IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Stupid question that might have been answered and I missed it. If I already bought your M25 and Bogna cabs would I be gaining anything other than your take on the best way to combine the 2? I realize with this latest release both speakers are in the same cab at the same time, but is it very different than blending those to packs?
Thanks!

@warlockII I copied this from a response I made on TGP, but the short answer is that you can’t get Friedman tones with the Bogner and M25 packs, and you can’t get Bogner and M25 tones from the Friedman pack.

—From TGP—
That's a great question. Both the Greenbacks and the V30s in the Friedman pack have different specs than anything else I've shot, so their basic tonality is different from that alone. For instance, all of the V30 cabs on my site (except the Zilla) use English made 70w V30s which have different low and high frequency peaks compared to the modern 60w V30s that come stock in the Friedman cabs. A UK 70w V30 tends to have deeper lows and a higher, more airy, top end resonance peak vs the 60w V30 which is tighter in the low end and has more of an upper mid/high frequency peak which gives it more pick attack, but loses some of that top end air.

The Greenback in this cab is similar. Since it's located on the top row, it has a tighter low end and more prominent upper midrange compared to my MRSH M25 and M20 packs along with less sizzle, but still enough sizzle to bring energy to your tone. Both speakers were so drastically different from anything else I've shot that I literally shot it three times to see if my ears were playing tricks on me, but I got the same results each time and it was just getting used to the new speaker specs and the tonality of the Friedman cab. I like that it's different from my other stuff because a different cab SHOULD sound different... Plus, there's a lot of inner-speaker play where I could hear elements of the V30 while shooting the M25 and elements of the M25 in the V30 depending on where I placed the mic, so it's cool that each speaker carries some additional color from its counterpart.

Stupid question that might have been answered and I missed it. If I already bought your M25 and Bogna cabs would I be gaining anything other than your take on the best way to combine the 2? I realize with this latest release both speakers are in the same cab at the same time, but is it very different than blending those to packs?
Thanks!

I have the York Bogna and both M25/M20 York packs and have been mixing the V30 and Greenbacks from those cab packs. But the Friedman cabs are very unique as what has been shared. I absolutely love the tone which is definitely different from mixes of the other packs. In my opinion, it is well worth it to grab the FDMN pack if you like a V30/GB combo. It's a totally different cabinet as well as different speakers that offer it's unique flavor. I've been waiting for this blend pack and it's awesome. I am grateful it was released as a dual, blended pack for the same price. Can't beat that...

Thanks again Justin!

@warlockII I copied this from a response I made on TGP, but the short answer is that you can’t get Friedman tones with the Bogner and M25 packs, and you can’t get Bogner and M25 tones from the Friedman pack.

—From TGP—
That's a great question. Both the Greenbacks and the V30s in the Friedman pack have different specs than anything else I've shot, so their basic tonality is different from that alone. For instance, all of the V30 cabs on my site (except the Zilla) use English made 70w V30s which have different low and high frequency peaks compared to the modern 60w V30s that come stock in the Friedman cabs. A UK 70w V30 tends to have deeper lows and a higher, more airy, top end resonance peak vs the 60w V30 which is tighter in the low end and has more of an upper mid/high frequency peak which gives it more pick attack, but loses some of that top end air.

The Greenback in this cab is similar. Since it's located on the top row, it has a tighter low end and more prominent upper midrange compared to my MRSH M25 and M20 packs along with less sizzle, but still enough sizzle to bring energy to your tone. Both speakers were so drastically different from anything else I've shot that I literally shot it three times to see if my ears were playing tricks on me, but I got the same results each time and it was just getting used to the new speaker specs and the tonality of the Friedman cab. I like that it's different from my other stuff because a different cab SHOULD sound different... Plus, there's a lot of inner-speaker play where I could hear elements of the V30 while shooting the M25 and elements of the M25 in the V30 depending on where I placed the mic, so it's cool that each speaker carries some additional color from its counterpart.

I'm glad I'd asked a question that was probably on the minds of some others as well!

As I mentioned on TGP as well, I'm sure the cabinet construction as well as speaker interaction and acoustic 'spillover' between the V30s and G12Ms must make a significant difference in how even the individual speaker captures sound on this Friedman cab, compared to V30 or G12M captures from other cabs, especially ones loaded with four of the same speaker.

Whenever you have the time though, it'd be great to hear some comparison clips of the V30 and G12M-25 captures from this cab compared to the same speakers in some of your other cab packs. Not that it would influence my dead set decision to buy this as soon as I'm at my computer again this weekend, but just for academic/nerd interest.

@York Audio around the 6:39 in the first video ... could you kindly try to dial that tone with your amazing IRS?
I loaded some
Following your advices but did not manage to get it like that.
That’s the best plexi tone I ever heard
Cheers in advance
Justin, I’ve recently quite into Marshall’s and have your 3 packs
The other day having a chat with my mate @camilovelandiamusic of how amazing your IR sound we shared a couple of videos of a dude as we both were so impressed with this Plexi tone

In my opinion is the perfect Marshall with a Les Paul - I need that tone ! B
This could be a preset challenge if you or anyone following this topic want to take it... the perfect Plexi 😎
And if I can abuse and make it a double challenge the perfect JTM

Look forward to hearing back from you @York Audio and guys

@York Audio I'm just curious. I assume that new speakers as compared to older broken in speakers plays just as much a part in IR creation as it does in the real world, no?
The Friedman cab, or any of your cab packs for that matter, do you usually end up shooting nicely broken in speakers or brand new specimens. Obviously any of the more vintage speakers would be broken in from years of playing on them, but I assume the Freidman cab was using brand new speakers? if so do you feel the IR's would have sounded drastically different if the speakers had some years on them?

Here’s what I’m running of the FDMN pack:
M25 160-2 + V30 R121-04 @ -1.6 + V30 Room @ -18.05

I dig it.

My recipe has since been updated. M25 57m-05 is a great capture on its own, but it mixed really well with my existing combo of M25 160-2 + V30 R121-04 @ -1.6 + V30 Room @ -18.05. I ran is at 0dB, same as the 160.

@York Audio around the 6:39 in the first video ... could you kindly try to dial that tone with your amazing IRS?
I loaded some
Following your advices but did not manage to get it like that.
That’s the best plexi tone I ever heard
Cheers in advance
Here you go (attached at the bottom). Try this with MRSH 412 M25 U47-1 in Cab slot 1 and MRSH M25 ROOM 1 in Cab slot 2. I also liked this preset with Mix 03 for a slightly darker take on that tone. Just tweak it for your hands and your guitar, but it was reeeeeaaaally close over here with my stuff.

@York Audio I'm just curious. I assume that new speakers as compared to older broken in speakers plays just as much a part in IR creation as it does in the real world, no?
The Friedman cab, or any of your cab packs for that matter, do you usually end up shooting nicely broken in speakers or brand new specimens. Obviously any of the more vintage speakers would be broken in from years of playing on them, but I assume the Freidman cab was using brand new speakers? if so do you feel the IR's would have sounded drastically different if the speakers had some years on them?
It's all over the map, but I personally don't like shooting brand new speakers. I go through a special process whenever I get something new. You wouldn't believe the Friedman's initial test shots compared to where it is now. It's like a completely different cab. I do a LOT of stuff to get cabs where I need them to sit before I'll give them the official shoot. Having said that, sometimes a new speaker will sound good after just a few hours on it, but I don't find that to be the case very often.

Yeah, that post got me really excited!

Attachments

• YA Plexi - MRSH M25.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 75
Here you go (attached at the bottom). Try this with MRSH 412 M25 U47-1 in Cab slot 1 and MRSH M25 ROOM 1 in Cab slot 2. I also liked this preset with Mix 03 for a slightly darker take on that tone. Just tweak it for your hands and your guitar, but it was reeeeeaaaally close over here with my stuff.

It's all over the map, but I personally don't like shooting brand new speakers. I go through a special process whenever I get something new. You wouldn't believe the Friedman's initial test shots compared to where it is now. It's like a completely different cab. I do a LOT of stuff to get cabs where I need them to sit before I'll give them the official shoot. Having said that, sometimes a new speaker will sound good after just a few hours on it, but I don't find that to be the case very often.

Yeah, that post got me really excited!
Finally tried it today on 13.02 despite the issues the firmware pop say it has and the tone is amazing
Spot on!!
Thanks for taking the time and recommend me the right IRs I really love that tone!

This FDMN pack sounds so good Justin!!! Absolutely killer on 5150 style amps for heavy tones!!! Even more so than some of the Mesa Packs. Such a versatile IR pack. Really looking forward to all that comes next even if my wallet doesn’t like me haha

This FDMN pack sounds so good Justin!!! Absolutely killer on 5150 style amps for heavy tones!!! Even more so than some of the Mesa Packs. Such a versatile IR pack. Really looking forward to all that comes next even if my wallet doesn’t like me haha
Thank you so much for saying that! I’m really liking it too and couldn’t agree more about playing a 5150 style amp through it. The PVH Block and 5153 50w Blue kill me with the Precision Drive in front of it.

Dave Friedman made comment on that post about use of trademark @York Audio
Dave reached out to me about it and couldn’t have been nicer or more understanding. I told him the badge was too sexy and I apologized for getting carried away. He asked me to use just the “FRIE,” so I took more pictures, showed him the updated version for approval, and now the site is updated. My respect for that guy went up even more after all of that.

Thank you so much for saying that! I’m really liking it too and couldn’t agree more about playing a 5150 style amp through it. The PVH Block and 5153 50w Blue kill me with the Precision Drive in front of it.

Dave reached out to me about it and couldn’t have been nicer or more understanding. I told him the badge was too sexy and I apologized for getting carried away. He asked me to use just the “FRIE,” so I took more pictures, showed him the updated version for approval, and now the site is updated. My respect for that guy went up even more after all of that.
Cool... Your IR would sound great through his Friedman FR speaker 😉

He allows Fractal to use his name

The key word there is allows. Just because he has a deal with one company doesn't mean he can't have issues with others using his trademarks. Especially if they didn't get permission first. In fact, legally I believe he has to protect them or he risks losing them.

Luckily it looks like everything got sorted out.

Awesome! I wasn't having a dig or anything, I just noticed that he commented on Mr Stevens Facebook post. Love your IR's by the way.

Awesome! I wasn't having a dig or anything, I just noticed that he commented on Mr Stevens Facebook post. Love your IR's by the way.
Oh I know you weren’t having a dig. :) I appreciate that you were making me aware and I just wanted you to know that Dave and I sorted it out and are in a good spot. He said I do “great stuff,” so that was a big encouragement coming from him. And I’m glad you like the IRs! Thanks for sharing.

Cool... Your IR would sound great through his Friedman FR speaker 😉
I wish I knew someone who had one of FR cabs. I’d love to check it out. I still need a good FRFR cab and thought about that or grabbing a Celestion F12-X200.

Back
Top Bottom