You Guys/Gals Are in for Another Treat

There's a big difference between having the most accurate modeling in the market and having "perfect" modeling. The former has rightly been claimed for quite some time. Fractal models are without a doubt the most accurate models out there, warts and all. Perfect implies there's no room or need for improvement. I've never once seen that claimed in the years I've been around here. There's plenty of folks that have been perfectly satisfied with the state of the models over the years, but like I said before, there's always room for improvement.

It won’t be perfectly accurate until it explodes and catches fire on stage.

Thats what my Marshall did in the 70’s.
We need an emergency repair sim that renders the fractal completely inoperable for 48 hours and you have to send fractal about 300 bucks for the unlock code. Maybe a little puff of smoke from the back gives you like a 30 second countdown with various audible drops of sound and farts and whatnot.

So the forever “perfectly accurate” thing, falls down . I m not against differences . But I dislike the fact that users are always wrong when they notice a difference or something they dislike . And this is like this since axe 2 (and maybe before ) . If you said that is perfect and then change all the poweramp and preamps one by one 🙄 . Hm. Don’t know. If we just can have a “warmer feel “ and more dimension to the sound I ll take it 🌹
Cliff has never claimed the models are perfect. In fact, last December he stated that while the algorithms probably aren't perfect yet, the current firmware was a significant improvement.

Last edited:
I can relate... I had an amp explodes and catches fire on stage.
I ended up sharing the keyboard players 2x12 Silvertone amp he bought from Sears & Roebuck...
It sounded like $#@#t...but at least we were fortunate enough to finish the gig....
THE BAR WAS DARK.. in more ways than one...They paid us in cash.
Unfortunately when we all got home we discovered that we each had several counterfeit bills mixed in. Needless to say, we never played at the Golden Horseshoe bar again..
It won’t be perfectly accurate until it explodes and catches fire on stage.

So the forever “perfectly accurate” thing, falls down . I m not against differences . But I dislike the fact that users are always wrong when they notice a difference or something they dislike . And this is like this since axe 2 (and maybe before ) . If you said that is perfect and then change all the poweramp and preamps one by one 🙄 . Hm. Don’t know. If we just can have a “warmer feel “ and more dimension to the sound I ll take it 🌹

I guess this overprotective behavior has to do with sane or normal people's inate desire to be gratefeul and agreeable. They interpret dissent as an act of indecency, they think it will diminish Cliff's passion towards his product. It is not for nothing that even the bible tells us that iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Luckily for us, Cliff is open to critcism and takes it to heart, as the countless improvements over the years show. Anybody, who wants to perfect something, has to listen to the few dissenting voices that have the courage and foresight, despite being appreciative of the product's status quo, to point out weaknesses and potential improvements in a constructive yet assertive way.

Not that listening to praises and resting on your laurels isn't something you shoudln't do from time to time - Cliff has more than earned his right to enjoy the fruits of his labor -, but there's simply nothing you can extract from it that will make your product even better. Of course, if you want to call it a day and ride happily into the sunset, you don't have to listen to any criticism whatsoever, but I sense that pushing the envelope and producing the best guitar related product ever is Cliff's lifework.

It is precisely because of this unwavering commitment that I'll be on team Fractal forever, which is also why I will always try to voice constructive criticism wherever I deem it necessary. Not because I want Fractal products to appear worse than their competitors, but because I want them to succeed. I will never be able to identify with the herd/yea-sayer mentality and I'm so glad that Cliff is one of the few innovators of our time that's constantly re-evaluating his positions not only based on his own, but also on his customer's assessments of his product.

The only FW so far that I've thought was lacking was 14.xx. It introduced some harshness in the power amp breakup that wasn't there in 12.xx (I jumped from 12 to 14).

In 15.01 that harshness has been corrected, and the breakup is better, so they seemingly know it was there and how too correct it.

I'm expecting Cygnus to be a "well, I didn't think it could get any better than 15, but it is" instead of "HOLY MOLY, Cygnus has changed my world".

...This thread and so many others posts have created a lot of expectations,
Maybe it can be as well , or a bit of disappointment .
How this Fw will be ... welcome dépends on each other !!
Will it need to be play at gig volume ?? Will it be possible to feel noticeable differences at bed room level ? Wit headphones ...??
It also depends on each other ears , gear .. Fr/Fr monitors ... guitars ... favorite apps
Surely , truly ... subjective
This is my opinion

I don’t really care about how accurate it’s replicating an amp, I use the amp names as a general guide and then just tweak until I’m satisfied with the sound, so any updates are cool with me, whether or not they’re getting closer to the real thing.

I was satisfied with the tones I was getting a year ago, I think around FW 12.xx, anything past that is just gravy. And I like gravy.

I can relate... I had an amp explodes and catches fire on stage.
I ended up sharing the keyboard players 2x12 Silvertone amp he bought from Sears & Roebuck...
It sounded like $#@#t...but at least we were fortunate enough to finish the gig....
THE BAR WAS DARK.. in more ways than one...They paid us in cash.
Unfortunately when we all got home we discovered that we each had several counterfeit bills mixed in. Needless to say, we never played at the Golden Horseshoe bar again..
I am quite sure that it did not hurt you as much as your Dyna would blow the carb off.... I also had my amp on fire on stage, and also had amp once on stage hit me with 230VA so much as I fall unconcoius and it took few minutes until I realized where I am and what I m doing... That was in the dark 90's in Poland... And now I am waiting for Cliff, (normally beta was a surprise) to get more chug, as my Hogs are sleeping in garage....

Back
Top Bottom