AFIII Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising force

I never saw him live. I don’t know if I will like the show. I have watched quickly a 2021 gig in Texas (?) in YouTube and was a little bit disappointed. Like ever, he is completely “punk”, doesn’t matter of the others musicians on stage. Seems he don’t hear them or … must be very challenging to stay on the song with him, he does a lot of free stuff. He don’t sing bad, but when you listen back to the records and see an actual Show 😬. I ve listen the last one one time . The drum programming is out of time 🤦 . I m 50/50 with him. Globally I am not part of this scene, I don’t listen to 80 heavy metal except him. That’s an exception

How was the show ? Is it … Boring? I love guitar but … non stop solos for 1,5 hour ! 😅. I have seen dream theater many times and the last 2 shows where soooo long (image and words and metropolis part 2 anniversary show were both awful because of labrie, completely out of tune🤦).

In guitar stuff I have seen satriani and it’s was cool . Not boring . But yes I ve never seen vai or malmsteen . i m afraid that it’s “too much”
Hey mud,

The link you put up is another show on the same tour as I saw. The show I went to had 200 seats; only about 150 full. I counted 86 Marshall heads on stage!!!

My wife made me go to the show. He is an awesome guitarist, but you (meaning me) can’t listen to someone showing off for 1.5 hours. My wife was so bored with it she fell asleep. We ended up leaving before the show was over.

I really wish we would have come to it just as Yngwie was taking the stage; the two backup bands weren’t that good. Maybe we should have skipped it all together.

The last time I saw him, I think, was at the local House of Blues. Not many seats, but a lot of standing room. I bet there were a few hundred people. This tour was right after Ripper Owens started singing, I don't remember the year. It wasn't a bad show, except for the occasional heated moment when someone did something Yngwie didn't like. It wasn't a two hour wank fest anyway. I've definitely been to a few virtuoso types of guitar concerts where I got bored, and I'm actually interested in it. I'd never take someone that wasn't, as I know how it could go.

The last time I saw him, I think, was at the local House of Blues. Not many seats, but a lot of standing room. I bet there were a few hundred people. This tour was right after Ripper Owens started singing, I don't remember the year. It wasn't a bad show, except for the occasional heated moment when someone did something Yngwie didn't like. It wasn't a two hour wank fest anyway. I've definitely been to a few virtuoso types of guitar concerts where I got bored, and I'm actually interested in it. I'd never take someone that wasn't, as I know how it could go.
I actually fell asleep listening to that vid, for real. I'm chronically sleepshort so there's that, but still. Kind of interesting how he does his right hand which I'm sure has been dissected endlessly on the net, but I seriously do not care.

I never saw him live. I don’t know if I will like the show. I have watched quickly a 2021 gig in Texas (?) in YouTube and was a little bit disappointed. Like ever, he is completely “punk”, doesn’t matter of the others musicians on stage. Seems he don’t hear them or … must be very challenging to stay on the song with him, he does a lot of free stuff. He don’t sing bad, but when you listen back to the records and see an actual Show 😬. I ve listen the last one one time . The drum programming is out of time 🤦 . I m 50/50 with him. Globally I am not part of this scene, I don’t listen to 80 heavy metal except him. That’s an exception

How was the show ? Is it … Boring? I love guitar but … non stop solos for 1,5 hour ! 😅. I have seen dream theater many times and the last 2 shows where soooo long (image and words and metropolis part 2 anniversary show were both awful because of labrie, completely out of tune🤦).

In guitar stuff I have seen satriani and it’s was cool . Not boring . But yes I ve never seen vai or malmsteen . i m afraid that it’s “too much”

I just got around to watching the Houston video. First, he is still rediculously fast and smooth. Second though, WTF. I heard some pre-recorded vocals on one song, but yeah, the rest was basically just nothing but instrumentals or songs minus vocals. I jumped around in the video a bit.

This was a superb cover! Ab-so-lu-tely stunning.

There are many players who have the skill to play Yngwies runs and patterns, but so very few really manage to capture what is (perhaps even more) essential in his playing, the wiiiiiiide in-time vibrato, the bends, and the overall energy and sense of danger. His playing always gives me a feeling of a perfectly planned train crash. As if something extremely violent and rude is taking place, yet at the same time having been perfectly coordinated.

Your playing had that quality. It's obvious you're a seriously great player!

This was a superb cover! Ab-so-lu-tely stunning.

There are many players who have the skill to play Yngwies runs and patterns, but so very few really manage to capture what is (perhaps even more) essential in his playing, the wiiiiiiide in-time vibrato, the bends, and the overall energy and sense of danger. His playing always gives me a feeling of a perfectly planned train crash. As if something extremely violent and rude is taking place, yet at the same time having been perfectly coordinated.

Your playing had that quality. It's obvious you're a seriously great player!
Thank you

Last edited:
So, it looks like you're turning the pages of sheet music in some places.
Please tell me you're not reading a transcription of those stupid fast runs!
Yes I often do sight reading in my videos because i don’t remember everything . I have learned a lot of songs (1500 ?) so it helps me sometimes . I am not always reading, but often in solos yes I am.

Last edited:
Uh, wow. I can't imagine reading that stuff a thousand times slower. Respect!
Sorry to keep on this, but I'm curious how you do your thing...

What exactly are you reading (when you are)?
Changes and song structure, or actual notes?
If it's notes, is it heads and hooks only, or did you actually transcribe and read the solos and shreddy stuff?
Scary thought...

Sorry to keep on this, but I'm curious how you do your thing...

What exactly are you reading (when you are)?
Changes and song structure, or actual notes?
If it's notes, is it heads and hooks only, or did you actually transcribe and read the solos and shreddy stuff?
Scary thought...
I have the songbook with tablature, I sight read the tablature in the “hard parts” not the structure . Sometimes seing quickly what’s coming, the group of notes, show me in which scales I am etc .

Yes I often do sight reading in my videos because i don’t remember everything . I have learned a lot of songs (1500 ?) so it helps me sometimes . I am not always reading, but often in solos yes I am.
Wow, great playing, and sight reading is always on my "to do" list.... Congrats!!!

How was the show ? Is it … Boring?
Yes. Very much so. After the 3rd song I either wanted to hear him play some acoustic, or I was ready for Vai (G3) to come on. Good time for a beer & piss break. Don't get me wrong; He was amazing. But he blows his load in every song. But I actually love hearing his arrogance come through in interviews. :tearsofjoy:
Conversely, Steve Vai left my jaw on the floor. And each song was more mind-blowing than the previous one.

Back
Top Bottom