IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Justin, was this a re-shoot of your live Mesa OS cab, or of your other "Brand new" one? Any thoughts on how they compare now that they're captured?

EDIT: I just noticed the original is no longer on your site, So this is a straight up replacement?

Here it is! Introducing the York Audio MES 412 OS-V2 Cab Pack! Based on a 2008 Mesa "Oversized" 4x12 loaded with the original Mesa spec Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. With all of the accrued knowledge, updated methodology, and customer feedback over the past year, it was time to revisit the legendary Mesa OS cab.

I couldn't be happier with it and finally unlocked that "Mesa tone" we hear in our heads when we think about this cab. It sounds absolutely massive! With deep punchy lows, angry midrange, and a detailed top end that cuts without harshness, this thing has to be played to be believed. One of my beta testers was ecstatic that someone "finally got the Mesa OS low end right." I'm so happy with this one and really can't wait to hear what you guys think about it!

Here's a clip using the PVH Block model and Mix 01 from the pack. I chose this progression to let the tone breathe and showcase the clarity in complex chords as well as the meaty chunk with palm mutes. I hope you like it!

Damn! Talk about coincidence, or were you just waiting for the right moment! More YA 2020 goodness! 👍

I assume V2 is a new purchase for V1 owners? Could you post a clip with a comparable mix or mic + position to compare the 2 packs? Trying to get an understanding on what the improvements and/or sound deltas are as I own the original YA MES 412 (V1) and don't see it on the website anymore. I thought the V1 also had the original V30's as well.

Any insight as to the main deltas in the V2 vs V1 packs?

Gary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that IR differ from that I bought BGNR Bogna V1.01?.. And, Torpedo Remote does not recognize it
as well as another one I bought York Audio MTCH 212 V1.02....

The clip sounded great...like a Mesa cab! Just got the updated pack! Thanks
Thank you! You’ll have to let me know what you think of it!

Justin, was this a re-shoot of your live Mesa OS cab, or of your other "Brand new" one? Any thoughts on how they compare now that they're captured?

EDIT: I just noticed the original is no longer on your site, So this is a straight up replacement?
This is a full re-shoot of my live cab with a different speaker. I shot both cabs and the “new one” sounded thin and harsh in comparison.

Good eye! I took the old one down because it’s not even on the same planet as this one and I felt like THIS is the representation of that cab that I want people to experience.

Damn! Talk about coincidence, or were you just waiting for the right moment! More YA 2020 goodness! 👍

I assume V2 is a new purchase for V1 owners? Could you post a clip with a comparable mix or mic + position to compare the 2 packs? Trying to get an understanding on what the improvements and/or sound deltas are as I own the original YA MES 412 (V1) and don't see it on the website anymore. I thought the V1 also had the original V30's as well.

Any insight as to the main deltas in the V2 vs V1 packs?

Gary
Hahaha! It was just a coincidence that you made that post and this released the next day. The Mesa OS is one of those crucial cabs for any IR maker, so I wanted to invest a lot of time into it to make sure it was great.

The V2 is a completely new product. Every aspect of my methodology has changed since the first one released in November of 2019. I used better methods, better outboard gear, tweaked the mic selection (even comparing three modern 57’s to find the best one for this cab), chose a different “original speaker” since they all sound different, added more mixes, and included extra shots like Room, Rear, and Side for a more AITR experience with headphones.

“V2” refers to a complete overhaul on the cab. I’ll try to make a V1 vs V2 comparison clip to showcase the tonal differences. Overall, V2 has less sizzle, better midrange focus, and a cleaner low end that still feels thick.

@honeypat Yes, this is a different IR entirely. The Bogna is based on a Bogner Standard 4x12 with 16 ohm English made V30s and this one is a Mesa Oversized 4x12 with special Mesa spec 8 ohm V30s. As far as Torpedo Remote goes, I just imported Bogna v1.01 and MTCH v1.02 files into mine using a Torpedo Live and it worked fine using both 96k and 48k files, so I'm not sure why your unit isn't recognizing them.

