You guys are in for another treat.

I haven't been able to find any articles on class D amps that are for audio application... Only radio frequencies. Hmm.
Yup, same here. Probably it hasn't made its way into audio yet, or maybe current amplifiers will reintroduce some issues that people and manufacturers don't want to deal with (e.g. frequency response affected by the speaker impedance curve)

This leads to a potential improvement for solid-state HiFi amplification: Current-mode Class-D. If you could make a Class-D amplifier that works in current mode instead of voltage mode you would get the same benefits as a tube amp for HiFi applications.

I think about these things from time to time. I still hope that one day we'll have some kind of solid-state, non-modeling technology for guitar amps and such that is superior to tubes in every way. I wonder if we'll ever get there.

DAMN Cliff

You're a machine.

I love these updates to the speaker dynamics. Having gigged extensively with a single Celestion Blue being pushed hard, I am addicted to the sound of speaker compression, and no IR will ever capture that. But the Axe is getting ever closer.

Cliff farts, has epiphany on how to model the some olfactory curves of roses.
Forum: when is the first beta??!!!
Cliff, you must be an alien or something! your fecundity of ideas and epiphanies are otherworldly. Can't wait to hear this...

Last edited:
It's an improved Speaker Dynamics algorithm. I've never been super happy with the current speaker compression. Mathematically it's right, or at least I though it was right. But I realized that there's a wrinkle to the analysis. It has to do with the change in the radiation impedance with respect to voice coil temperature.

I did a first pass at it that sounds good but it isn't exact. I just figured out how to do it exact but I'm too tired right now. I'll work on it more tomorrow.
Not that I understand any more of that than what the words mean in non-technical English, but I wouldn't think voice coil temperature would change much until the speaker was running hard for a fair while.

Is the implication that tone will change over time as you play, if you're playing loud virtually? I'm not sure I'd want that. Consistency is kind of a good thing sometimes.

Or is this all angel farts to throw other manufacturers off course? ;)

What I realized with this epiphany is that tube amps are better for HiFi as well. I'm not a HiFi person but now I know why HiFi people prefer tube amps. They probably don't understand why it sounds better, they just know it sounds better.
So audiophile terms like "tube warmth", "3D soundstage", and "realism" etc. aren't complete BS?? 🤯

Is it the actual interaction with the speakers that is the magic?

On another note, when I was a bit into hi-fi (really mid-fi) about 10 years ago I wondered why something like the Axe couldn't simulate classic hi-fi tube preamps and amps. Of course simulating a hi-fi pre/amp and listening through non-hi-fi powered studio monitors, a PA, or FRFR cabs might be silly, but ...

Last edited:
This. Line 6 products was a mainstay in rig over the past few decades. I was getting upset as a Helix owner not know when anything new was dropping or what was planned. Their forums are pretty closed and anytime I'd ask a question they would just refer to some generic tutorial video or something. The community here is what sold on buying FAS equipment until either they don't exist or I don't exist. The first won't happen because the product is too good :p
My Helix Floor has been in the shop for almost six months waiting on a replacement board that Line 6/Yamaha can't deliver. As soon as I get it back I'm selling it to some poor sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hsoul. There's no way it will approach the quality of sound or build Fractal's products already have.

Last edited:
I think about these things from time to time. I still hope that one day we'll have some kind of solid-state, non-modeling technology for guitar amps and such that is superior to tubes in every way. I wonder if we'll ever get there.
Supposedly that's what Boss is doing in their Nextone solid-state amps. They have a DSP chip that watches the speaker's impedance and adjusts parameters in the power-amplifier on the fly. I had one, and, at half-volume on up, when the speaker was starting to work, it'd sound and feel like its power amp was tube based.

I say I "had" one, because its sound was not in the ballpark with my real tube amps but it was a decent try.

Back
Top Bottom