YNGWIE J. MALMSTEEN - FAR BEYOND THE SUN |Full MultiCam Video Cover| Q 3.02| ToneMatch Included

TheTrooper

Inspired
Hey everybody!
Just finished uploading my Cover of YJM's Far Beyond The Sun, from it's debut Solo Album Rising Force.
Soooo, back when I decided to do the video (2 months ago, probably more) I had no idea what I was going to use regarding the sound, because: 1) I don't have a Strat. 2) I don't have an ear-splitting Marshall Amp. 3) I don't like single coils. 4) I don't have funny/puffy Baroque Clothes 5) My guitar is not Vintage Yellow/Cream.
....Ok, 4 and 5 are not that much important. About the Marshall, well, this is Fractal Audio's Forum sooooo....maybe I used the Axe right? :)
Still, I knew that without a Strat with single coils, I couldn't really get close to YJM's Sound and I decided to use my usual Lead preset; then, 4 days ago I realized that I could isolated the guitar parts where there's nothing underneath, loop them and use them for a Tone Match. Yep, that's what I did. And drown the sound in Reverb helped too, ya know.

This was only one take, main video recorded with my Iphone, Camera video with a Zoom Q4 (trust me, it's really really hard to play with that thing on the headstock).
No post processing, No nothing; I haven't even removed the parts where I open the guitar volume, some squeals and noises are audible along the way eheh.
I used the 100W Plexi JUMP model, a TS Drive and the Ambience Reverb. (Will post the preset later)
I'm tuned to D standard Tuning (I lowered the pitch of the backing track since it's in Eb).

Well, hope You'll enjoy the video :)
And remember:
How can Less be More? MORE IS MORE!

P.S.: Let's say I'd like to have Fractal Audio's FaceBook page share this (since they shared other forumites videos some times): how do I do that?

I liked it very much! your tone is close to his even with this Ibanez loaded with humbuckers.
Thanks dude!
Yep, tried my best with the Tone Match; it's not so close, but it's close enough I guess.
This is off the hook! Awesome playing, great YJM tone match! Would love to have this preset!
Thank You! Patch incoming very soon.
Whoa! I'm going back to school. Any school, I don't care. That was ace. Thanks. Inspiring!
Hey that was really too much dude, but Thanks a lot :D
Um...wow!
Very nice
Thanks to everybody for the kind words, guys.
I'm really glad You liked it, will add the Patch in a couple of hours, with a few tips to make it more usable ;)

Last edited:
Aaaaan here's the Patch!
Before downloading it, I think You could use some tips to make it work with Your guitar/playing.
First off, I think the reason why a Tone Match done by somebody else (in this particular case, me) doesn't really work when another guy downloads it and plays with it, it's because it was done with "my frequencies", that means my guitar and my playing produced some sort of signal that gets read by the Axe and morphed into the reference signal (the original isolated track).
Now, if somebody want, I can give You the Mp3 isolated loop I did of the song (just PM me) so You can do the Tone Match on Your own (keep in mind that the original is in Eb and I'm in D, so the track will be in D) and make it work the right way with You equipment.
It's still going to be close without having to do that but if you want to be closer, we can do it :)

Second tip: try it both with a Cab Block and Tone Match block.
I actually did a Tone Match with a Cab (1960 with T75, the ones used by Yngwie in the '80s, it's in the factory Cabs) and the reference signal (the isolated guitar) and the sound I had from the amp block and cab block, were extremely similar (the two frequency curves were almost identical, the Cab it's the right one for sure), but for some reason, I haven't used it (Why? I don't have a clue....I forgot about it, probably).
So the chain would be: Drive----Amp------Cab----ToneMatch------Reverb.

I think that'll work better than just a Tone Match.
One last thing: CUT THE BASS.
I'm not sure, but on my recording the bass of the Lead track are eating up a lot pf the headroom and they might have caused some digital distortion because of that (but I'm not sure).
If You don't feel the need, don't cut, but if it's too muddy/loaded with bass, a nice big cut at 80hz-90hz (or more) and a less aggressive one at 230hz-250hz might help you a lot.

Enjoy the Patch :cool:

Attachments

• Far Beyond The Tone Match.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 81
Aaaaan here's the Patch!
Before downloading it, I think You could use some tips to make it work with Your guitar/playing.
First off, I think the reason why a Tone Match done by somebody else (in this particular case, me) doesn't really work when another guy downloads it and plays with it, it's because it was done with "my frequencies", that means my guitar and my playing produced some sort of signal that gets read by the Axe and morphed into the reference signal (the original isolated track).
Now, if somebody want, I can give You the Mp3 isolated loop I did of the song (just PM me) so You can do the Tone Match on Your own (keep in mind that the original is in Eb and I'm in D, so the track will be in D) and make it work the right way with You equipment.
It's still going to be close without having to do that but if you want to be closer, we can do it :)

Second tip: try it both with a Cab Block and Tone Match block.
I actually did a Tone Match with a Cab (1960 with T75, the ones used by Yngwie in the '80s, it's in the factory Cabs) and the reference signal (the isolated guitar) and the sound I had from the amp block and cab block, were extremely similar (the two frequency curves were almost identical, the Cab it's the right one for sure), but for some reason, I haven't used it (Why? I don't have a clue....I forgot about it, probably).
So the chain would be: Drive----Amp------Cab----ToneMatch------Reverb.

I think that'll work better than just a Tone Match.
One last thing: CUT THE BASS.
I'm not sure, but on my recording the bass of the Lead track are eating up a lot pf the headroom and they might have caused some digital distortion because of that (but I'm not sure).
If You don't feel the need, don't cut, but if it's too muddy/loaded with bass, a nice big cut at 80hz-90hz (or more) and a less aggressive one at 230hz-250hz might help you a lot.

Enjoy the Patch :cool:
Thanks very much and appreciate the detailed explanation of how to adjust this preset! Excellent!

Excellent playing...well done :)

Thanks man :)

wow, I wouldnt be able to commit that much to memory in ?ever? much less play it.

Instrumental songs always leave me If I don't play them for some time.....Forgot so many of them I learned in the past (Satch, Petrucci, Moore....) but I'll keep this one practiced, this time for sure :)

*Gulp*

Between you and ProgressiveRocco, now I'll never have the guts to post my noodling. :(
Ah come on, it's not a competition, it's to have fun and to get the always needed objective critisism, but primarly to have fun. :D
Yeah, ProgressiveRocco is really an outstanding player!

Excellent! Playing and tone are both spot on. What firmware and model of Axe-Fx are you using?

Thanks dude! :cool:
I'm using Quantum 3.02 for the firmware (latest available); the Axe is an XL :)

No scalloped frets? Ha! You've got skills! Are those flat wound strings? In the close-ups they look like it. Sounds fantastic. Loved the Indiana Jones parts also. Wish I could play like that. My pinky and wrist are causing me problems from years of shredding. Not as good as what you laid down though, dang!

Back
Top Bottom