Yet another thread pitting controller versus controller.

zepp88

I got my AxeFx the other day and I am loving it, so now I have to decide on a foot controller.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Fractal controller, but in the meantime I need a working setup. If you would classify me by what controller I use I'm more of an "All Access" guy, the Axcess FX-1 and the LiquidFoot are cool, but they're just too much for me.

The controller that I am most interested in is the Little Giant, as it's compact and seems to be able to do anything and everything.

My main concerns are these:

It must be compact
Have at least 2 expression inputs
at least 4 or 5 preset buttons, but IA switches would be a plus, I don't need complex setups, but I'm sure to find a use for stuff like that.
It must support the AxeFx tuner display.
It must have Phantom Power

So, besides the upcoming Fractal controller is there anything that matches that criteria? The Little Giant is almost perfect, but apparently it has no phantom power and no tuner support?

Or hell, what about even a Midi Mate for a temporary fix until the Fractal one is done.

Throw some ideas at me! :D

According to the criteria I somehow doubt you'll find a controller that really matches them. Little Giant (which I own) does not support AxeFX tuner and doesn't have phantom power. Still I would chose it any time over it competition - try to searrch for the threads or visit Gordius user group.

I've been searching around on the forum, and I've checked out the Gordius yahoo forum. I just like conversation that's all :lol:

With all of the options it has, does it ever get daunting? Is it pretty easy and comfortable to get used to configuring it?

The lack of phantom power is a major show-stopper on that one though.

zepp88 said:
With all of the options it has, does it ever get daunting? Is it pretty easy and comfortable to get used to configuring it?

The lack of phantom power is a major show-stopper on that one though.
I hear you. I actually don't mind the lack of phantom power that much - I power it from my rack anyway. I highly recommend downloading the LGC and try it to see what it takes to get it configured. I think you can get along pretty well. Using the computer for the config is so much easier than configuring my All Acess via its HW interface was. I can tell you that having owned LG for some six months or so, I would pay even twice as much for it. For me, it's a gift from heaven...

zepp88 said:
currently, nothing does that.
(unless you just mean that it can activate/deactivate the tuner on the Axe-Fx itself... in which case, any controller that can toggle two values on a CC can do that)

godprobe said:
zepp88 said:
currently, nothing does that.
(unless you just mean that it can activate/deactivate the tuner on the Axe-Fx itself... in which case, any controller that can toggle two values on a CC can do that)

That's what I thought, and it's another reason why I can't wait for the Fractal one to come out. It's certainly not really a big deal, but it would be nice to be able to tune without turning away from the crowd.

zepp88 said:
The Little Giant is almost perfect, but apparently it has no phantom power and no tuner support?

- "phantom powering" the LG is possible if you use following cable :
http://www.rocketmusic.net/cgi-bin/comm ... n&key=2527

- since Tuner support seems to be a hot topic over here, I guess the LG will support it as soon as the necessary info to do so is published. At that moment, we might also provide another type of cable, supporting 2-way MIDI communication plus power.

ossandust said:
zepp88 said:
The Little Giant is almost perfect, but apparently it has no phantom power and no tuner support?

- "phantom powering" the LG is possible if you use following cable :
http://www.rocketmusic.net/cgi-bin/comm ... n&key=2527

- since Tuner support seems to be a hot topic over here, I guess the LG will support it as soon as the necessary info to do so is published. At that moment, we might also provide another type of cable, supporting 2-way MIDI communication plus power.

Wow! That cable is an excellent idea, thank you for posting!

The case just got much better for the Little Giant.

I dont get this. If its a temporary solution do you really need all the functions you will have when the Fractal is released?

Id either get a Midimate and one foot controler (which is all it will take) which can be phantom powered, or the Behringer which has 2 footpedals but (as far asI know) cant be phantom powered.

Either option are relatively cheap - and readily available used (which is how I would go).

When the Fractal controler is available upgrade - sell off the "temporary" solution and you'll get back most of what you paid anyway.

Just my thoughts - in the end go with you gut feeling.

paulmapp8306 said:
I dont get this. If its a temporary solution do you really need all the functions you will have when the Fractal is released?

Id either get a Midimate and one foot controler (which is all it will take) which can be phantom powered, or the Behringer which has 2 footpedals but (as far asI know) cant be phantom powered.

Either option are relatively cheap - and readily available used (which is how I would go).

When the Fractal controler is available upgrade - sell off the "temporary" solution and you'll get back most of what you paid anyway.

Just my thoughts - in the end go with you gut feeling.

You make a very good point, and after thinking about it for a while and doing some more research on the Midimate, this is exactly what I'm going to do. The LG and the LF are really nice controllers, but in the end I really want the Fractal one. ;)

Back
Top Bottom