York Audio Presents: The Bipolar Pack

Duuuuuuuuude. I had to stop playing to come post.

Okay so, I have only tried the first couple of mixes for each cab...and they both significantly improved my tone on existing presets without tweaking a single setting. This is insane man! I hadn't really found a single Mesa IR that I enjoyed playing, which always blew my mind because a ton of my favorite bands use them. Wow.

I am going to try to get around to recording a demo using these soon.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Also, here's another free IR to demonstrate a multi-mic mix using IR's found in The Bipolar Pack. It's big and clear and showcases a more full-range example of what you can expect. Let me know what you think!
I really like this IR, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check the pack out as I really liked the Ownhammer JYC.

Here's a clip comparing it with my favourite factory cab (#149) with the Orange Modern Recto2.

I really like this IR, thanks for sharing. I'll have to check the pack out as I really liked the Ownhammer JYC.

Here's a clip comparing it with my favourite factory cab (#149) with the Orange Modern Recto2.

That was awesome! Thanks for taking the time to make this, and I'm thrilled that you're liking the free IR. You just made my day!

That was awesome! Thanks for taking the time to make this, and I'm thrilled that you're liking the free IR. You just made my day!
My pleasure! Do you happen to know the resonant frequency of your cab by any chance? I find it's one of the biggest factors in matching an IR to an amp and tend to spend a bit of time tweaking it to get it right, so even a ballpark value would be very helpful.

hey Justin

just quickly logged in to say thanks for the free IRs. Really looking forward to giving it a try later today as well as checking out the pack!

btw I think the link to the cab pack on your signature is broken ;)

what a difference! can't wait to try it myself, almost sold on pulling the trigger already :p

My pleasure! Do you happen to know the resonant frequency of your cab by any chance? I find it's one of the biggest factors in matching an IR to an amp and tend to spend a bit of time tweaking it to get it right, so even a ballpark value would be very helpful.
I'm not in front of my notes at the moment, but I want to say the Recto resonance frequency is around 112-114 Hz. At least that should get you in the ballpark.

hey Justin

just quickly logged in to say thanks for the free IRs. Really looking forward to giving it a try later today as well as checking out the pack!

btw I think the link to the cab pack on your signature is broken ;)
You're very welcome! Thanks for taking the time to stop by, and I hope you enjoy them. I'm stumped on the broken link thing. It's working just fine on my computer and my phone. Any idea why it's not working for you? This one goes straight to the pack and shouldn't give you any issues. Thanks for letting me know.

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/York_Audio_The_Bipolar_Pack_p/fas-801-0033.htm

I'm not in front of my notes at the moment, but I want to say the Recto resonance frequency is around 112-114 Hz. At least that should get you in the ballpark.

You're very welcome! Thanks for taking the time to stop by, and I hope you enjoy them. I'm stumped on the broken link thing. It's working just fine on my computer and my phone. Any idea why it's not working for you? This one goes straight to the pack and shouldn't give you any issues. Thanks for letting me know.

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/York_Audio_The_Bipolar_Pack_p/fas-801-0033.htm

I don't know what happened the first time around when I clicked it, but it's working now so it's all good :)

Works a treat at 112hz, much appreciated. Looking forward to picking this pack up.

just dropped by to leave a super quick test I did with one of the IRs included in the pack (YA RECTO ST 412 57M A)

zero post processing, your mileage may vary, yadda yadda

I don't have a lot of experience with fractal cab packs but I've messed around with IRs from other companies for quite a bit and these ones definitely cleared up some of the muddiness as well as brought the presence up in a pleasant way.

I'm definitely looking forward to digging deeper into these

just dropped by to leave a super quick test I did with one of the IRs included in the pack (YA RECTO ST 412 57M A)

zero post processing, your mileage may vary, yadda yadda

I don't have a lot of experience with fractal cab packs but I've messed around with IRs from other companies for quite a bit and these ones definitely cleared up some of the muddiness as well as brought the presence up in a pleasant way.

I'm definitely looking forward to digging deeper into these

Thank you for the clip! I'm so happy these are working out for you!

I've been reworking my clean and bluesy presets with v8 using the Bipolar Cab YA Class-A 15W Mix 7 and rolled off at 120Hz/-12dB/oct in the cab block. It's a nice balanced IR and am finding it works well with the following amps (set to their defaults as a start):

071 Hook 1A (ECC83 is the preamp tube default; I'm using the 12AX7 B)
027 Band-Commander

094 Deluxe VerbVib
107 DoubleVerb Norm (nice for cleans, very punchy; in use on my clean preset)
165 Mr Z Mz-38
182 PrinceTone NR
183 Prince Tone Rev
217 Suhr Badger 30
218 SuperVerb Norm
219 SuperVerb Vib
252 Vibrato Lux
254 Vibrato Verb AB

I have the Band-Commander in AMP X, Hook 1A in AMP Y in my edge of breakup preset (for use with a neck single coil), and the DoubleVerb Norm for my clean preset all based on that IR. I like the tonal range of IR mixes in the pack; they cover a lot of ground. Great IR's....

After using the free Recto IR Justin posted for the last few weeks (including using it as my main IR on tour) I downloaded the whole pack today. I like all of the Recto mixes in their own right but still found myself gravitating towards the free IR; that is until I got into the single mic favourites. A simple 121/57 blend in the box does exactly what I want it to do and really brings amps like the Recto1, HBE and USA C++ to life.

The revelation for me though are the other side of the bipolar packs; as other users have noted they're all very musical and set themselves apart from anything else offered in the box or other cab packs. I'm finally vibing with the AC30 models now and the IR's sound great with amps like the Dirty Shirley and Twin.

Here's a quick hit through some of the mixes with a pair of presets I set up around the IR's. More of these packs please!

I've been reworking my clean and bluesy presets with v8 using the Bipolar Cab YA Class-A 15W Mix 7 and rolled off at 120Hz/-12dB/oct in the cab block. It's a nice balanced IR and am finding it works well with the following amps (set to their defaults as a start):

071 Hook 1A (ECC83 is the preamp tube default; I'm using the 12AX7 B)
027 Band-Commander

094 Deluxe VerbVib
107 DoubleVerb Norm (nice for cleans, very punchy; in use on my clean preset)
165 Mr Z Mz-38
182 PrinceTone NR
183 Prince Tone Rev
217 Suhr Badger 30
218 SuperVerb Norm
219 SuperVerb Vib
252 Vibrato Lux
254 Vibrato Verb AB

I have the Band-Commander in AMP X, Hook 1A in AMP Y in my edge of breakup preset (for use with a neck single coil), and the DoubleVerb Norm for my clean preset all based on that IR. I like the tonal range of IR mixes in the pack; they cover a lot of ground. Great IR's....

I'm so glad you're liking the AC-15! I need to try it out with more Fenders. I've been using the single 57M A through the AC20 in rehearsals and it's sounding amazing in the mix. Great chime and midrange that cuts through the mix and still stays smooth. For the AC-15 Mixes, I think 1, 7, and 9 are my favorites. Mix 7 is made from two really cool unique mics. I love that you gravitated towards that mix.

After using the free Recto IR Justin posted for the last few weeks (including using it as my main IR on tour) I downloaded the whole pack today. I like all of the Recto mixes in their own right but still found myself gravitating towards the free IR; that is until I got into the single mic favourites. A simple 121/57 blend in the box does exactly what I want it to do and really brings amps like the Recto1, HBE and USA C++ to life.

The revelation for me though are the other side of the bipolar packs; as other users have noted they're all very musical and set themselves apart from anything else offered in the box or other cab packs. I'm finally vibing with the AC30 models now and the IR's sound great with amps like the Dirty Shirley and Twin.

Here's a quick hit through some of the mixes with a pair of presets I set up around the IR's. More of these packs please!

Dude!!! Loving that video! Thanks for taking the time to make it and showcase some cool sounds. It makes me really happy that you're happy with your tone. After all, that's what it's all about. And I'm glad you're starting to connect with Class-A amps. That was the main idea behind the cab pack... give people a killer 4x12 and a killer combo to create a huge spectrum of tones and tools to discover new sounds. I can't wait to hear more from you!

To illustrate the accuracy of these captures, I mic'd up my favorite modded Marshall head through the Recto cab and performed a riff. Then I shot an IR and used the HBE to match the tone and feel without using any tone match EQ or anything. The clip below switches between the real Marshall and the Fractal at various points.

The two are so close, that any difference would be negligible in a mix or playing with a live band. You truly get the tone and character of these cabs.

-Justin York
York Audio

it sounds great and it's very close but i still can hear a difference! :)
can't surely tell which one is micd and which one is IR but i think that i can hear at least a pattern and it should be A B B A.
i like the "A" more it sounds more natural, where "B" has slightly stringer pronounced mids of the lower kind, could be wrong though...

That's a good answer, and I like that you listened so closely, but the pattern isn't ABBA. I won't reveal the key to when and how many times it switches, but I will say that you preferred the IR over the mic'd amp. There's a little difference simply because my Marshall is a model not currently in the Axe, so I used the HBE and made a few minor tweaks in the amp GEQ along with the supply sag to get it close enough to make a point. It's crazy how close it can get though, huh?

Whenever a "nonbeliever" questions my Fractal, I just play them that clip and then awesome conversations follow. At this point, it's nearly impossible to discern what is and isn't real. It's a pretty cool time to be a guitar player.

that's very interesting, i need to check this pack out, seems like a winner!

just to be absolutely sure, the example starts with the IR right?
i thought i was hearing four sections, mic, IR, IR, mic but as you stated that this pattern is not correct
i assume the sample starts with the IR and i really like the beginning and the end of the example, the middle part
sounds more present in the mids and these are kind of nasty.

Back
Top Bottom