IRs York Audio presents the MES 412 in .Wav format based on Mesa!

Third-party impulse response pack
The mixes you included are really great. Sorry if you answered this already and I have missed it, but were your mixes produced by mixing captured mic IRs in software or were they captures with all the mics setup (a real world capture of the mix)?

I would be really interested in your feedback on these recipes, good or bad. Would be very cool to see what you think of things we have come up with using your pack!

I spent some time with both the vintage and modern 421 IRs in the pack, and I prefer the vintage. Darker and fatter to my ears and has something else in the feel I like. I tend to gravitate to tones which sit on the darker side of the spectrum, and the 57-OA, 421, 121 combo beautifully adds that darkness and growl while also providing sufficient bite on the top end. Pretty perfect me thinks, but interested in your thoughts!

If it is useful, I have attached the main preset I am using this IR combination with. Use Cab Block Channel B with 57-OA-2 in the first slot, 421v-3 in the second slot and 121-2 in the third slot. I like to up the 421 in the mix further if I want more girth.

But ears and brains are strange things, and the tweakability of the Axe with endless IR options can lead to weird things. Unlike where you may have had a single cab or combo and never thought much more about that part of your sound in the past. I find that IRs can sound a little different one day to the next (which is all psychoacoustic and not “real”) because everything can be tweaked instantly, both drastic and minutely subtle.

Which means the exact IR mix I like that day changes too lol. Not that I ever dislike ones I have come to know as a favourite, but they can feel or sound different in comparison over time, and then switch back to sounding/feeling how you “remembered” again. I guess ear fatigue and the instant and voluminous comparisons to other IRs and combination mixes does that (a relatively new phenomenon for the average Joe given availability of tech like the Axe).

Do you ever get like that when selecting which IR shots to keep and what mixes to make for your packs? You are far more experienced than I so there is that too.

Ah the never ending quest, but what fun! :)
Just gave your patch a spin, and man....that Crunch scene is HUGE! The only adjustments I made for my guitar were setting the Amp's graphic EQ 80 Hz to 2 and 240 Hz to 0. I set the Cab Block's master Low Cut at 80 to clean up the super low stuff. It's great though, and I'm saving it to my unit. I'll also use this Mix when I update the pack. Thanks for sharing!

I just want to keep playing, but it's my birthday today and I'm gonna go grab some lunch with my mom to celebrate...then come back and play more guitar.

Just gave your patch a spin, and man....that Crunch scene is HUGE! The only adjustments I made for my guitar were setting the Amp's graphic EQ 80 Hz to 2 and 240 Hz to 0. I set the Cab Block's master Low Cut at 80 to clean up the super low stuff. It's great though, and I'm saving it to my unit. I'll also use this Mix when I update the pack. Thanks for sharing!

I just want to keep playing, but it's my birthday today and I'm gonna go grab some lunch with my mom to celebrate...then come back and play more guitar.
Happy birthday mate! Playing guitar and eating a nice lunch out sounds like a pretty sweet day to me.

Glad you liked the preset. I usually just chug along on my own so the extra low end can be fun but for a mix would definitely need some cleaning up. Have stated it before, but the trick I learned from @2112 of setting the input eq between about 200-300hz has been a game changer for high gain presets. Tightens the low end and just makes the character of the amp just right.

With all the talk of people not needing to add low cuts anymore in the cab block with the latest firmware, I have been trying to avoid them too. But will try your suggested global cut at 80hz, thanks.

Really cool that you will add this mix to your pack when you update it!

Here's a clip of the MES 412's multi-mic mixes. I used the same patch with a looper and just scrolled through the mixes in order to hear the tonal diversity without even touching your amp's controls. Of course, different mixes cater to different amps and playing styles, but this will give you an idea of what's in the box.

Hey mate, thank you very much for the great IRs! I purchased MES 412 and MRSH yesterday and they sound awesome.

I have one ask for a favor though: would you mind uploading a guitar DI, if you have one? Just wanted to experiment with reamping through my tube amps to find a similar character as the one in your "All Mixes" demo. I love the tone, it sounds huge!

Thanks!

Happy birthday mate! Playing guitar and eating a nice lunch out sounds like a pretty sweet day to me.

Glad you liked the preset. I usually just chug along on my own so the extra low end can be fun but for a mix would definitely need some cleaning up. Have stated it before, but the trick I learned from @2112 of setting the input eq between about 200-300hz has been a game changer for high gain presets. Tightens the low end and just makes the character of the amp just right.

With all the talk of people not needing to add low cuts anymore in the cab block with the latest firmware, I have been trying to avoid them too. But will try your suggested global cut at 80hz, thanks.

Really cool that you will add this mix to your pack when you update it!
I genuinely loved your preset. And I trust the ears of my clients, knowing that we all have our own individual taste in tone. So if you guys discover new mixes you love, post them here and I’ll make a list for the Cab Pack update. :)

Hey mate, thank you very much for the great IRs! I purchased MES 412 and MRSH yesterday and they sound awesome.

I have one ask for a favor though: would you mind uploading a guitar DI, if you have one? Just wanted to experiment with reamping through my tube amps to find a similar character as the one in your "All Mixes" demo. I love the tone, it sounds huge!

Thanks!
I’m glad you liked that clip of the mixes! I didn’t record a DI, but I can post the preset I used and you can compare that with your amps. I’m not in front of my rig at the moment, but I’ll post it when I can. To get you started, I used the USA Lead Mid Gain Bright for that tone.

