IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
The reason I'm asking about folders is because of this:

Make sure that when you unzip the file, you're not too deep into your folders. Windows puts a hard limit on how many characters you can have in the file path. I think the limit is 255 characters. If you exceed that, Windows pukes on it. If you have a lot of folders and files with long names, it's easy to exceed that limit.

The same amp and settings were used for each one (except I changed the impedance curves to match each cab).

Could you release this info? I have been doing the impedance curves by ear with some success, but I want to know what settings you use. I have a lot of your products, I use your DXVB, MRSH BLK, MRSH M20, Matchless, Vox 15 and 30 packs. You definitely have my favorite IR captures and I've tried over 8 brands, this would be the icing on the cake for me.

Thanks

Could you release this info? I have been doing the impedance curves by ear with some success, but I want to know what settings you use. I have a lot of your products, I use your DXVB, MRSH BLK, MRSH M20, Matchless, Vox 15 and 30 packs. You definitely have my favorite IR captures and I've tried over 8 brands, this would be the icing on the cake for me.

Thanks
Sure thing, and thanks for grabbing all of those packs! It means a lot! If you've got the Axe-Fx III and using Axe-Edit, go to the Amp Block's speaker page and you'll see "Speaker Imp. Curve" under the graph. You can click that box and choose the cabinet that matches the cab your IR is based on. If you're on an Axe-Fx II or AX8, send me a PM and I'll see how I can help you further. The impedance curve makes a big difference in how the amp feels, so it's really fun to play with.

Sure thing, and thanks for grabbing all of those packs! It means a lot! If you've got the Axe-Fx III and using Axe-Edit, go to the Amp Block's speaker page and you'll see "Speaker Imp. Curve" under the graph. You can click that box and choose the cabinet that matches the cab your IR is based on. If you're on an Axe-Fx II or AX8, send me a PM and I'll see how I can help you further. The impedance curve makes a big difference in how the amp feels, so it's really fun to play with.

Sorry I meant if you could post the settings you use for each of your IR packs? I know how to change the curve but I dont know what the proper settings are for your packs.

The defaults dont feel right in some cases like the Matchless which has a resonance at 61 hz how is that possible if both speakers have 75/85hz resonance?

Sorry I meant if you could post the settings you use for each of your IR packs? I know how to change the curve but I dont know what the proper settings are for your packs.

The defaults dont feel right in some cases like the Matchless which has a resonance at 61 hz how is that possible if both speakers have 75/85hz resonance?

99% of the time I use the impedance settings "as is" once I select the appropriate impedance curve for the cabinet. Fractal really nails it with the way they measure their curves. Matt came to my studio a while back and took several measurements of my cabs and it's really interesting how they do it and how it well it works. The speaker's resonant frequency and the cabinet's resonant frequency play together, and the combination is what makes all cabinets unique. That's why not all V30 cabs have the same low resonance frequency... the cabinet itself is a resonating box that imparts it's own tonal signature on the overall sound and feel. Different woods, wood quality, construction type, etc. all play a big role in how the cab sounds as a whole. This method isn't very scientific, but when I set a test tone at Fractal's low resonance frequency and tap the corresponding cabinet, the tones line up really well.

I'm sure it's possible to get more specific, but I just load these up and start rippin.

VX15 - 1x12 Class-A 15W
DXVB - 1x12 Deluxe Verb
MTCH - 2x12 Match Chief (Close enough to my actual cabinet that Cliff didn't think it was necessary to add to the list)
ZILA - 2x12 Godzilla (Taken from my actual Zilla Fatboy)
BGNR - 4x12 Euro (Taken from my actual Bogner Standard 4x12)
MES (OS) - 4x12 Recto Large
MES TRAD - 4x12 Recto Small (but I increase the high frequency resonance amount to 6 or 7)
MRSH M20 and Blackjack - These particular cabs aren't listed, so I'll try the 4x12 Basketweave, Greenback, and 5153 and see which feels the best
AMPG - 4x10 SV Bass

99% of the time I use the impedance settings "as is" once I select the appropriate impedance curve for the cabinet. Fractal really nails it with the way they measure their curves. Matt came to my studio a while back and took several measurements of my cabs and it's really interesting how they do it and how it well it works. The speaker's resonant frequency and the cabinet's resonant frequency play together, and the combination is what makes all cabinets unique. That's why not all V30 cabs have the same low resonance frequency... the cabinet itself is a resonating box that imparts it's own tonal signature on the overall sound and feel. Different woods, wood quality, construction type, etc. all play a big role in how the cab sounds as a whole. This method isn't very scientific, but when I set a test tone at Fractal's low resonance frequency and tap the corresponding cabinet, the tones line up really well.

I'm sure it's possible to get more specific, but I just load these up and start rippin.

