IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I'm a recent convert to the YA 5153 IRs. That 421 CNE mixes beautifully with a 160. All of the YA IRs seem to have more high end than I'm used to, coming from Ownhammer stuff- should I be moving my LP filter down from 12k? I realize tone is subjective but I'm curious to hear what y'all are doing.

I'm a recent convert to the YA 5153 IRs. That 421 CNE mixes beautifully with a 160. All of the YA IRs seem to have more high end than I'm used to, coming from Ownhammer stuff- should I be moving my LP filter down from 12k? I realize tone is subjective but I'm curious to hear what y'all are doing.
Welcome to the YA family! :) The top end in my captures is accurate to the real thing. I personally take the high cut all the way off and just use the amp’s presence and treble controls to tweak the top end just like you would on a real amp. Once you get it sounding great without the high cut, feel free to back it down if you need to, but I wouldn’t go any lower than 12k or else you’ll start taking away energy that brings your tone to life in a mix.

Welcome to the YA family! :) The top end in my captures is accurate to the real thing. I personally take the high cut all the way off and just use the amp’s presence and treble controls to tweak the top end just like you would on a real amp. Once you get it sounding great without the high cut, feel free to back it down if you need to, but I wouldn’t go any lower than 12k or else you’ll start taking away energy that brings your tone to life in a mix.
+1

There has long been (or was?) a trend among Axe-Fx user to apply huge amounts of high cut, like around 6-8k. I guess some people like muffle city, but it just sounds like a muddy and flat mess to me with it that low.

I hope more people will come around and realise that all those legendary guitar tones on records are usually bright and thin by comparison. They have to be, to fit with other instruments in a mix (without building the entire mix around the guitar, which always sounds weird to me).

Thanks for the tips! Sounds like I'm just used to using really dark IRs. I'm sure my ears will come around :)

I’m looking for some YA IRs that would work well with modern high gain amps like the Diezel Herbert/VH4, especially for lower tunings. Can someone recommend a pack? Still somewhat new to this. I have the YA Mesa OS pack and it is great. Didn’t know if there was a better fit for this stuff though!

I’m looking for some YA IRs that would work well with modern high gain amps like the Diezel Herbert/VH4, especially for lower tunings. Can someone recommend a pack? Still somewhat new to this. I have the YA Mesa OS pack and it is great. Didn’t know if there was a better fit for this stuff though!
I bought the EVH cab not being 100% sure what to expect, but I’ve fallen in love with it, and it’s great for what you describe. I mix it with the Friedman cab pretty often. I imagine it would mix well with the Mesa too.

Maybe the Zilla for another kind of sonic flavor?

Do you have some tonal references you’re going for? And how low are you tuned? Off the top of my head, I’d look at the 5153, Orange 4x12, Bogner 4x12, and the Friedman 4x12, but learning more about what you’re after will help me to give you a better recommendation.

I love the 5153 pack for low tuned stuff. I found the Zilla 2x12 to be a little boxy with my presets, but I'm sure it's just a subjective thing.

So... after driving my dear friend @York Audio mad about how capturing modern Brian May tone which combines a Blue and a G12H this sound is slightly harsh compared to some other studio tones as i am trying to achieve that live groove

KAT.jpeg
All IRs available at https://www.yorkaudio.co/
Here are the ones I am picking
Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 13.28.23.png
This is my result using a stock settings VOXAC30TB with a treble booster and lifting up the drive to 8.25

Hope you like it...

So... after driving my dear friend @York Audio mad about how capturing modern Brian May tone which combines a Blue and a G12H this sound is slightly harsh compared to some other studio tones as i am trying to achieve that live groove

View attachment 81594
All IRs available at https://www.yorkaudio.co/
Here are the ones I am picking
View attachment 81595
This is my result using a stock settings VOXAC30TB with a treble booster and lifting up the drive to 8.25

Hope you like it...

Try the NON-Top Boost AC30 model and maybe switch your H30 IR to something warmer than a Cap-Edge capture like the 1-5 options. The videos you sent me had all of his amps mic’ing the H30, so try using one of those as your primary IR and blend in the Blue a bit lower to emulate the mic primarily picking up the H30 with some underlying Blue color. And I wouldn’t pan the IRs if you’re wanting to get closer to the tones in the videos you sent me

Brian is famous for turning the Bass, Treble, and High cut all the way down to zero on the Normal channel of an AC30. So if you’re using the Top Boost version with default settings (all EQ knobs at noon), then your tone will be much brighter than what he uses. So try the non-Top Boost model and tweak your Treble Booster tone knob to dial in the top end you want to hear.