Wow this sounded great @York Audio
I am not a massive mess fan but this sounds so tight

you know I love to challenge you Justin so would these shots give you a good Metallica (Hammett with a les Paul as he does part of his show live) tone?

come on surprise us my friend and don’t delete the preset as I am sure you’ll convince me to buy it 🤣

Could you post a clip with a comparable mix or mic + position to compare the 2 packs?

Don't judge me too harshly... I had to do this quickly.

Using the Recto 1 Red model boosted with the T808 Drive. V2 is more focussed, controlled in the low end, and smoother in the top end. V1 has crazy low end, hollow midrange, and tons of sizzle.

Clip 1 - MES V2 single 57
Clip 2 - MES V1 single 57
Clip 3 - MES V2 Mix 57 + 121
Clip 4 - MES V1 Mix 57 + 121

Don't judge me too harshly... I had to do this quickly.

Using the Recto 1 Red model boosted with the T808 Drive. V2 is more focussed, controlled in the low end, and smoother in the top end. V1 has crazy low end, hollow midrange, and tons of sizzle.

Clip 1 - MES V2 single 57
Clip 2 - MES V1 single 57
Clip 3 - MES V2 Mix 57 + 121
Clip 4 - MES V1 Mix 57 + 121

V2 does sound quite a bit better alright

Justin this V2 Mesa cab is absolutely glorious... I am seriously floored. I just so happened to be playing with my 5150 presets when I saw this was released and figured I’d give it a shot as I have yet to find my perfect sounding Mesa Cab for modern metal, thrash, metalcore... that is until I tried this one.
I just have messed around with mix 1 and 3 and I can already say that this will probably be my go to cab pack for all things metal.

The V1 pack sounded good but this is something truly special. The low end and midrange character are absolutely perfect and gives that iconic Mesa sound. Just plain massive and beautifully brutal...

Justin this V2 Mesa cab is absolutely glorious... I am seriously floored. I just so happened to be playing with my 5150 presets when I saw this was released and figured I’d give it a shot as I have yet to find my perfect sounding Mesa Cab for modern metal, thrash, metalcore... that is until I tried this one.
I just have messed around with mix 1 and 3 and I can already say that this will probably be my go to cab pack for all things metal.

The V1 pack sounded good but this is something truly special. The low end and midrange character are absolutely perfect and gives that iconic Mesa sound. Just plain massive and beautifully brutal...
Man, this makes me so happy to read! I’m thrilled that you’re liking the Mesa OS V2 and couldn’t agree with you more. It just sounds “right.” There are a lot of great mixes in that pack, but I could live on Mix 01 all day long.

Try the PVH Block model with all EQ knobs at 6, gain at 3.5-4, Presence at zero-1.5, Depth at 7, and Master Volume around 2.4. Make sure to use the 4x12 Recto Large impedance curve and it’s just massive!

Man, this makes me so happy to read! I’m thrilled that you’re liking the Mesa OS V2 and couldn’t agree with you more. It just sounds “right.” There are a lot of great mixes in that pack, but I could live on Mix 01 all day long.

Try the PVH Block model with all EQ knobs at 6, gain at 3.5-4, Presence at zero-1.5, Depth at 7, and Master Volume around 2.4. Make sure to use the 4x12 Recto Large impedance curve and it’s just massive!

I will definitely give that a try later! Thanks for the tip! How would you incorporate the room/rear/side mics?

I will definitely give that a try later! Thanks for the tip! How would you incorporate the room/rear/side mics?
I normally use SIDE, personally, but you can use whichever one gives you the frequency enhancement you’re looking for. I don’t typically feel the need to use them with Mixes, but they’re really useful for filling out single mic captures and taking top end edge. I start with them at around -13dB and edge them up to where they’re more felt than heard.

It’s all personal preference though. One of my beta testers loves using them at unity, so different strokes for different folks. :)

I think my favorite part of these new IRs and the latest Axe Firmware release thread was realizing on the Axe setting Presence at 0 can still be fine. I would usually start at 5 and inch up and down but I've been having a lot of fun starting at 0 and slowly bringing it up.

Also, there's a part of me that still likes some of the unique character of the OS pack V1, but considering how much anything I throw at the new pack Mix 1 just sounds good I think you've nailed it.

