Yngwie at Sweetwater

I'm a fan of his first five solo albums, as well as his Alcatrazz stuff. I don't care much for the songs on the Steeler album, but I thought his playing was unbelievable. Kids all over youtube shred like that nowadays, but back then, I had never heard anything like it. I'm still a fan, but I don't think I'd go to a show.

IMHO Yngwie's got the thickest, manliest.... vibrato.

edit:
About the youtube kids. They can play the notes, but it's hard to find any with a juicy, manly vibrato.

Love Yngwie, after Eddie he was the biggest change in in guitar. I'm a little burn out and I'm sure he is after all these years of his thing but it's great he's still going!!!

I forgot about Steeler, I had that on vinyl! and Alcatrazz! To Young to Die to Drunk to Live, Island in the Sun; remember the hot guards singing backup in that video? and Yngwie playing a V. :D Then Steve Vai joined Alcatrazz, how bout "God Blessed Video?" I thought that was the coolest riff I'd ever heard. Man. good memories. :)

About the youtube kids. They can play the notes, but it's hard to find any with a juicy, manly vibrato.

Ya got that right, one can copy but not duplicate. ;)

He is a god. Though I dont listen for more than a few min. in concert he is mesmerizing. Most of what you all say is true and I still love it in small doses. He truly is up there with the originators, Hendrix, Page, VH, Rhoads. He gave birth to an entire movement.

I first heard Yngwie from a tape trader friend that got a copy of the demo he sent to Mike Varney. I actually found it on youtube...

I don't know for sure if this is the tape he sent but that's what I heard back at the time. You can really hear the Richie and Uli influence in the riffs.It contained some variations of riffs and songs he used for his solo albums. This was right as he was joining Steeler. I thought Steeler was a step back for him. I thought Alcatraz was pretty good, with much better songs, but Rising Force was a masterpiece and Marching Out is pretty amazing too.

For me the most amazing thing about Yngwie is not his vibrato or left hand ability. It's his right hand. His picking economy is off the charts. The only one I've seen close to having a similar right hand is Nuno.

I'm not much of a fan of his more recent work, I think he regurgitates a lot of the same licks. That doesn't matter for me though because Rising Force was a game changer. Of the players I knew of at the time, only Richie Blackmore, Uli, and Randy had played that style of music before him.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I love this guy!! He is still the same YJM as ever!!! MORE is more!!! I hope he keeps going forever!!

Chances are he will. I have full confidence that this is what he will keep on doing for the rest of his life. Boy, will he keep on doing this for the rest of his life. Ad nauseum.

The worst part was all the people watching the show through their phones.
C'mon people, you're supposed to experience life, not document it.

Welcome to the modern age. Where real life is not something to be experienced, but something to make you look good on social media. I see this kind of behavior at every concert/event/activity nowadays.

He was a featured artist at Vai Academy 2018.

Same wall of amps to play a few workshops... Total overkill.

I really pity his guitar tech and roadies, as I doubt that Yngwie will lift a finger to help haul and build up that monstrosity.

He like others are hard to understand for some that did not live through it first hand. It was a game changer in the league of JH, and EVH. I wish he'd tone down the "shtick" and try to move forward or evolve.

Not everyone can move forward or evolve. Most guitar players, or any kind of artist basically, find something they're good at and that's usually it. I think it was Keith Richards who said that you spend half your career looking for that perfect riff, and once you find it it ends up on almost everything you do in the second half of your career.

I feel like he's capable of being "musical" and not just mindlessly shredding, and I think he was in his element when accompanied by the New Japan Philharmonic orchestra. The "crazed virtuoso" thing suits him in this context and his classical influences serve him well here.

I respect the physical ability to play that fast and clean.

The only album of his that enjoyed and thought was musical was Odyssey with Joe Lynn Turner. I believe Yngwie shines in a context where he needs to fit in a vocalist.

Otherwise, his playing is to music as an auctioneer's skill is to narration to me.

I respect the physical ability to play that fast and clean.

The only album of his that enjoyed and thought was musical was Odyssey with Joe Lynn Turner. I believe Yngwie shines in a context where he needs to fit in a vocalist.

Otherwise, his playing is to music as an auctioneer's skill is to narration to me.

I agree with the first two parts you stated above, but I like Odyssey and everything he did before that.

So I am watching some vids of him right now and Howie Mandal just introduced Alcatrazz into Too You To Die Too Drunk To Live, I guess Howie opened for them o_O. The sound quality's horrible though, all drums an keys, can't even hear Yngwie.

How can you not like this one:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=yngwie...-22&sk=&cvid=3DE3792C0856402F80EAB14D440BC5BE
Click on the one with the red album cover with the rock jail and dime that volume knob*, or if you prefer "jailrock." ;) I especially like the riff at 1:49

* No really, the level's so low you'll have to.

@Alex C , I can't see you links :(

@Muad'zin How do you even get up in the morning? Or afternoon? Or what ever time rock stars get up these days? ;) I put up a winky emoji so it looks like I'm joking. :D :rolleyes:

I really pity his guitar tech and roadies, as I doubt that Yngwie will lift a finger to help haul and build up that monstrosity.

You do know those are just empty cabinets right? and all you need is a finger to lift them. ;)

I've enjoyed the couple of times I've seen him live. I don't listen to his music very often, typically one track per year is about my average, but live he's pretty fun. I can enjoy shred, but only in occasional small doses.

He like others are hard to understand for some that did not live through it first hand. It was a game changer in the league of JH, and EVH. I wish he'd tone down the "shtick" and try to move forward or evolve.

It's interesting the you say that because I was in elementary school for all of the first DLR stuff before Hagar (I was in 4th grade in 1984), which is probably why I like the Hagar stuff more, as it was more relevant to my musical awakening years and in retrospect shows more growth in EVH as a writer.

Obviously, JH died before I was born so all of that is a time capsule of stuff that will always remain light years ahead of its time. One can only imagine what he could have accomplished...

YJM on the other hand is, to me, even more of a satire or parody of 80's excess than Spinal Tap. With Spinal Tap at least you and they knew it was comedy. I'm not sure if YJM is serious or he has just been running the same gag for 35 years.

@Muad'zin How do you even get up in the morning? Or afternoon? Or what ever time rock stars get up these days? ;) I put up a winky emoji so it looks like I'm joking. :D :rolleyes:

I think there's one of those internet debating laws that says that any satire of extremist POV's is
indiscernable from the real thing without smilies. :D

And how I get up in the morning? Why, to the sounds of Slayer as my cell phone's wake up call.

You do know those are just empty cabinets right? and all you need is a finger to lift them. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if those were real though. He seems like the type who would.

Everyone is a Facebook photojournalist.

I post on Facebook, therefore I am!

Last edited:
It's interesting the you say that because I was in elementary school for all of the first DLR stuff before Hagar (I was in 4th grade in 1984), which is probably why I like the Hagar stuff more, as it was more relevant to my musical awakening years and in retrospect shows more growth in EVH as a writer.

Yes it's probably often overlooked by people when they are making their decisions if they like something or not, or decide to bash something on the internet. Kiss is a prime example as well. Some don't get it at all, some love it. My first concert was 1979, i was 9, and it was Kiss. It blew my mind. I have a fondness for them that younger cats wont have. I do think it's ran it's course for them unfortunately, father time is kicking their butt.

Yngwie is just stuck in his "thing". Frilly unbuttoned shirts, gold rolex, marshall stacks for days. All silly at the moment though. When I first heard Rising Force (missed the Alcatrazz and Steeler albums), it was another mind blower. Me and a buddy were holed up for weekends at a time with our mini tape recorders slowing down and learning licks. I love him for those memories, but now it's pretty much a parody.

Last edited:
I actually thought his best songs were on his most commercial efforts: Eclipse and Fire & Ice. Far less "shred" and far more "pop-rock".

Saw him on "The Seventh Sign" tour and made sure to get to the gig extra early so I could stand directly in from of him. The hum from all those Marshalls was like an extra member of the band.

Back
Top Bottom