IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
Hey guys,

@camilovelandiamusic did a couple of tweaks to my Morgan preset and @York Audio has been playing around his cab block and we have uploaded one of the mixes of his VOX 112 blue IR

What do you think? I am combining 4 scenes, clean, cranked, hot cranked and lead (FAT boost)

If you are curious this is how sounds with stock IRs and a pre some tweaks

Sounds more Vox-is than the real Vox to my ears and I really love the tone you get on Justin's IRs It's much more appreciable real life than the recording

The MES 212 V30 is great! I once owned the real 2x12 cab. Later I bought a few Mesa IR packs from different IR makers but was never really happy with them. It was not necessarily the sound, it was more the feel. This York Audio pack is different! It feels much more like my Mesa 2x12. But I have to admit that I used it with Marshall Amps! :openmouth: :grinning:

One question: Are the IRs made from only one of the speakers or from both? The manual says "Each shot was taken on various sweet spots on the speaker". Not that it would change anything, I'm just curious! :)

WARNING: LONG POST :oops:, copying/pasting from stuff I've previously posted on TGP, but I wanted to share my general experience with York Audio IRs so far.

Here goes my praise, it may read like an ad copy but I simply love these packs! :p

I've been using York Audio IRs exclusively now for a little while (but a lot of playing hours), starting with the $1 demo/quarantine pack, being blown away by those and progressively getting more. Basically everyone of those I tried is excellent!

After the first try of that "gateway drug" I've since gotten more, love each one of them and can't pick a favorite: they all have a place in my "toolbox" and a distinct personality.

I "only" have 4 packs but wanted to attempt to briefly describe and compare them (YA site's descriptions of each aren't as verbose, rightly so, since the sounds stand on their own merit).

-The Deluxe is deep and throaty while still retaining clarity. It's extremely neutral and perfect for jazz, country, pop, funk and blues. I'd say its sweet spot is from clean up to medium crunch.

-The Vox AC15 is forward-sounding and clear, nicely aggressive without being piercing. Its brightness works great for both jangly cleans and crunch tones as well, from country and pop to blues and rock, once again from clean to crunch with a cut-through-the-mix edge and lighter bass and low-mids compared to the Deluxe.

-The Matchless 2x12 is punchy and full, its mid-rich sound is present with no trace of harshness. It has a beautiful haziness around the notes and sounds right at home in many different styles, a chameleon in adaptability to various settings with its 2 different speakers. Less bright and in your face than the Vox, it's equally versatile and maybe more forgiving on crunchier mid-gain sounds due to its mellower and sweet high end.

-The Mesa 2x12, while still being able to adapt to clean sounds, shows its closed-back nature with a unique gutsy punch in comparison to the above (all open-backed). It shines with gain, it has the most thump and its deep, extended bass marries to liquid, present mids and clear highs. Rock rhythms and leads never sounded so good.

Each one is versatile and eminently usable with the whole gain spectrum, just as you could with its physical counterpart in a pinch.
Obviously if you want to get more specific and detailed, each cab is tailored to complement more different tones and styles, like the real ones would.

At the risk of sounding like a fan-boy, I have to say that every time I fire up my rig now I'm amazed by the sounds I'm getting out of it. My expectations are not only met, but surpassed by these cab packs.
All mixes are good: some brighter, some fuller, but all convincing and usable straight out of the gate. I didn't even bother to particularly change my existing presets (previously tweaked to oblivion): I just swapped in these IRs and was good to go, which is almost incredible to me!

In the past I've tried IRs from other makers and was never fully convinced: one day they were sounding good, the next day not so much. Different studio monitors, P.A. speakers or headphones gave dramatically varying results. I never felt sure about my choices. This has ended.
After a while I was even convinced enough to make the step and delete any other old IRs from other manufacturers I had on my drive, with no regrets.
After comparing them once in a while to be safe and sure, I just felt the YA packs are on a whole another level, at least for my taste and application.
For the time being, I'm totally satisfied and would whole-heartedly recommend these IRs over anything else I've heard from other vendors, not to bash on anyone else's choice/ears, simply sharing my own personal feelings about these.