I think my favorite part of these new IRs and the latest Axe Firmware release thread was realizing on the Axe setting Presence at 0 can still be fine. I would usually start at 5 and inch up and down but I've been having a lot of fun starting at 0 and slowly bringing it up.

Also, there's a part of me that still likes some of the unique character of the OS pack V1, but considering how much anything I throw at the new pack Mix 1 just sounds good I think you've nailed it.
I totally agree. I thought that SOME amps had a different Presence taper, but didn't know they all had it. The 5150 definitely benefits from starting the Presence at zero, while I still like Marshalls with the Presence around 6 or so. That knob and the Master Volume control do a TON for shaping your tone. I'm finding that messing with the Master Volume in high gain amps can give you more clarity and air at lower settings and can fill out low-mids and tame some sizzle as you slowly bring it up.

Whenever I shoot new IRs, I never listen to my old stuff or any other IR makers' content to make sure my ears aren't skewed by outside influence. I knew the Mesa OS needed an overhaul just because so much has changed in my process over the last year and was a bit nervous to finally compare the two after the MES OS V2 was completed. It was night and day. The V2 felt incredible under the fingers, spoke more clearly in the frequencies you want, and didn't need the low/high cuts that the V1 cab needed.

That's a much bigger difference than I expected there, between V2 and V1! I agree, V2 just sounds bigger, thicker yet tighter and more articulate. Two often contradictory aspects that can be hard to find a good balance between, especially for heavy high gain tones.

This really makes me wonder what a V2 of your MRSH M20 would sound like, given that it was shot around the same time as the V1 Mesa 412 OS as well, and remains one of my favourite York Audio cabs. Any thoughts on doing this?

That's a much bigger difference than I expected there, between V2 and V1! I agree, V2 just sounds bigger, thicker yet tighter and more articulate. Two often contradictory aspects that can be hard to find a good balance between, especially for heavy high gain tones.

This really makes me wonder what a V2 of your MRSH M20 would sound like, given that it was shot around the same time as the V1 Mesa 412 OS as well, and remains one of my favourite York Audio cabs. Any thoughts on doing this?
Yeah, I’d like to revisit the M20 as well. I’ve had a lot of requests for smaller cabs and other speakers though, so it’s just about making a plan to get everything covered. 2021 is gonna be a very busy year.

Wow this sounded great @York Audio
I am not a massive mess fan but this sounds so tight

you know I love to challenge you Justin so would these shots give you a good Metallica (Hammett with a les Paul as he does part of his show live) tone?

come on surprise us my friend and don’t delete the preset as I am sure you’ll convince me to buy it 🤣

Any luck with the Metallica Les Paun inspired challenge my friend?

In the S&M 2 Hetfield does it as well in the memory remains ... Kirk does it in this one for example

Come on Justin convince me to purchase it (and keep the preset to share hahahaa 😜)

Now seriously I will buy as I get home

Any luck with the Metallica Les Paun inspired challenge my friend?

In the S&M 2 Hetfield does it as well in the memory remains ... Kirk does it in this one for example

Come on Justin convince me to purchase it (and keep the preset to share hahahaa 😜)

Now seriously I will buy as I get home

There's A LOT going on in that mix, so it's tricky to mentally isolate the guitar tones because sometimes you're hearing guitar and brass together which alters your top end perception. It also sounds like James' tone changes a bit throughout the song... sometimes on the dark side and sometimes on the fizzy side, but I think I got a good balance of both in there using SM7-1 and 414-1 together with the IIC++ model. I'd have an easier time nailing down the tone with a less dense mix.

There's A LOT going on in that mix, so it's tricky to mentally isolate the guitar tones because sometimes you're hearing guitar and brass together which alters your top end perception. It also sounds like James' tone changes a bit throughout the song... sometimes on the dark side and sometimes on the fizzy side, but I think I got a good balance of both in there using SM7-1 and 414-1 together with the IIC++ model. I'd have an easier time nailing down the tone with a less dense mix.

Come on mate where would be the fun of it was easy hhahaha

Thanks for the advice will try it later!!

Back
Top Bottom