IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
It's finally here! I'm so excited to announce that the York Audio MRSH 412 M25 Cab Pack based on a 1976 Marshall "Checkerboard" 4x12 loaded with U.K. made 25w Greenbacks is now available at www.yorkaudio.co for your Brit-flavored rocking pleasure.

Here's a raw isolated guitar clip using Mix 14 with the Solo 100 Lead model.

This one has taken me longer than any other Cab Pack I've done to date, but it's been well worth the time I've invested in it. This bad boy contains 14 mics, 18 multi-mic mixes, and 124 single mic shots for an incredible array of tasty tones that cater to both vintage and modern crowds. I can't wait to hear what you guys do with this pack!

This one really speaks. Lovely balance of cut and fuzz. Snarly but articulate.

It's finally here! I'm so excited to announce that the York Audio MRSH 412 M25 Cab Pack based on a 1976 Marshall "Checkerboard" 4x12 loaded with U.K. made 25w Greenbacks is now available at www.yorkaudio.co for your Brit-flavored rocking pleasure.

Here's a raw isolated guitar clip using Mix 14 with the Solo 100 Lead model.

This one has taken me longer than any other Cab Pack I've done to date, but it's been well worth the time I've invested in it. This bad boy contains 14 mics, 18 multi-mic mixes, and 124 single mic shots for an incredible array of tasty tones that cater to both vintage and modern crowds. I can't wait to hear what you guys do with this pack!

love it, is that just the Axe Slo ?

I made a quick & dirty comparison of the three YA MRSH-based IR packs. The riff isn't anything special, but hopefully it helps highlight the difference between the three offering to helps people decide which one (or ones) they want.

The order is M20 Mix 01, BLK Mix 01, M25 Mix 01 (all are 57+121). I'm honestly happy with all of these sounds and find all of them to be completely usable.

Obligatory, I am in no way associated with York Audio. I bought these packs with my own money.

Sounds fantastic! Excellent work. The pack has tons of flexibility with all the included mic captures. Was this the cab that you were working on that had 2 speakers? Could there be another release coming with the same cab but different speaker loaded for some sweet blends?

Picking it up to sit beside my York M20 folder! 👍

Gary

Sounds fantastic! Excellent work. The pack has tons of flexibility with all the included mic captures. Was this the cab that you were working on that had 2 speakers? Could there be another release coming with the same cab but different speaker loaded for some sweet blends?

Picking it up to sit beside my York M20 folder! 👍

Gary
I think I put four or five different speakers in that cab along with the Greenback. Some were great and some kinda sucked. I thought about doing a combo pack, but the Greenback sounded fantastic on its own so I wanted to spend more time focussing on nailing that speaker.

I found some cool combinations in the process that I have loaded in another cab, so the experimenting paid off. If I do a combo pack, I’ll probably have to take the mic count way down. It takes a lot of time and a lot of work to make these (the way I do it), and I really want to honor each speaker with the right cab. That old Marshall sounds great though, so I’m sure I’ll shoot more speakers in that one at some point.

I think I put four or five different speakers in that cab along with the Greenback. Some were great and some kinda sucked. I thought about doing a combo pack, but the Greenback sounded fantastic on its own so I wanted to spend more time focussing on nailing that speaker.

I found some cool combinations in the process that I have loaded in another cab, so the experimenting paid off. If I do a combo pack, I’ll probably have to take the mic count way down. It takes a lot of time and a lot of work to make these (the way I do it), and I really want to honor each speaker with the right cab. That old Marshall sounds great though, so I’m sure I’ll shoot more speakers in that one at some point.

Is the cab used for the new M25 pack the same 1976 4x12 Checkerboard cab you used for the Heritage M20 speaker pack?

Also, I think this has been asked a couple of times before, but what year are the speakers in the new M25 pack from?

Is the cab used for the new M25 pack the same 1976 4x12 Checkerboard cab you used for the Heritage M20 speaker pack?

Also, I think this has been asked a couple of times before, but what year are the speakers in the new M25 pack from?
Yes, the new M25 pack was shot with the ‘76 Marshall cab. The speakers were from my 2017 1960BX. The speakers sounded great (better than my 20 year old Greenbacks), but the cabinet didn’t have much life to it. Putting those speakers in the older cabinet made a HUGE difference!

Cool thanks for the info. Any chance you tried a T75 and V30 or that M25 with a V30 or Creamback? Those could yield a good combo in that Marshall cab. Right now I am blending the M20 with the V30 in the Bogna pack and it sounds great! I need to try the M25 next...I think the blends may be even better if the speakers are shot from the same cab. What do you think?

Cool thanks for the info. Any chance you tried a T75 and V30 or that M25 with a V30 or Creamback? Those could yield a good combo in that Marshall cab. Right now I am blending the M20 with the V30 in the Bogna pack and it sounds great! I need to try the M25 next...I think the blends may be even better if the speakers are shot from the same cab. What do you think?
I tried the M25 with an M65 Creamback in that cab and it was glorious! I much prefer the M65 Creamback over the H75, but that’s just my personal preference. I recently acquired a new (10 year old) cab that I loaded with a V30/M65 combo and it sounds great in the room. I haven’t put it under the microphone yet, but I’ve been doing this long enough to hear a cab in the room and know if the IRs will translate.

I also have a 20 year old Marshall 4x12 with T75’s and may try a speaker blend in that one too. The M25 or M65 might be a good fit for that one.

I have countless GB IR-libraries, but this new M25-pack finally nails the GB-sound I´ve always had in my head.
Amazing!
One question though: Is it only me or is the Mix1-IR significantly louder than the others?

I have countless GB IR-libraries, but this new M25-pack finally nails the GB-sound I´ve always had in my head.
Amazing!
One question though: Is it only me or is the Mix1-IR significantly louder than the others?
I couldn't agree with you more. I always thought I just didn't like Greenbacks based on IR libraries I've tried, but this one finally made me see the light. It's such a cool speaker! I guess I thought they were mostly used for classic Marshall tones, but I've been able to get some beautiful cleans and massive heavy tones with it. I like all of my babies, but this one moved to the top of the list for me, personally.

As far as Mix 01 being louder, it's about perceived volume. All of my IRs are normalized to a certain peak level, so perceived loudness is the result of the frequency response of the IR. That Mix has less 121 than I typically use for a 57-121 blend, so having less low end information makes it appear to be louder even though it hits at the same level as all of the other IRs. Think of it this way, if you're mixing a session in your DAW with a limiter at the end and you have too much low end information, it'll sound quieter than commercial recordings even though it's hitting at the same peak level. If you high pass your low end before the limiter, your mix will sound much louder even though it peaks at the same level as the non-high passed version. When I listen to the Mixes, my ears just hear a difference in frequency response rather than differences in volume.

As far as Mix 01 being louder, it's about perceived volume. All of my IRs are normalized to a certain peak level, so perceived loudness is the result of the frequency response of the IR. That Mix has less 121 than I typically use for a 57-121 blend, so having less low end information makes it appear to be louder even though it hits at the same level as all of the other IRs. Think of it this way, if you're mixing a session in your DAW with a limiter at the end and you have too much low end information, it'll sound quieter than commercial recordings even though it's hitting at the same peak level. If you high pass your low end before the limiter, your mix will sound much louder even though it peaks at the same level as the non-high passed version. When I listen to the Mixes, my ears just hear a difference in frequency response rather than differences in volume.

Sorry, but I don´t think it´s just perceived volume.
The left track was recorded with the Mix1-IR, the right track with Mix2-IR, all at the same levels, of course.

Attachments

• Screenshot (558).png
    Screenshot (558).png
    83.5 KB · Views: 16
Sorry, but I don´t think it´s just perceived volume.
The left track was recorded with the Mix1-IR, the right track with Mix2-IR, all at the same levels, of course.
I just imported both of those files into a Pro Tools session and they both peak at -0.3dB. And I set up cab block channel A with Mix 01 and channel B with Mix 02 switching back and forth through a looper and the volume is the same, just the frequency response of Mix 01 is more forward sounding. I also recorded a riff using the looper with Mix 01 and Mix 02 without changing amp controls so the performance and the amp's output would be identical while only changing the IR and they both peak at the same level. So if you're seeing a volume difference, it's probably due to variation in the performance. A player's picking technique on two passes could do that. Using two different guitars could do that. Using two different amps could do that too. I don't have enough information on your situation to pinpoint what the variable might be, but if you like the performances you made, a simple volume boost or cut is all you need. :)

I just imported both of those files into a Pro Tools session and they both peak at -0.3dB. And I set up cab block channel A with Mix 01 and channel B with Mix 02 switching back and forth through a looper and the volume is the same, just the frequency response of Mix 01 is more forward sounding. I also recorded a riff using the looper with Mix 01 and Mix 02 without changing amp controls so the performance and the amp's output would be identical while only changing the IR and they both peak at the same level. So if you're seeing a volume difference, it's probably due to variation in the performance. A player's picking technique on two passes could do that. Using two different guitars could do that. Using two different amps could do that too. I don't have enough information on your situation to pinpoint what the variable might be, but if you like the performances you made, a simple volume boost or cut is all you need. :)

Hey, don´t put down my technique! ;)
I´m happy I´ve found the reason for the volume difference.
Whenever I check out new IRs I put them into an IR-loader in my DAW.
For some reason, when I use Lancaster Audio´s Pulse, there is that volume difference (which I´ve never experienced before), while on Presonus´ Open AIR everything is fine.
So, it´s down to Pulse and not your files.
Sorry for taking some attention away from your great IR-pack and thank you for your quick help.
I appreciate that!
Now back to enjoying your IRs.

I tried the M25 with an M65 Creamback in that cab and it was glorious! I much prefer the M65 Creamback over the H75, but that’s just my personal preference. I recently acquired a new (10 year old) cab that I loaded with a V30/M65 combo and it sounds great in the room. I haven’t put it under the microphone yet, but I’ve been doing this long enough to hear a cab in the room and know if the IRs will translate.

I also have a 20 year old Marshall 4x12 with T75’s and may try a speaker blend in that one too. The M25 or M65 might be a good fit for that one.

Awesome! Can't wait! 2020 sounds like a bunch of new York Audio releases could be coming and the M25 was just the start! 👍

Hey Justin ...... any chance on getting an AC20 Deluxe IR pack in the near future? Preferably with an Alnico Gold or Blue?

Back
Top Bottom