You Guys/Gals Are in for Another Treat

@Cliff, Super excited for the new update! Been using the axe 3 since 7 months , best decision tbh never used any other modeller.

How do the new preamp and power amp algorithms, affect the high gain amps like the 5153 100W red , FAS Skull Crusher(among my favourites I wonder why too few people have posted about it),6160 Block/ Archean etc? Because these amps can already chug mighty.

Hopefully the update comes in a month max.

Last edited:
@Cliff, Super excited for the new update! Been using the axe 3 since 7 months , best decision tbh never used any other modeller.

How do the new preamp and power amp algorithms, affect the high gain amps like the 5153 100W red , FAS Skull Crusher(among my favourites I wonder why too few people have posted about it),6160 Block/ Archean etc? Because these amps can already chug mighty.

Hopefully the update comes in a month max.
They can chug but ive always found them to be lacking in the low end imo. I know, it may just be me but I plugged into my 5150 last night and THAT showed me what chug truly was. Excited for this firmware :)

They can chug but ive always found them to be lacking in the low end imo. I know, it may just be me but I plugged into my 5150 last night and THAT showed me what chug truly was. Excited for this firmware :)

Play around with the Speaker Impedance Curve. For some reason, I didn’t pay attention when it was brought to focus a couple months ago. Started playing with it last night and it really plays around with the lows/mid, to the point my subwoofer was moving quite a bit with some of them. I paired an SVT 4x10 Impedance Curve with a Diezel and it sound pretty damn sick! Some amps work better with a cab of a matching brand, but others will work with really well with a multitude of them. Huge effect on the overall sound but not mentioned often.

Play around with the Speaker Impedance Curve. For some reason, I didn’t pay attention when it was brought to focus a couple months ago. Started playing with it last night and it really plays around with the lows/mid, to the point my subwoofer was moving quite a bit with some of them. I paired an SVT 4x10 Impedance Curve with a Diezel and it sound pretty damn sick! Some amps work better with a cab of a matching brand, but others will work with really well with a multitude of them. Huge effect on the overall sound but not mentioned often.
This. Amp builders that sell their own cabs use those same cabs when designing their amps and tweaking for the tones they want. Since each cab's impedance curve is going to be a little difference, it makes sense that some amps will sounds more "ideal" (at least according to the builder's ears and what they wanted to hear) with a matching cab than mismatched cab brands, even for two cabs with the same speakers yet with different dimensions and different build methods.

The speaker is a moving part and that movement is affected by the construction of the cab and how hard it is to move the air within that cab, and thus there will be differences in the electrical load the amp sees when pushing air (hopefully I got that all right, going off of memory). This is probably overly simplistic, but in a cab where the construction makes it harder for a speaker to move, ostensibly you would require more power to get it to move, which is going to have an impact according to Ohm's Law, regardless of the overall impedance rating of the speakers themselves.

Smarter people than me, please chime in if I got any of that wrong :)

This. Amp builders that sell their own cabs use those same cabs when designing their amps and tweaking for the tones they want. Since each cab's impedance curve is going to be a little difference, it makes sense that some amps will sounds more "ideal" (at least according to the builder's ears and what they wanted to hear) with a matching cab than mismatched cab brands, even for two cabs with the same speakers yet with different dimensions and different build methods.

True. However, the sound the designer/manufacturer is after may or may not coincide with the sound the end user requires, so mix-n-match can sometimes be beneficial....

The speaker is a moving part and that movement is affected by the construction of the cab and how hard it is to move the air within that cab, and thus there will be differences in the electrical load the amp sees when pushing air (hopefully I got that all right, going off of memory). This is probably overly simplistic, but in a cab where the construction makes it harder for a speaker to move, ostensibly you would require more power to get it to move, which is going to have an impact according to Ohm's Law, regardless of the overall impedance rating of the speakers themselves.
Pretty much on the money. A small, "tight" closed-back will damp the free-air low-frequency resonance of the speaker more than a bigger, "loose" closed-back cab. This changes the flyback voltage generated by the speaker, and the resulting impedance at the resonance frequency. Different speakers also have different resonances, dictated by how compliant or stiff the spider and cone are, and the mass of the cone itself. Lots of variables in play....

Absolutely, I too started playing with this recently. I paired the 6160 block with the 5153 curve and it sounds huge!
I do not relate to this for the 5153 100w red atleast, but on some other amps yes. However you can always play with the input frequency parameters to boost some low end before it is processed by the preamp of the amp, and try different speaker impedance curves as well. However I feel it won't be necessary moving forward once the firmware is updated. As mentioned above try the 6160 block on the axe with a 5153 impedance curve. worked for me.

Last edited:
THIS. I tried to re-create my main patch from scratch a while ago, and it was terrible sounding. I mean, it still was a great tone, but it lacked something. I completely forgot that I had tweaked the speaker curve forever ago and boom, all the magic was back. 🤘

It's amazing how many guitarists never go near their tone/volume controls, just leave everything all the way up. and mess with their pedal and stuff.
Totally bemusing.
For years I was quite content to plug straight into my Tone King Imperial Mk II amp's lead channel only, without any pedals, controlling the sound from the guitar. It's old-school and fun.

I had great pedals but hadn't bothered putting them back onto a board, then decided I should rebuild the board since I had the pedals, and once finished started using it and discovered the fun of the amp's Rhythm channel.

I suspect this new firmware is going to pry a couple more of my fingers from my amps, and I'm not sure what to think of that.

...but I just perfected my tone.

Wonder how many times we've said that. I have an AX8 (that I need to sell....I'm lazy) that I plugged in for reference last week. I remember thinking I had perfected my tone with that. It's not even close to what I've got going on today. This 'chug'.... I can't wait but I suspect, I'll need to ditch the GEQ or pre-amp EQ settings I've got going on now, that currently gives me my 'chug'. I gotta have more chug.

For sure this update is going to be time consuming for those with a lot of custom presets. Should be worth it in the end always is. Feel bad for all the preset pack guys, lots of time and fun ahead for them.

For sure this update is going to be time consuming for those with a lot of custom presets. Should be worth it in the end always is. Feel bad for all the preset pack guys, lots of time and fun ahead for them.
We need to redo everything yes . And I will do it . I already reboot all the amp block in every updates , that’s why I m not against more distant and big updates 😅

Back
Top Bottom