I gave these a workout with a few different amps - they play nice with nearly everything you throw at them!

Leon, thanks again for all you do for the community. I have learned so much from your videos and I couldn’t wait for you to review this pack as I just purchased it myself and it is amazing.
If you don’t mind me asking what are some of your favorite mic/blend combos in the axe fx 3 cab block for clean, rhythm and lead tones?

I’m trying to start blending but have no real world experience. I notice you like the traditional 57/121 mix with the 121 @ -9db?

So I’m supposed to be cooking and helping out with Thanksgiving but instead I bought this cab pack and it’s awesome! Fav so far is a mix of the 57-1, 57OA-1, 121-1 minus 9. Ouch!
Ok, fun is over...back to work...

I gave these a workout with a few different amps - they play nice with nearly everything you throw at them!

This made me smile pretty much the whole time. I can't tell you how much I love hearing you play with these. It means a lot to me that you took the time to make this video, so thank you!

So I’m supposed to be cooking and helping out with Thanksgiving but instead I bought this cab pack and it’s awesome! Fav so far is a mix of the 57-1, 57OA-1, 121-1 minus 9. Ouch!
Ok, fun is over...back to work...
Same here. Should be helping with Thanksgiving stuff, but had to step out to my studio for a bit to play a little guitar. But hey, playing guitar makes us happy, and when we're happy, everyone has a better time around the Thanksgiving table...so you're really doing your family a favor. ;)

I'm gonna check out that mix. I already like the mics you chose.

Reactions: MSS
This made me smile pretty much the whole time. I can't tell you how much I love hearing you play with these. It means a lot to me that you took the time to make this video, so thank you!

Same here. Should be helping with Thanksgiving stuff, but had to step out to my studio for a bit to play a little guitar. But hey, playing guitar makes us happy, and when we're happy, everyone has a better time around the Thanksgiving table...so you're really doing your family a favor. ;)

I'm gonna check out that mix. I already like the mics you chose.

Cool. Credit for -9 121 goes to LT. I always mix the 57 and 121 straight up but I think -9 works great with Fredman.

57-1 and -3db on the 57oa-1. Sounds great also. Back off db on the 57 oa until the harsh treble bite is gone. Fun stuff!

Last edited:
Cool. Credit for -9 121 goes to LT. I always mix the 57 and 121 straight up but I think -9 works great with Fredman.

57-1 and -3db on the 57oa-1. Sounds great also. Back off db on the 57 oa until the harsh treble bite is gone. Fun stuff!
That’s a great combo! 57 OA 1 is meant to sit on the bright side of things. Try the same mic recipe with 57 OA 2 instead for less top end and more low-mids from the cabinet. Edge up your treble or presence of you want a little more attack with that combo.

Reactions: MSS
I just bought the Mesa and Matchless cab packs to try out your take on IR making and its quality. The Mesa because it is THE SOUND and you can never have enough Mesa V30 IRs for rock/metal and the Matchless because the demos sound really great and you are the only modern IR maker to do one of these AFAIK, but the stuff that convinced me to spend my hard earned money was "Cab Packs will feature free updates, which will include additional mics, multi-mic mixes created by professional artists, engineers, and producers, as well as other bonus material to make your experience exciting beyond your initial purchase."

I hope that this is true and you fulfill your promise and you will no doubt get more money from me in the future ;)

I just bought the Mesa and Matchless cab packs to try out your take on IR making and its quality. The Mesa because it is THE SOUND and you can never have enough Mesa V30 IRs for rock/metal and the Matchless because the demos sound really great and you are the only modern IR maker to do one of these AFAIK, but the stuff that convinced me to spend my hard earned money was "Cab Packs will feature free updates, which will include additional mics, multi-mic mixes created by professional artists, engineers, and producers, as well as other bonus material to make your experience exciting beyond your initial purchase."

I hope that this is true and you fulfill your promise and you will no doubt get more money from me in the future ;)
Thanks for picking up those packs! And yeah, my packs will have updates. These have been live for less than two weeks, so they have some time before any updates happen. Plus, I’ve got a lot of cool things to shoot that I’m itching to get to, so that will take priority in the meantime.

This truly is THE SOUND IN MY HEAD with these cabs! Each one of these cabs is usable and sounds great! I'm glad to see that they have taken the time to make each one actually usable and musical instead of just throwing a mic in front of a cab and capturing it at various distances!

York Audio cabs are my "go to" cabs for everything now! These have taken my tone and enjoyment of playing to the next level!

Great work Justin and the York Audio team! Can't wait to see what comes out next!

Since I loved the bipolar cap pack, I couldn't resist to grab these pack once again.
One thing I remember is that the bipolar pack's Recto's low res frequency was 112hz.
Could you please tell me what is the low res frequency of this new MESA cap pack too?

Since I loved the bipolar cap pack, I couldn't resist to grab these pack once again.
One thing I remember is that the bipolar pack's Recto's low res frequency was 112hz.
Could you please tell me what is the low res frequency of this new MESA cap pack too?
Thanks for grabbing this pack too! It's quite different than the bipolar pack, but I think you'll like the familiar parts and love the new differences. I'm away from my studio for the holidays, but if you're using an Axe III, try the 4x12 Recto Large impedance curve. That one seemed to lock in pretty well to me. If you're on an Axe-II, try it at 112 Hz and see how you feel, or maybe someone with a III would be kind enough to tell us the low resonance of the 4x12 Recto Large curve.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
-Justin

Back
Top Bottom