I'm stoked each time that it simply sounds better than I've ever heard my rig do before. Auditory memory is such a weirdly volatile thing but so far the cab packs I've gotten just floor me, no matter the volume or reproduction system.
I can play loudly or at a conversational level: it sounds great! I can use whatever monitoring solution I have: it sounds great! I can record and listen back days later: it sounds great!
Pairing different mixes/microphones of the same cab on each stereo side yields great results with no phasing issues, a great sounding, dimensionally deep and rich sound-stage.
I can only guess that serious time, dedication, knowledge and experience went into creating these IRs.

Justin (the creator/producer/maker - whatever you want to call him) is a really nice and approachable guy as well. There's no bullsh*t, no weird personality or shtick, no act at all. You simply have great products, reasonably priced, simple soundcloud and youtube channels to hear these in action with no tricks, just plain good playing.

Over the years I have owned a lot of different real amps and cabinets, including actually some of these exact ones (Deluxe, Vox, Matchless and Mesa) plus many more (Marshall, VHT, Bogner, too many to mention...), so I am familiar with the sound and feel of "the real thing".
Having their distilled essence in a convenient, great sounding, consistent form, without relying on sound-men (or my poor engineering ability) to properly capture and reproduce those sounds is amazing.
Not having to break my back (it happened more than once, usually just prior to a gig or session) but still have great tones (better than what I was usually able to get miking up ) is a dream come true.
Happily this is not only the future, this is the present, and I love it: we've never had it so good before!

In a nutshell, these cabs rock! And are great for other styles too... :cool:

Thanks Justin for such great sounding products, I'm so elated!

Thank you all for the patience: sorry about the long post.

Take care, be safe and make some joyful noise, y'all! :)

Last edited:
In my days of amps and cabs, I normally gigged with a horizontal Mesa 212 cab and loved it. Just purchased your Mesa 212 and your pack is nothing less that great. Great sounding IRs! My first from York Audio. I will definitely be looking at more. I have my eye on the Mathless 212 and the Bogner 412 next.

It's definitely hard to pass up every new IR Justin decides to put out. Between his demos and those posted here, they all sound so great. My ears say "Give us more IRs!", while my wallet and IR library say "I think you're okay on IRs..." Thanks again for all your hard work, York Audio :)

If you guys like Queen here is something you can mess around.

I have the preset I use live with my band, historically I have been using cab B from the 2x12 pack and recently replaced by A as I really liked that mix.
I have used lately one of Justin's 1x12 IR in cab D, sounds more defined, misses amplitude but gets massive definition, I like it.

All is set to my FC6, if you don't use an external table booster activate drive block A.

Phaser is a clone of the Foxx so engages with the filter block simultaneously. Chorus I am trying to make it sound like the CE1. Note Brian always has effects on there is no dry sound hence I have the Chorus or the phaser always one.

Using the expander to wide up the tone but darks it up a bit

Pitch is created for Magic, Killer Queen, Seven seas of Rhye and bohemian Rhapsody

Delay has a main lead delay, Brighton rock 800/1600, and now I am here intro delay.

Finally I think I have a flat eQ boost to get more volume when I switch the pickups of my Red Special to out of phase.

I don't know how this will sound in a normal non Brian May guitar but in mine they sound supreme in all the cabs. It is really important that you OFF the input gate, you will have the elephant breathe that Brian always had and that noise but otherwise songs like Under Pressure where you achieve that sparkly clean rolling off your volume knob just don't work,

I have 2 scenes Mid gain and high gain and I mainly use mid gain one apart from modern songs such as SMGO or I want it all.

Look forward to hearing some feedback and comments and thanks @York Audio for your helps and tips

Rafa

Attachments

• Rafa Diaz - Magic Queen.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 07.54.34.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 07.54.34.png
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 07.55.06.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 07.55.06.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 07.55.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 07.55.13.png
    1 MB · Views: 16
The MES 212 V30 is great! I once owned the real 2x12 cab. Later I bought a few Mesa IR packs from different IR makers but was never really happy with them. It was not necessarily the sound, it was more the feel. This York Audio pack is different! It feels much more like my Mesa 2x12. But I have to admit that I used it with Marshall Amps! :openmouth: :grinning:

One question: Are the IRs made from only one of the speakers or from both? The manual says "Each shot was taken on various sweet spots on the speaker". Not that it would change anything, I'm just curious! :)
I'm so happy to hear that you're liking the Mesa 2x12! I normally gravitate towards Marshall style and Mesa Mark Series amps in general and find that the Mesa 2x12 works great for both of those. This was the cab I always brought to recording sessions because it "just works" with any amp I used with it, so there's definitely no shame in using Marshall amps with a Mesa cab.

