You Guys/Gals Are in for Another Treat

Accents are weird. I was born and raised in Oregon but everyone I meet somehow thinks I'm from Texas. I don't know why.
No kidding. Born and raised in the shadow of the Hindenburg, near Lakehurst, NJ. All the male members of my family have the rather neutral Philly regional accent. All the female members sound more Noo Yawk. People have accused me of being a native of anywhere from Florida to Montana. LOL!

No kidding. Born and raised in the shadow of the Hindenburg, near Lakehurst, NJ. All the male members of my family have the rather neutral Philly regional accent. All the female members sound more Noo Yawk. People have accused me of being a native of anywhere from Florida to Montana. LOL!

Fascinating! Makes me think how weird it would be if old school accents still lingered around America. Like if some people still talked in the Mid-Atlantic accent like in movies from the 1930s and 40s. Or even if people still used the Irish-sounding accent of 18th century Americans.

I'm working on it. Every amp model needs to be reentered. Lot of work. So far it is sounding fantastic. It's hard to keep focused as I get distracted playing.

It can be a bit shocking at first. Those "vintagey" amps are quite a bit different in some cases. Spitty, gnarly, nasty, angry sounding. The "polished" sound is gone. The low end is tighter. High gain amps growl and chug with a vocal quality. Medium gain amps purr like a big cat. Low gain amps sound big and chimey.

The whole impetus for this was I was doing some critical listening and I noticed that certain amp models didn't have the same distortion "texture" as the real amp. The amps sounded like rubbing two rocks together while the models sounded more like sandpaper. There was also a vocal quality. The amps went "chug, chug, yowwwwww" while the models went "chit, chit, yeeeeee". That led to a complete rewrite of the preamp algorithms. What I learned from that I applied to improvements in the power amp algorithms.
Can't wait ,I love tight low end :p

Samesies. Just had some new pickups put in today, and was hoping for a new FW to go with them. It'll get here though!
I just installed a set of Duncan Saturday Night Specials, and I've been in heaven. I'm always checking for new firmware, but Hell, it's already so incredible, I don't feel like I'm missing anything in my tone, even moreso with these new pickups.

I just installed a set of Duncan Saturday Night Specials, and I've been in heaven. I'm always checking for new firmware, but Hell, it's already so incredible, I don't feel like I'm missing anything in my tone, even moreso with these new pickups.

Huh, had to look those up, they must be a new SD set. Either way I love finding pickups that bring out the magic of the Axe

Huh, had to look those up, they must be a new SD set. Either way I love finding pickups that bring out the magic of the Axe
Oh, for me it was all about dynamics and versatility. I had done a ton of research, then called and spoke to someone at Duncan letting them know what I was going for, and they really recommended this set. I wanted something that sounds good at a lot of different settings on the volume and tone pots on the guitar, and they really do. They also do have great split tones, both for the bridge and the neck. They're totally perfect for my playing. :)

Spitty, gnarly, nasty, angry sounding. The "polished" sound is gone.

Have been using Fractal gear for almost 12 years now and that is the most exciting thing I think I've ever read on here. Seriously...

Previous firmware updates that have made the amps more rude, aggressive, angry, raw, stinky, more unrefined were always the ones I've appreciated most, absolutely.

I have a sense that Cygnus will also be so much more dynamic and responsive...which I can't wait to try since my current tones are pretty sweet that way.

I'm repeating this mantra these days:

The "polished" sound is gone....the "polished" sound is gone....the "polished" sound is gone

Ritchie Blackmore once said keeping things under control while playing a Strat though a raging Marshall was like "trying to control an angry elephant".

I can only hope Cygnus is that elephant...in a china shop...bellowing with unrefined authority and a marginally controlled temperament...ahhhh now that would be sooooo nice....heh.

Bring on the rough edges, the rude in-your-face punch and dynamics...I don't need no stinkin' polished guitar tone when I play and very much prefer it raw and unhinged; I'll leave the polishing for the FOH/recording...

Last edited:
One of my most amusing moments at work was hearing a German and a Mexican trying to work on a project together for the first time (together as well as individually) trying to explain in very broken and heavily accented English how they wanted to accomplish their mutual goal. I assume it was eventually completed but, there was a LOT of things getting lost in translation while I was on the project.
I was boggled on a Caribbean cruise many years ago while riding the tender into port. There was couple on the rail who looked very Japanese to me, talking to each other in German, sounding like they'd both been born to it. It's a weird and wonderful world!

Back
Top Bottom