YJM on the AFX

Thanks! Easy to add more gain with a boost or just increasing it on the amp, I like the clarity I get with this much though at the same time. These are the newer Seymour Duncan Furys though as it happens.

The Fury pups are low output, per Yngwie's specifications so it would make sense to boost them in front of an amp block. Yngwie lets his amps do the work!

I would call them medium output compared to regular strat pickups, I have another guitar with a YJM Fury in the neck and a Bareknuckle Slow Hand in the middle and the Fury is considerably louder. I have a Bareknuckle Rebel Yell (full sized humbucker) in the bridge of that guitar and the Fury matches it pretty well tone-wise.

The amp model I'm using is a Carol Ann Tucana, not a Marshall and to me it seems to have more gain than a typical Marshall. I can definitely push the gain further but for me I like the tone I get from it with the current settings. I'm not trying to match YJMs tone really, I want a sound that sounds good to my ears first and foremost. Too much gain to me just makes everything too compressed and kills the dynamics in your playing. Totally subjective of course, everybody has different tastes ;)

I gotta admit, I clicked on the thread title expecting to see a video of YJM trash talking Fractal and rationalizing the use of 24 amp heads live! :lol

I would call them medium output compared to regular strat pickups,

emoticon+-+nodding.GIF

.. and more output than the HS-3's

I would call them medium output compared to regular strat pickups, I have another guitar with a YJM Fury in the neck and a Bareknuckle Slow Hand in the middle and the Fury is considerably louder. I have a Bareknuckle Rebel Yell (full sized humbucker) in the bridge of that guitar and the Fury matches it pretty well tone-wise.

The amp model I'm using is a Carol Ann Tucana, not a Marshall and to me it seems to have more gain than a typical Marshall. I can definitely push the gain further but for me I like the tone I get from it with the current settings. I'm not trying to match YJMs tone really, I want a sound that sounds good to my ears first and foremost. Too much gain to me just makes everything too compressed and kills the dynamics in your playing. Totally subjective of course, everybody has different tastes ;)
I stand corrected, my friend :) My reply was purely based on some information (or more appropriately "mis"-information I received from my guitar tech). One of my guitars for fun is a scallopped out severely modded Squire Strat. I liked the HS2s but never bonded with HS3s. I asked to have the pups switched out with Fury's and was advised that the output would be very low. The guitar ended up with an Area 67 in front, an HS2 in the middle and a Vintage Blues in back, not the ultimate for an Yngwie setup. It's new harness time, or if a great deal comes up on the Evil bay, maybe an YJM Strat. Your sound is really close, probably as much kudos to your playing as sound setup.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, my friend :) My reply was purely based on some information (or more appropriately "mis"-information I received from my guitar tech). One of my guitars for fun is a scallopped out severely modded Squire Strat. I liked the HS2s but never bonded with HS3s. I asked to have the pups switched out with Fury's and was advised that the output would be very low. The guitar ended up with an Area 67 in front, an HS2 in the middle and a Vintage Blues in back, not the ultimate for an Yngwie setup. It's new harness time, or if a great deal comes up on the Evil bay, maybe an YJM Strat. Your sound is really close, probably as much kudos to your playing as sound setup.

Thanks, very kind. I'm still much more of a blues player really than a shredder but I'm working on some Ynqwie licks from the Troy Grady lessons to add some of that to my bag of tricks.

Re the Fury pickups, I'm really a fan of them. One of my guitar students recently bought them as a kit where you get a scratchplace with them already mounted and wired with pots etc and I put that in his strat for him. For us it turned a nice strat into a really nice one. Purist strat guys won't probably like them as they are a little darker than a vintage strat pickup but they work so well with high gain tones and still sound quite 'stratty'. That's why I ended up buying an individual neck one and putting that in another strat I have that's SSH and again I was delighted with the improvements they made to that guitar (MIJ 1986 Fender).

Back
Top Bottom