You want Petrucci’s tone? Here it is. Sample, patches, and contest included!

Brock

Experienced
It seems quite a few of us are interested in replicating Petrucci’s tone. Multiple refrigerator-sized housings with thousands of dollars of gear, accurately replicated by this comparably tiny, affordable, reliable, and un-needy black box. Dig!

I thought it’d be fun to have a contest. People have posted their renditions along the way, but usually without the context of supporting tracks (AKA a mix), or too much context (e.g., playing along with the original record making it difficult to discern your tone versus that on the recording). Let’s level the playing field! Like this:

• Download the backing track here.
  • Record your guitar parts on top of the backing track
  • Post your mix in this thread
    • Please, no post-Fractal effects (e.g. EQing, compressing, or whatever else in the DAW)
  • Post your Fractal patches in this thread (along with notes where applicable, see below)

Here’s a link to a higher fidelity file of my contribution.

The Axe-Fx II (FW 13.02) patches I used :

• Solo! - Scene 1 (Extern1 input volume, Extern2 reverb/delay levels); Scene 2 add Drive in front of amp, Extern1 Wah; Scene 3 same 2 but Extern1 Whammy
  • Crunch Time - Scene 1 General sound; Scene 2 add chorus; Scene 3 Scooped for low notes; same as 3 add chorus
  • Spark Lee - Scene 1 General choro-clean; Scene 2 add echoes and huge reverb; Scene 3 add “crystals”

The nitty-gritty of what I did for those interested: I found a MIDI file of “Pull Me Under”, imported it into Cubase, assigned the drums to Superior Drummer and the bass to Kontakt 8’s Scarbee library. I did minor re-mapping and editing to the drums. I didn’t use most of the MIDI tracks, and you’ll generally find most of the keyboards are undermixed - this was on purpose so the guitar tones are more prominent.

Last edited:
What's cab do you use?
Wow, someone's getting on board? Thank you! I thought this would be a popular thread. This should be a popular thread. STEP UP, SHREDDERS!

Cabs: Solo!! - OH_112_DLX-ALN-_Studio-Modern (Ultra Res); Crunch Time OH-412_MAR-CB_v30-CH_Studio-Modern (Ultra Res) for both cabs; and Spark Lee OH_412_MAR-CB_h-PR-55_Studio-Modern (Ultra Res) -- all from the new UR cabs in the 13.02 FW update

agree MORE GAIN, and more cowbell :) first sounds very dry sterile and a bit wimpy, the playing is great nonetheless, and since I cant play DT well, I might throw some sounds up with maybe even backing tracks (though I suck at recording too) but I have lotsa tweeked dt type sounds. thanks for the thread, and VITOR you better, youve been promising , baiting and switching, and teasing for weeks :)

Nice! I think it needs a bit more gain.

I think mine is a bit closer, but it may be the guitar I'm playing (Music Man JP6), this is the Mark IIC+, check it out:

Sounds good, but can you put in context - play to the backing track in the OP? That's the whole point of this thread is to use the presets within the context of a mix.

Symphx, and others who want to participate, but don't know/can't play the whole song - just do a snippet to the backing track of a part you do know. The riff at 1:19 is easy...and classic.

Last edited:
I know what you guys are saying about the gain. I'm really goofy about keeping the gain as low as possible. The litmus I use for my crunch sound is once the attack starts mushing up on palm-muted chugga-chuggas, I back it off. Remember Petrucci's tone on the Live In Tokyo (the first DT DVD)? I liked it a lot (and it was sort of thin).

Back
Top Bottom