IRs York Audio presents the MES 412 in .Wav format based on Mesa!

Third-party impulse response pack

York Audio

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
If you haven't seen it yet, please check out my new website www.yorkaudio.co to see all new Cab Packs in .wav format. It's a completely new experience with ONLY hand selected IR's with meticulous attention to detail. Each mic has 5 unique shots from various sweet spots on the speaker. Dynamic mics also have off-axis shots included for more variety and character. Here's a clip of the MES 412 with the HBE 2018.

The York Audio MES 412 Cab Pack is based on a 2007 Mesa Oversized “Recto” straight 4x12 cabinet loaded with UK made 70 watt Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. This one is a BEAST! The thick lows and chunky mids bring power and authority to your riffs. This is THE Mesa tone you hear in your head when you think of this cab.

Each capture was chosen and tuned by ear to work with a wide variety of guitars, amps, and music styles. Also included are multi-mic mixes for enormous tones with minimal effort.

Mics included in this Cab Pack:
57 - based on a Shure SM57
58 - based on a Shure SM58
421v - based on a vintage Sennheiser MD421
421m - based on a modern Sennheiser MD421
906 - based on a Sennheiser e906
SM7 - based on a Shure SM7b
58 - based on a Shure SM58
121 - based on a Royer R-121
160 - based on a Beyerdynamic M160
313 - based on a Shure KSM313
414 - based on an AKG C414

Last edited:
Your old Mesa pack was my favorite IR for that sound ever and it's so awesome to have those tones in .wav format. Grats on the launch :) The inclusion of the ShureKSM313 is bound to make a lot of Petrucci fans happy ;)

Your old Mesa pack was my favorite IR for that sound ever and it's so awesome to have those tones in .wav format. Grats on the launch :) The inclusion of the ShureKSM313 is bound to make a lot of Petrucci fans happy ;)
Thanks for saying that. This pack was made from the same cab as the BiPolar Recto, but this is a different speaker, new room, better gear, and an improved capture method... basically... it sounds insane and I can't wait to hear what people do with it. I'm posting a clip below with all of the Mixes from this pack. There are quite a few Petrucci-esque mixes in here, but I like Mix 08 for that kinda vibe.

Here's a clip of the MES 412's multi-mic mixes. I used the same patch with a looper and just scrolled through the mixes in order to hear the tonal diversity without even touching your amp's controls. Of course, different mixes cater to different amps and playing styles, but this will give you an idea of what's in the box.

Bought this the other night. First time purchasing third party IRs and have no idea how to install it yet but I'll figure it out. :cool:
Thanks for picking it up! I’m away from my unit at the moment, but I’ll try to walk you through the importing process from memory.

1. Open Axe-Edit.
2. Under Tools, click “Axe-manage cabs”
3. When the user cab window opens, click browser on the top left and click “show/hide” and an empty gray window will open on the left.
4. Click browser again and select “open directory” and find the York Audio MES 412 folder.
5. Choose the 48k folder.
6. From there, you can choose what you want to import. (I’d suggest importing the Mixes first) Click the Mixes folder and hit ok. You’ll see them listed in the gray window.
7. Just drop and drag them into your user slots. They’ll appear in red. Click “save” on the bottom right of the screen and watch them turn green. Hit OK when it finishes.
8. Go back to preset and click on the cab block to change your cab. Go to your user cabs and load one of your new IR’s.
9. Shred.

If you want to import single mics, go for the MPT folder. Those will be phase coherent with everything else in the Axe.

Side note. I always go to the cab block’s preamp page and set the high cut up to 20k For the most realism, but some like to keep it down at 10k.

I hope it helps, and have fun!

What amp model are you using in second clip is that and HBE or a Recto it sounds massive

Man hard to decide between the Zilla
And this one

What do you recommend for the drop D Saint Asonia. Skillet Shinedown
Stuff???

What amp model are you using in second clip is that and HBE or a Recto it sounds massive

Man hard to decide between the Zilla
And this one

What do you recommend for the drop D Saint Asonia. Skillet Shinedown
Stuff???
For the “Mixes” clip that goes through all 10 mixes, that’s the USA Lead Mid Gain Brt model with the same amp settings with all of the mixes (didn’t know if you meant the second clip...in that clip..). The “Modern Rock” clip used the HBE 2018.

I think for the St. Asonia/Skillet vibe, the MES is the way to go. Those tones have that big 4x12 “whooomph,” while the ZILA has a tighter, more focused “groooomph”......I know (facepalm)... it makes more sense if you’ve played them both.

Bought all the packs. For anybody who already owns the Bipolar pack and is worried this may sound too similar to the Mesa in that pack, rest easy. It sounds like a Mesa, sure, but this is most definitely its own thing and I love it. The Bipolar pack is fantastic and I will always love it and use it still, but this pack, with these speakers, in the new studio space, new techniques, etc. sound absolutely massive while still being insanely clear. To my ear, just the single dynamic mics on there own have this thickness that would usually only happen if I blended a few IRs together, but again, its still clear enough to hear all the notes in your big chords. And, like Bipolar pack, it works perfect for things outside of the crushing high gain universe.

All the new packs are absolute winners in my book. Different people hear things differently, tone is subjective, but I honestly don't see myself venturing too far from all the York Audio IRs I've accumulated, and can't wait to see what else comes in the future. Now I wish there was a way to expand the IR storage in the AXE FX so I could not have to worry about storage space and just load every IR from every present and future pack.

I like ML Sound Lab’s IRs but sure enough, I like this pack.
ML‘s have a bit more bass IMHO, just for the comparaison.

It’s an excellent pack with interesting single mics.
:)

LOVE your bipolar pack so will definitely purchase this today. You are a master at capturing great IRs York.

I what impedance curve do you recommend to use with these?

Bought all the packs. For anybody who already owns the Bipolar pack and is worried this may sound too similar to the Mesa in that pack, rest easy. It sounds like a Mesa, sure, but this is most definitely its own thing and I love it. The Bipolar pack is fantastic and I will always love it and use it still, but this pack, with these speakers, in the new studio space, new techniques, etc. sound absolutely massive while still being insanely clear. To my ear, just the single dynamic mics on there own have this thickness that would usually only happen if I blended a few IRs together, but again, its still clear enough to hear all the notes in your big chords. And, like Bipolar pack, it works perfect for things outside of the crushing high gain universe.

All the new packs are absolute winners in my book. Different people hear things differently, tone is subjective, but I honestly don't see myself venturing too far from all the York Audio IRs I've accumulated, and can't wait to see what else comes in the future. Now I wish there was a way to expand the IR storage in the AXE FX so I could not have to worry about storage space and just load every IR from every present and future pack.
Sincerely, I can’t thank you enough for your kind words. That review literally made me smile. I put a ton of time and energy into these things, and it means the world to me that you connected with it so well.

I like ML Sound Lab’s IRs but sure enough, I like this pack.
ML‘s have a bit more bass IMHO, just for the comparaison.

It’s an excellent pack with interesting single mics.
Thanks for chiming in. I’m glad you’re liking the pack and had a chance to explore the single mics. Hopefully you’ve found some golden nuggets in there.

LOVE your bipolar pack so will definitely purchase this today. You are a master at capturing great IRs York.

I what impedance curve do you recommend to use with these?
Thanks a lot! If you like the bipolar pack, I think you’ll REALLY dig this one. They’re very different, but that’s a good thing. This one sounds meaner IMO. As far as the impedance curve goes, Recto Large feels pretty dang good.

ps. You mentioned in another thread wanting me to redo the Mesa. It was so hard to keep quiet knowing I was days away from releasing this bad boy.

Sincerely, I can’t thank you enough for your kind words. That review literally made me smile. I put a ton of time and energy into these things, and it means the world to me that you connected with it so well.

Thanks for chiming in. I’m glad you’re liking the pack and had a chance to explore the single mics. Hopefully you’ve found some golden nuggets in there.

Thanks a lot! If you like the bipolar pack, I think you’ll REALLY dig this one. They’re very different, but that’s a good thing. This one sounds meaner IMO. As far as the impedance curve goes, Recto Large feels pretty dang good.

ps. You mentioned in another thread wanting me to redo the Mesa. It was so hard to keep quiet knowing I was days away from releasing this bad boy.
Hahaha yeah I was thinking that too. So glad you did :)

For the “Mixes” clip that goes through all 10 mixes, that’s the USA Lead Mid Gain Brt model with the same amp settings with all of the mixes (didn’t know if you meant the second clip...in that clip..). The “Modern Rock” clip used the HBE 2018.

I think for the St. Asonia/Skillet vibe, the MES is the way to go. Those tones have that big 4x12 “whooomph,” while the ZILA has a tighter, more focused “groooomph”......I know (facepalm)... it makes more sense if you’ve played them both.

Thanks so much for your advice
I can definitely hear the Thud
From the Mesa that you hear on those bands recordings

So i grabbed the pack ..

And i loved the Matchless cleans
I think you used that in the
We were born to fly . Correct ?
Anyway i got that one

And since 3 is a charm I thought why not and grabbed the Marshall20 as well

I figure this should about cover the
Modern hi gain
Class A chime
Country Twang
And brit classic and 80 crunch
Pretty well

Thanks for picking it up! I’m away from my unit at the moment, but I’ll try to walk you through the importing process from memory.

1. Open Axe-Edit.
2. Under Tools, click “Axe-manage cabs”
3. When the user cab window opens, click browser on the top left and click “show/hide” and an empty gray window will open on the left.
4. Click browser again and select “open directory” and find the York Audio MES 412 folder.
5. Choose the 48k folder.
6. From there, you can choose what you want to import. (I’d suggest importing the Mixes first) Click the Mixes folder and hit ok. You’ll see them listed in the gray window.
7. Just drop and drag them into your user slots. They’ll appear in red. Click “save” on the bottom right of the screen and watch them turn green. Hit OK when it finishes.
8. Go back to preset and click on the cab block to change your cab. Go to your user cabs and load one of your new IR’s.
9. Shred.

If you want to import single mics, go for the MPT folder. Those will be phase coherent with everything else in the Axe.

Side note. I always go to the cab block’s preamp page and set the high cut up to 20k For the most realism, but some like to keep it down at 10k.

I hope it helps, and have fun!

Your instructions were spot on and made it easy on me. Thank you.

I only had time to mess with it a little bit and only with headphones but I like what I hear so far. Mix 2 and 7 sounded awesome in the headphones. Looking forward to spending more time with it and trying out the single mics.

Thanks again!

Justin, I purchased the 4x12 pack...and it is glorious! I have tons of 4x12 Mesa IRs already and always tell myself there is no point getting any more but quite seriously, these are next level. I loved the bipolar pack, but I love these even more. The mixes are fantastic and provide a great tone instantly and I am finding mixing the singles in simple combinations are giving brilliant results. Am loving the 57 mixed with the 313. Super chunky goodness. Am going to see if I can match some Petrucci tones with it (what else is new?) as all the mics for that are in there, although as you say mix 8 sounds pretty good for that.

Only played for a bit, but will be spending a lot of time with these over the next few days. Thanks for such a great pack at really reasonable prices (I find IR packs are starting to creep up in price around the place. Not to diminish the really hard work of IR producers, but I am grateful for your more reasonable pricing so everyone can have a go).

Am also findIng with heavy amps, setting low cut to 200hz in the input eq (thanks @2112 for the tip) means no need for any low (or high) cuts with this pack. Just great.

One question - Cliff was talking about IR length and early reflections in a recent thread. Do you happen to have any curves or info on early reflection points over time for your IR captures? Also, do you happen to know the low resonance frequency of the cab? Would be cool to know and play around with. Cheers.

Ps. I purchased the zilla pack as well but haven’t tried it yet. Can’t drag myself away from the 4x12 :)

Last edited:
Justin, I purchased the 4x12 pack...and it is glorious! I have tons of 4x12 Mesa IRs already and always tell myself there is no point getting any more but quite seriously, these are next level. I loved the bipolar pack, but I love these even more. The mixes are fantastic and provide a great tone instantly and I am finding mixing the singles in simple combinations are giving brilliant results. Am loving the 57 mixed with the 313. Super chunky goodness. Am going to see if I can match some Petrucci tones with it (what else is new?) as all the mics for that are in there, although as you say mix 8 sounds pretty good for that.

Only played for a bit, but will be spending a lot of time with these over the next few days. Thanks for such a great pack at really reasonable prices (I find IR packs are starting to creep up in price around the place. Not to diminish the really hard work of IR producers, but I am grateful for your more reasonable pricing so everyone can have a go).

Am also findIng with heavy amps, setting low cut to 200hz in the input eq (thanks @2112 for the tip) means no need for any low (or high) cuts with this pack. Just great.

One question - Cliff was talking about IR length and early reflections in a recent thread. Do you happen to have any curves or info on early reflection points over time for your IR captures? Also, do you happen to know the low resonance frequency of the cab? Would be cool to know and play around with. Cheers.

Ps. I purchased the zilla pack as well but haven’t tried it yet. Can’t drag myself away from the 4x12 :)

I agree w you 100%
If you use Mesa amps this is the perfect match
I haven’t. Even tried the other 2 I bought
Just going through the Rectos and JP2C
Its crazy direct how you can almost feel it pushing air and the grunt
Great Pack

I just bought the MES 412. Paired with the JP2C amp in my Axe III and it sounds absolutely glorious! Thanks so much for putting this out there @York Audio! Anyone who is trying to decide whether or not to purchase this pack, I can honestly say, do it! It is that good!

Back
Top Bottom