had to
quit mid show because Tyler could not make it through the intro to Dream On. Meaning,
he was fucked up more than everyone else in the Arena!!! :)

Still think Uncle Ted is batshit crazy and a questionable human, at times, but he
never robbed a paying audience member from giving his best every night.

:D

My uncle grew up a HUGE Joe Perry fan and had every attempt to catch Aerosmith screwed up by something. He finally scores tickets to a show in Portland, ME, doesn’t catch wind that Perry has left the band and is wondering WTF is going on when he sees some other guy there, only to be followed by Tyler coming out onstage and passing out immediately.

Tyler wrote about that show in his autobiography, I think it might have been in Walk This Way as well, there’s also a write-up about it here- https://wblm.com/blimp-time-hop-79-aerosmith-show-cut-short-at-cccc/

Pink Floyd- May/94
Adrian Legg/G3 (Vai, EJ, Satch) October/96
Cheap Trick/STP April/97’ (I think?)
Queensryche Aug/97 (local band opened)
Dream Theater Dec/98 (Home For The Holidays Show, Derek Sherinian’s 2nd to last DT gig)

While I’m thankful I got to see Floyd period, having it be my first concert set the stage (pun intended) pretty high for everything that came after. “Where are the lasers? No inflatable animals? Video?!”

Pink Floyd- May/94
Adrian Legg/G3 (Vai, EJ, Satch) October/96
Cheap Trick/STP April/97’ (I think?)
Queensryche Aug/97 (local band opened)
Dream Theater Dec/98 (Home For The Holidays Show, Derek Sherinian’s 2nd to last DT gig)

While I’m thankful I got to see Floyd period, having it be my first concert set the stage (pun intended) pretty high for everything that came after. “Where are the lasers? No inflatable animals? Video?!”
Awesome!

sadly, I never saw PF or DG - settled for Roger Waters a few years ago - iirc, with a few giant blowup animals

I was going to say the same thing. When I saw MOR in 1988 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco it was the same lineup as you mentioned.

Elton John / Joe Walsh - Dodger Stadium 75
Paul McCartney - LA Forum 76
Yes / Peter Frampton / Gentle Giant / Gary Wright - Anaheim Stadium 76
Eagles - LA Forum 76
Led Zeppelin - LA Forum 77

And keeping with the Boston theme, I saw them in 78 at Anaheim with Sabbath / Sammy Hagar / Van Halen

Back
Top Bottom