VX15 - 1x12 Class-A 15W
DXVB - 1x12 Deluxe Verb
MTCH - 2x12 Match Chief (Close enough to my actual cabinet that Cliff didn't think it was necessary to add to the list)
ZILA - 2x12 Godzilla (Taken from my actual Zilla Fatboy)
BGNR - 4x12 Euro (Taken from my actual Bogner Standard 4x12)
MES (OS) - 4x12 Recto Large
MES TRAD - 4x12 Recto Small (but I increase the high frequency resonance amount to 6 or 7)
MRSH M20 and Blackjack - These particular cabs aren't listed, so I'll try the 4x12 Basketweave, Greenback, and 5153 and see which feels the best
AMPG - 4x10 SV Bass

Thank you so much for the lengthy response. It turns out I just wasn't understanding the low resonance in free air vs cab can actually be lower. Was able to clarify this true in another thread.

I will be using your suggestions now.

One final question are the G12H30 Blackbacks 55Hz or 75Hz model?

Thank you so much for the lengthy response. It turns out I just wasn't understanding the low resonance in free air vs cab can actually be lower. Was able to clarify this true in another thread.

I will be using your suggestions now.

One final question are the G12H30 Blackbacks 55Hz or 75Hz model?
Hahaha! No problem at all. :) The Blackback H30 speakers are the 75Hz model.

Woah, just loaded up the VX15 pack.. It's shocking how up front, clear, and pleasant these are! Didn't really know what to expect because demos never quite line up with personal use cases, but WOW

Pairing this with a lower gain Triple Crest preset and it's sweet!

I'm happy to announce the release of the York Audio MES 212 V30 Cab Pack available now at www.yorkaudio.co

Here's some information from the product page:

The York Audio MES 212 V30 Cab Pack is based on a Mesa™ horizontal “Rectifier” 2x12 cabinet loaded with English made 70 watt Celestion™ Vintage 30 speakers. The 2x12 design brings more punch and focus than its 4X12 big brothers for a unique flavor of the iconic Mesa™ cabinet line. The low end is deep and powerful, the midrange is balanced and complex, and the top end ranges from seamlessly smooth to biting aggression with tremendous note definition. Working well across all levels of gain and music styles, this cabinet is a Swiss Army knife that sounds great with any amp you pair it with.

To capture this cabinet, ten microphones were used along with York Audio’s signature “ear-tuned” technique for a diverse and usable array of tonal options. There are 79 single mic shots including multiple sweet spot, cap edge, and off-axis files along with 15 multi-mic Mixes for a total of 94 IRs in this Cab Pack.

Microphones used in this pack:

Shure™ SM57

Shure™ SM58

Shure™ SM7b

Sennheiser™ MD421

Sennheiser™ e906

Royer™ R-121

Beyerdynamic™ M160

Shure™ KSM313

AKG™ C414

Neumann™ FET 47 (vintage)

There is a full version and an absurdly cheap "demo version" on the site. As stated above, the full version includes 10 mics, 79 single mic shots, and 15 multi-mic Mixes for a total of 94 IRs, while the demo version comes with 5 mics, 18 single mic shots, and 5 multi-mic mixes for a total of 23 IRs. The demo version is a good way to wet your whistle, but the full version has some truly remarkable extra captures, mics, and Mixes that are well worth springing for the full version currently on introductory sale for $14.99.

Here's a quick clip I made with my Les Paul using the BE C45 that I matched to my DSL 100 and Mix 13 (found in the full version). I'm going to tweak the other amps in the patch and then I'll post it here too. I hope you guys have fun with this one. It's a very diverse cab.

Don't really need another Mesa ir pack, but I got the sample pack as I love the concept and would buy them all to have a look at.

Consider it a $1 vote to encourage more of these!
Cheers

@York Audio Please, don't think for a single second that I´m trying to insult your worth or undervaluing your amazing work.

But your recent mesa 212 release with demo and full versions has made me think about something....

I only ever use mic mixes (yours and all other developers for many many years).
Because in my mind I´m not paying for "a mesa 4x12 ir pack" I´m paying for YOUR EARS and taste capturing those tones and mixing those captures.
And all the packs I have bought from you have been because of your really great sounding demos in your website that (correct me if im wrong) are always of the mixes.
I personally think that if I ever have the need to go out of the "mixes/summary/selection/best of/whatever" folder to get the tone I´m looking for then there is an inherent problem with the IR pack.
And I end up literally deleting forever 98% of the IRs included on every IR pack I have ever bought in the last decade.

It would be great to have 2 tiers of IR packs:
Light/Lite packs: just your mixes/developer special recipe/Chef´s choice IRs
and
Advance/tweaker packs: with all the options of many individual mics for those who go "all the way" experimenting and like to have as many tonal options as humanly possible to make their own special homemade tones.

Thanks for your attention and I will reiterate than I really appreciate all the hard work behind every IR pack ;)

Last edited:
Justin I am loving all your new IR packs! I’ve basically switched completely to the Your IRs... I’ve found that since I have a lot of different sounds I’ve found that different packs work great for different amps. The Bogner, Zilla and new 2x12 Mesa work awesome on SLO and 5150 style amps. The 4x12 OS works great on the recto style amps and the 4x12 TRAD are absolutely stellar for the Mark series amps. Absolutely loving the VX, matchless and Deluxe verb packs for clean stuff too. Really looking forward to all the stuff you have coming. Keep up the great work!

MESA TRAD : 4x12 Recto Small ?

I’ve always thought that the corresponding curve was Recto Straight.

Do you know (and enlight me) what Small and Straight are standing for ?

Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom