IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Finally had time to try this pack out and have to say it is my favorite to date. The fact we started with my favorite cab/speaker combo obviously helped, but is very interesting how the different mics sound.

Finally had time to try this pack out and have to say it is my favorite to date. The fact we started with my favorite cab/speaker combo obviously helped, but is very interesting how the different mics sound.
And you nailed it on the head. Mics are like the “ear” that hears the cab. And just like human ears, they’re all different and hear things differently, so different mics SHOULD sound different. They have different frequency response ranges, different peaks and cuts. I’ve had mics that sound incredible on some cabs that sound terrible on other cabs. That’s why the mic selection is different for each cab I shoot.

I’m really glad that you’re connecting with the Bogna. That’s my favorite one as well at the moment. The V30’s in that cab are different from any other ones I’ve shot, and part of me wants to try them in other cabs too.

And you nailed it on the head. Mics are like the “ear” that hears the cab. And just like human ears, they’re all different and hear things differently, so different mics SHOULD sound different. They have different frequency response ranges, different peaks and cuts. I’ve had mics that sound incredible on some cabs that sound terrible on other cabs. That’s why the mic selection is different for each cab I shoot.

I’m really glad that you’re connecting with the Bogna. That’s my favorite one as well at the moment. The V30’s in that cab are different from any other ones I’ve shot, and part of me wants to try them in other cabs too.

I would be interested in other speakers within this cab as well.

York Audio proudly presents the MRSH 412 Blackjack Cab Pack based on a vintage Marshall "Checkerboard" 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12H30 "Blackback" speakers from 1976. The tone is pure Marshall with a warm low end, punchy midrange, and a top end that cuts without being harsh.

Here's a clip I made using the Brit 800 model with the YA MRSH 412 BLK Mix 05 IR and my trusty Les Paul.

This pack can be found here: https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mrsh-412-blackjack

It includes my signature "ear-tuned" captures with thirteen multi-mic mixes for an easy plug 'n play experience. Along with my staple mics, I've also included captures made with a vintage Neumann FET 47 condenser mic which sounds absolutely superb with this cab.

Special thanks to everyone who participated in my Cab Pack poll. I hope you enjoy "something Marshally."

-Justin

Here's the preset I used for this clip that I made with the latest 11.02 beta firmware. Scene 2 is the JCM 800. Use the BLK Mix 05 IR and you're set!

Attachments

• YA MRSH Blackjack Clip.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
York Audio proudly presents the MRSH 412 Blackjack Cab Pack based on a vintage Marshall "Checkerboard" 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12H30 "Blackback" speakers from 1976. The tone is pure Marshall with a warm low end, punchy midrange, and a top end that cuts without being harsh.

Here's a clip I made using the Brit 800 model with the YA MRSH 412 BLK Mix 05 IR and my trusty Les Paul.

This pack can be found here: https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mrsh-412-blackjack

It includes my signature "ear-tuned" captures with thirteen multi-mic mixes for an easy plug 'n play experience. Along with my staple mics, I've also included captures made with a vintage Neumann FET 47 condenser mic which sounds absolutely superb with this cab.

Special thanks to everyone who participated in my Cab Pack poll. I hope you enjoy "something Marshally."

-Justin

Dang it Justin just take my money. 😂

Cheers Justin - how does this compare to the other Marshall cab / what are the key differences?
The Blackback H30 and Greenback M20 almost feel like opposites to me. The H30 has a more present gritty midrange (think AC/DC or Tool) where the the M20 feels a little scooped (think Van Halen). The H30 has a warmer vintage top end while maintaining clarity where the M20 has a lot of modern energy and sizzle. The low end is more balanced on the H30 and works easily with more amps where the M20 has HUGE low end that favors bass-shy amps like a Plexi, but also sounds great when you turn the bass down or edge up the low cut in the cab block when using more modern bass-heavy amps.

They’re both great speakers with very different voices, but at the moment, I can’t get away from the Blackback with the JCM 800, SLO 100, and Friedman HBE 2018.

The Blackback H30 and Greenback M20 almost feel like opposites to me. The H30 has a more present gritty midrange (think AC/DC or Tool) where the the M20 feels a little scooped (think Van Halen). The H30 has a warmer vintage top end while maintaining clarity where the M20 has a lot of modern energy and sizzle. The low end is more balanced on the H30 and works easily with more amps where the M20 has HUGE low end that favors bass-shy amps like a Plexi, but also sounds great when you turn the bass down or edge up the low cut in the cab block when using more modern bass-heavy amps.

They’re both great speakers with very different voices, but at the moment, I can’t get away from the Blackback with the JCM 800, SLO 100, and Friedman HBE 2018.

@York Audio, dude you are killing me (in a good way!!) with these IRs. :)
I love your other packs so much (especially the Bogna and the Mesa) that I need this one too!
Immediate purchase! Can't wait to see and hear what's in store for 2020! (My wallet doesn't though! lol)

I've been digging the Friedman HBE 2018 a lot lately with some Bogna mix! As well as the SLO 100 being my all time favorite amp.
May I ask, the usual I ask (lol) : , which mixes / mic combo of the Blackback you dig with the listed amps above!

Also, did you experiment at all with a mix of the M20 with the H30? Might provide interesting results since they are "opposites"!

Justin, have you posted the patches you used to demo your various IRs anywhere? Would be interested to see what's under the hood ;)
+ 1

That JCM 800 is the JCM sound I have in my head. In fact I initially thought it was a Plexi! (Maybe I need to check my ears? lol)
It has that Marshall Hard Rock sound that I have in my head. Very Jake E Lee (Badlands era).

Last edited:
I just added the Blackjack preset to my clip's post (#45). It has 8 amps in it that I think work really well with this pack.

❤❤❤
You're the best man!

Can't say enough thank you for your work.
(And perhaps thanks to your parents or god? For your ears!)

Here's the preset I used for this clip that I made with the latest 11.02 beta firmware. Scene 2 is the JCM 800. Use the BLK Mix 05 IR and you're set!

Not sure why but when I import this preset into Manage Presets and save it, it doesn't show up in my presets.

Back
Top Bottom