You Knew Etsy Would Ruin Reverb

rec.music.makers.marketplace FTW! Back in the good ol' days when you could just ship guitars & amps out and tell folks to either send payment or send it back and no deal ever went south (at least for me). Better days ....
No doubt. And when Ebay was individuals like us, not like now where everyone is a business. I used to buy and sell pickups all the time when I wanted to try something new. $30 + shipping, grab a used Duncan. If I don't like it, flip it to the next guy for the same $30 and get different one, etc. Rinse and repeat. No complaints. No scammers. So simple.

Still waiting to hear how it was Etsy's takeover that ruined Reverb.
The "Reverb Bumps" are excessive. 40% of the listings are bumps. Makes it pain to search. It used to be only a single row of bumps followed by nine rows of regular listings. Now there are four rows of bumps and six rows of regular listings. Why did they do this? Because they make more money off the bumps.

For now. Only a matter of time before they ratchet up the bumps there too. My eyesight is too poor for iPhone anyways.
Yeah... I figure if it's the new paradigm I'll eventually be affected, too. Possibly they just borked some code in the full version and it only affects the web version.

I use the app on my iPad - I agree the phone is too small!

First they get rid of Reverb Bucks and now only old resistors and BUMPS all day long..The first listing is the same for weeks now looks like a vacuum pump?

I was going to ask Reverb if I had an issue , glad im not alone .

I also agree that some of the things I have read lately are truly horrifying. Yet, in America one is (used to be) guaranteed the right to freedom of speech. This means that everyone from Joe Q Public to some organizations that I refuse to name as I cannot bring myself to type their names, can say what they want without fear of retribution. Notice that I said "say", actions are not included. You can and should be thrown in jail for violating laws. You can disagree with what others say and you should voice that disagreement in a calm, respectful manner. However, I feel one problem that we are faced with is that our young people are not being taught history as much as they are being taught "opinions". I learned at a very young age some of the horrors that were wreaked upon humanity. But what I have been seeing lately reminds me (in a very scary way) of the beginnings of the control of what people can read, view, or even think. It is a "If you do not think the way I think, then I will shut you down" mentality. This occurred in many countries throughout history, Russia and China to name a couple. It is a very slippery slope that I fear we are on and I hope that we do not forget that "those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it".

Perhaps I haven't seen part of what Fuller wrote? I looked around and the excerpts I saw were not abhorrent. Basically it looked like he was...
(a.) making a distinction between, on the one hand, principled protestors against police brutality, who protested peaceably, and, on the other hand, opportunistic looters who use the protests as cover for smashing (often black-owned) storefronts and walking away with merchandise;
(b.) approving of the protestors while disapproving of the looters; and,
(c.) stating that anyone who claimed that the protestors were all looters, or no better than the looters, was thereby being racist against the protestors.

Now, perhaps I missed something else he said that was abhorrent; or perhaps there's something in the excerpt I saw that's abhorrent in a way that isn't obvious to me. Or perhaps I'm reading what he wrote in a more-innocent way than he intended it.

Can someone please clarify?

NOTE: I realized, after saving the original version of this post, that when I asked @FractalAudio to comment in reply, I was potentially putting him in a bind. He's a business owner, and we live in a very Maoist Cultural Revolution kind of moment: Whatever he said in reply, some might use as an excuse to digitally lynch him pour le encourage les autres. And I don't wish that on him or anyone else.

So, I've edited this post to make it more general, inviting "someone" to "please clarify." But if there's anyone who has good reason to fear retaliation for replying, then: I wish you well, and by all means, exercise prudence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom