IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Hi Justin,
may I ask, did you give the Diezel cab a spin?
If so, what was your first impression?
I only played it for a few minutes so I could take some test shots to compare the sound of a “new” cab vs the cab after it’s been broken in. It’s definitely on the tighter side with a unique sound. It’ll be cool to hear what happens after I’m finished prepping it.

Hi Justin,
may I ask, did you give the Diezel cab a spin?
If so, what was your first impression?
Just a quick update. I’m simultaneously breaking in two cabs at the moment. One of them is the K100 Diezel. I shot some test IRs fresh out of the box, didn’t touch my mic pre settings, have been putting it through some intense break in methods, and just shot new test IRs in the exact same positions on two speakers. After breaking it in a bit, the top end is noticeably smoother and the low end is a bit fuller. I think this cab is gonna be pretty sweet after it’s had more time to settle.

Just a quick update. I’m simultaneously breaking in two cabs at the moment. One of them is the K100 Diezel. I shot some test IRs fresh out of the box, didn’t touch my mic pre settings, have been putting it through some intense break in methods, and just shot new test IRs in the exact same positions on two speakers. After breaking it in a bit, the top end is noticeably smoother and the low end is a bit fuller. I think this cab is gonna be pretty sweet after it’s had more time to settle.
Thanks for the info, Justin!

On that note, in case anyone might be interested, I learned quite a bit about speakers watching a video with one of the developers for Jensen speakers:

Looking forward to your future cabs, Justin
:)

Chris

So can we pre-buy the Diezel cab and get those IR’s as an advance?🤣

I’m mostly kidding but the Herbert has become my new main amp in the FM9 lately.

What in your existing line up do you think compliments the Herbert well for modern but not Djent or clank tones? Like warm but with a bite?

Cool. What's the 2nd cab and what's it loaded with? Teaser teaser

So can we pre-buy the Diezel cab and get those IR’s as an advance?🤣

I’m mostly kidding but the Herbert has become my new main amp in the FM9 lately.

What in your existing line up do you think compliments the Herbert well for modern but not Djent or clank tones? Like warm but with a bite?
Haha! You wouldn’t want the test shots. They’re just to help me learn what the cab does. I wouldn’t use them for playing. As far as a pack for the Herbert goes, I’d say either the MRSH 412 MV30 Dual or the MES 412 OS-V2 would be a good option for something warm with a little pleasant bite.

Cool. What's the 2nd cab and what's it loaded with? Teaser teaser
If you’re pumped for a Diezel, I don’t think you’ll be interested in the second cab. ;) Not to worry though, I recently got four high gain cabs that you’re gonna dig.

After receiving a number of requests for the clip's preset, here it is. Each scene has its own Amp and Cab channels, so once you've imported the IRs into your unit, just select the specified IR for each Cab channel from your user slots.

Scene 1: Tele bridge - Mix 03
Scene 2: Strat position 4 - Mix EDGY
Scene 3: Use a textured pick or a coin - Mix BMAY
Scene 4: Strat neck - Mix 12

Yup. Even his signature AC30 has all of those knobs removed, so it's just a volume knob, his signature, and a power switch.
I have to ask, I just downloaded this preset; this may be an obvious question, but what brought you to use the SDD Preamp in the preset? I notice without it that the Vox has more bark and upper midrange honk, but with it on, it really makes the amp more chimey and less honkey sounding. I also noticed that you cut the upper mids in the advanced setting all the way. What brought you to these conclusions when dialing this sound in? I would've never thought to do something like that haha but it works really great and actually gets closer to what I imagine chimey Vox amps to sound like, and would've never figured that out. I probably would've jumped to another IR/speaker completely for that sound.

I have to ask, I just downloaded this preset; this may be an obvious question, but what brought you to use the SDD Preamp in the preset? I notice without it that the Vox has more bark and upper midrange honk, but with it on, it really makes the amp more chimey and less honkey sounding. I also noticed that you cut the upper mids in the advanced setting all the way. What brought you to these conclusions when dialing this sound in? I would've never thought to do something like that haha but it works really great and actually gets closer to what I imagine chimey Vox amps to sound like, and would've never figured that out. I probably would've jumped to another IR/speaker completely for that sound.
I like the SDD preamp with Vox tones just because it gives you a little “more” without completely changing your tone. That clip was made a long time ago, and I know Cliff has updated the drive and amp blocks since then, so any advanced parameter changes are probably from a firmware update. I don’t tend to use advanced parameters when making demo clips just so that things are as natural as possible. It ends up sounding better that way IMO.

Also, I’m glad you like the MRSH 412 MV30 pack. That’s one of my favorites.

I like the SDD preamp with Vox tones just because it gives you a little “more” without completely changing your tone. That clip was made a long time ago, and I know Cliff has updated the drive and amp blocks since then, so any advanced parameter changes are probably from a firmware update. I don’t tend to use advanced parameters when making demo clips just so that things are as natural as possible. It ends up sounding better that way IMO.

Also, I’m glad you like the MRSH 412 MV30 pack. That’s one of my favorites.
Thanks for the reply, Justin! That had crossed my mind about older firmwares maybe having different settings. That makes sense then!

Yeah, it's just like what's mentioned in the description; it kind of sits between a greenback and v30 almost. Super cool!!! Thanks for what you do! It definitely makes it easier for me to get tones much faster, so I thank the Lord for that!

Out of curiosity, what kind of studio monitors and headphones do you listen through and reference with?

Out of curiosity, what kind of studio monitors and headphones do you listen through and reference with?
I have a pair of ATC SCM25a Pro monitors that I use for pretty much everything. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of using headphones, but I like the Slate VSX if I have to use headphones because they’re pretty neutral. It comes with a plugin where you can turn them into virtual mixing rooms and stuff. I know some guys who love using the virtual rooms, but I just use them and normal headphones.

I like the Slate VSX if I have to use headphones because they’re pretty neutral. It comes with a plugin where you can turn them into virtual mixing rooms and stuff. I know some guys who love using the virtual rooms, but I just use them and normal headphones.
you mean, you use them without the plugin ?

Thanks man! And thank you for actually reading the manual!
hey @York Audio - I've been reading the manuals for the packs I have but can't see the recommended speaker curves etc.
Is this something you may update going forward as I think it is really useful.

FWIW I have the Bogna, Mrsh M25, DXVB and MES 212 v30 packs

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom