Yngwie blues album

It's like he figured out everything that's great about blues and went and did the opposite.

I love Yngwie's playing but this can best be summed up by the phrase "don't quit your day job".
I mean, there's some blue notes every once in a while... And he plays some blues licks, but I totally get what you're saying!

Now, for many of the songs listed on the upcoming album, I think stylistically it will work. They are mostly blues influenced heavy rock songs, not blues.

Now I need to cleanse my ears with the Odyssey album.

Odyssey rocks! \m/

Yngwie, Joe Lynn Turner is still alive. You should make another album together while you are both able to do so, before time runs out for one of you.

Then again, Joe Lynn Turner might not be willing to make another album with Yngwie. The man after all is not so easy to work with and sheds musicians like a dog or cat sheds hair.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Not according to my blues purist friends :D

Blues is often associated with the basic chord scheme underneath and a certain style of guitar playing (BB King etc.). But that's just a part of it. Blues is all about telling a story, and bringing the message convincingly and emotionally. The chords are basic so they don't distract from the story.

In that aspect Gary Moore did play and sing the blues on his two blues albums, IMO. Because even he did so unmistakably with a hard rock background, he focussed on the songs, lyrics and singing.

And not on mindless noodling where Malmsteen gets it all wrong.

Not knocking the Y, but to me that is just not the blues. The blues is about feeling every note. That one just didn’t do it for me.

"Not knocking the Y....." Too funny.

I wish you would hurry up an get a III... your wit/input is missed in that sub forum.
I check my doorstep every day for the brown box in hope that Cliff or Matt take pity on me and send me one, but so far I am just not feeling the love. On top of that, Gilmour is not giving me any of his guitars. :(

It makes me want a Ferrari :(

For those of us that remember the beginning...He started with Jags first.

I had a client back in Chicago who has a pretty respectable car collection including four Ferrari's... he would always rail on the Y (under license from the Geeze) for his playing and his "throwaway" Ferrari collection as he never has anything current or desirable from a collectors standpoint. His opinion, not mine.

Ill always have a spot for the Y, like him or not, he is The Godfather to so much good that came after.

I found that hard to listen to production wise. The drums sound gigantic, not in a good way but in a ridiculous cartoon way. Everything is TOO LOUD, track doesn't breathe at all.

I'm a fan of blues guitar but I couldn't make it to the end of this one. Fail!

I actually don't think the playing or the music is that bad. The issues I have with this are: ridiculous lyrics, bad singing, opulent / self-indulgent video, and horrible production. As @Robboman pointed out, there's basically no dynamics in this sound at all. Everything is going at 110% all the time, which is probably what Yngwie was going for but it basically removes any semblance of feel at all.

Its kind of like when I first started playing guitar and taking my first lesson. My teacher told me more or less that there were two "directions" I could go - putting my main focus on one of them. That was the blues based direction or the classical based direction. Yngwie obviously went the classical route - and he should stay there...

Not for nothing but... I noticed MOST of the scenes of him cruising (Shot from inside the car) ... He did NOT have the top down... Just sayin...
But I still love some YJM!!

Yngwie always said he didn't like blues. And now he's proved that.

Sounds like one of those indulgent jams at the end of a G3 concert where everyone throws taste out the window and mindlessly shreds over a 12 bar for 10 minutes. Much more fun for them than the audience.

Back
Top Bottom