If a cabinet has multiple speakers of the same type, I listen to all of them and select the best sounding speaker. This keeps the quality high and the file count lower to make navigating easier and more efficient. If a cab has two different speakers, like the Matchless or Zilla, then I'll shoot both of those.

It's definitely hard to pass up every new IR Justin decides to put out. Between his demos and those posted here, they all sound so great. My ears say "Give us more IRs!", while my wallet and IR library say "I think you're okay on IRs..." Thanks again for all your hard work, York Audio :)
You're too kind. Every cab is a different experience and pulls out different strengths in our amps and playing styles. They help us to find our "voice" much like a singer through different mics. My voice sounds good with a Neumann TLM 49, it sounds terrible through an SM7, and it really comes alive with a Telefunken U47. Our playing has a similar experience with different guitars, amps, and cabs. For me personally, I've dialed in great tones with all of these cabs, but my "voice" comes alive with the Mesa 2x12.

I think the same way you do. "Do I really NEED to shoot another V30 cab?" Then I throw some mics in front of it out of sheer curiosity. Sometimes the answer is no and I won't waste my time shooting something that isn't inspiring. Other times, I strum the first chord and think "WHOA! Where did that come from?!" and then the obsession begins all over again. Trust me, my wallet hurts too buying cabs, mics, amps, speakers, and other gear, but we're all in this together and I know this stuff brings joy to you guys. :)

Wow, that was fast! I updated the site just a few minutes ago, and yup, I’m doing a store-wide 25% off sale. I’ve had a lot of emails asking about a sale and thought this was a good time to do one. :) Putting everything on sale rather than having to use promo codes make life easier for all of us.
Think I'll buy a couple of packs, I've 3 already

So I've tried 1$ mesa 212 demo pack. It blew me away! Finally IRs with nice bright top end, rich mids and tight lows, where just every IR sounds great and You don't have to scroll through hundreds of them :) Instantly bought full Mesa 212 and Matchless packs, and I'm trying to hold my horses before buying some marshalls as well :cool: This was recorded with Cornford MK50h + Torpedo Captor, and MES 212 V30 MIX 01 IR. Sorry for not using Fractal for this one, but my XL+ sits in my band's rack, and I'm still waiting for FM3 arrival in EU :D

Thanks for the sale, Justin! I just picked up the
M20, I now own all of them except the Blackjack.
but I’m sure I’ll pick that one up too at some point. Lol I’m looking forward to some new cabs!

So I've tried 1$ mesa 212 demo pack. It blew me away! Finally IRs with nice bright top end, rich mids and tight lows, where just every IR sounds great and You don't have to scroll through hundreds of them :) Instantly bought full Mesa 212 and Matchless packs, and I'm trying to hold my horses before buying some marshalls as well :cool: This was recorded with Cornford MK50h + Torpedo Captor, and MES 212 V30 MIX 01 IR. Sorry for not using Fractal for this one, but my XL+ sits in my band's rack, and I'm still waiting for FM3 arrival in EU :D

Thanks for sharing this! Great tone and great playing! I’m thrilled that you’re liking the Mesa 2x12 so much! That one is really special. Enjoy playing, and I’m looking forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for sharing this! Great tone and great playing! I’m thrilled that you’re liking the Mesa 2x12 so much! That one is really special. Enjoy playing, and I’m looking forward to hearing more from you.
Thank You, it means a lot! :) VX15 joined my arsenal and it sounds glorious with my AC30! Any chances for 4x12 with classic 25w greenbacks in the near future? I know that there is Checkmate M25 in fractal store but I strongly prefer having wave files, not only *.syx.

Back
Top Bottom