I hope this helps.

Try the NON-Top Boost AC30 model and maybe switch your H30 IR to something warmer than a Cap-Edge capture like the 1-5 options. The videos you sent me had all of his amps mic’ing the H30, so try using one of those as your primary IR and blend in the Blue a bit lower to emulate the mic primarily picking up the H30 with some underlying Blue color. And I wouldn’t pan the IRs if you’re wanting to get closer to the tones in the videos you sent me

Brian is famous for turning the Bass, Treble, and High cut all the way down to zero on the Normal channel of an AC30. So if you’re using the Top Boost version with default settings (all EQ knobs at noon), then your tone will be much brighter than what he uses. So try the non-Top Boost model and tweak your Treble Booster tone knob to dial in the top end you want to hear.

I hope this helps.
Will give it a go

Cheers

Do you have some tonal references you’re going for? And how low are you tuned? Off the top of my head, I’d look at the 5153, Orange 4x12, Bogner 4x12, and the Friedman 4x12, but learning more about what you’re after will help me to give you a better recommendation.
Thanks for taking the time to write.

I’ve been super impressed with Devin Townsend’s guitar tones he gets with low tunings: open C/B. Of course it gets complicated with going that low: pickups, intonation, string tension, all come into play. So I don’t believe it is just a matter of IR, but it’d be nice to play through some IRs that convey that well.

Sample clip:

Thanks for taking the time to write.

I’ve been super impressed with Devin Townsend’s guitar tones he gets with low tunings: open C/B. Of course it gets complicated with going that low: pickups, intonation, string tension, all come into play. So I don’t believe it is just a matter of IR, but it’d be nice to play through some IRs that convey that well.

Sample clip:

I just played around with this using my baritone and think you’ll like the Orange 4x12. It’s tough to isolate the guitar in the mix, but I really liked blending a Mesa OS V2 57 with an ORNG 58 to get the throaty midrange and more edge on the pick attack. When you’re tuning that low, single mics are your best friend, so I’d try those and see if that gets you where you want to be. :)

I have a new FM3 landing Fri. I know it comes packed with good IRs, but as I learn the ropes, I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of auditioning IRS. So I’m going to buy two York Audio packs and just run with those for starters. One for gain, one for clean. I like Fenderish cleans, so thinking the DXVB Deluxe Verb pack there. I love Marshall gain, so for a good all around York Marshall pack, would you go with the M25, M20, or Blackjack pack? Thx.

I have a new FM3 landing Fri. I know it comes packed with good IRs, but as I learn the ropes, I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of auditioning IRS. So I’m going to buy two York Audio packs and just run with those for starters. One for gain, one for clean. I like Fenderish cleans, so thinking the DXVB Deluxe Verb pack there. I love Marshall gain, so for a good all around York Marshall pack, would you go with the M25, M20, or Blackjack pack? Thx.
I have an FM3 as well. Personally I like the M25 the best, followed by the Blackjack. M25 sounds insanely good with a lot of amps I’ve tried so far in the FM3. It is even great with some of the cleaner amps. Congrats on the FM, this is my first fractal product and i can say it’s the best tones I’ve ever gotten.

Round 1: MES 212 V30-Limited, FDMN 412 M25-V30, & VX30 212 BLUE
Round 2: MTCH 212 ESD-V2, MES 412 OS-V2, & ZILA 212
Round 3: Everything else!

I think the Deluxe Reverb is a good choice for classic Fender tones. For the Marshall thing, I personally like the MRSH M25 for classic Greenback tones, the 5153 for something a little woodier and warmer, and the Blackjack for something with more mids. They all have their own personalities, but you can't go wrong with any of those. You'll have to let me know what you end up with and let me know if I can help you in any way.

Noble aspirations. I think we all started by just wanting a couple ;) hope you enjoy your FM3 and whatever packs you end up from York Audio!

Hey Justin
hope all is well , how is the York custom 212 coming along do you think we may see a release this month
now that FM3 had the Ultrares option i am stoked for the M65s

Back
Top Bottom