Yet another headphone recommendation thread

Hi, i've been doing lots of research on the forum and online in general and have narrowed my search to three different headphones.

shure srh1540 $499

grado prestige sr325e $295

blue mofi $349

The blues seem to be right up my alley since i also an an atomic CLR and people say that the sound is close to the sound you would hear from the CLR

i would also like to use the headphones for casual listening.

The grado were a consumer reports top pick and the shure seem to be highly rated as well but not as good for ipod listening.

any opinions on these units or something else in a similar price range?

thanks!

I have the blue mofi's. I really like them. It's like an amp in your ears. I went through a bunch of different ones, sennheiser, shure, and atx. The only downside I would say is the cord that comes with it. It is really thin and I've broken one already. They sent me another one for free though so customer support is good.

Blue MoFi... 3 settings, use as regular phones...click the switch for amped regular phones.. click again for amped phones with extra bass.
You won't regret the purchase....

Don't ask me, that's for sure...
11270488_10153241703191276_1605205554635410317_o.jpg

I just realized that picture it outdated, too... I have at least two other pairs of high end cans that aren't in the picture. Oh well... :D

Tried and true Sennheiser Hd600 and 650. Not terribly expensive, sounds great, extremely comfortable, and spare parts will most likely be available for another 20 years.

I've tried a few out and it seems to me that a low budget Senheiser can cope with all of the expensive ones. Whatever you want to buy, try them and compare them. Let your ear decide and not the online reviews.

I used beyerdynamic DT 770 for years, then I bought the 880 version. A little bit better, but I could get it at GC for $175. Original price is $299, but they do internet price match :)

Blue MoFi... 3 settings, use as regular phones...click the switch for amped regular phones.. click again for amped phones with extra bass.
You won't regret the purchase....
Hi there! Blue just released a new version called Lola. They changed some parts so that it fits better, it's 100$ cheaper and therefore no amplifire. Do you ever use the amp-mode with the axe fx? Is it necessary? PCMag.com writes: "while there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Mo-Fi, it's hard to argue with a new model that takes its best sound mode, which happens to be passive, and knocks a full $100 off the price tag." Do you agree on this statement?

Edit:
this guy also says the mofi's fit really badly and that he prefers the headphones in passive mode:

If you guys think that passive is the bomb and that they (mofi) do not fit that well.. let me know

Last edited:
I give the vid a thumbs down and here's my reasoning....When I went to purchase a set of headphones there were about a dozen on display all hooked up and ready for a listening demo...I tried them all and the Blue MoFi were far superior to all others. I'm not using them about town with an iPod, I got them strictly for the Axe-FX. That's just my opinion. So you should find an audio outlet with many headphones set up and judge them for yourself. It's the sound quality that matters.

I'd like to recommend two other headphones that haven't been mentioned here: I use the Beyerdynamic dt880 premium - 600 ohm version with a Schiit Audio tube headphone amplifier to great effect!!! I'd also like to recommend the Sennheiser hd 650s as well. Both great pairs.

Last edited:
I give the vid a thumbs down and here's my reasoning....When I went to purchase a set of headphones there were about a dozen on display all hooked up and ready for a listening demo...I tried them all and the Blue MoFi were far superior to all others. I'm not using them about town with an iPod, I got them strictly for the Axe-FX. That's just my opinion. So you should find an audio outlet with many headphones set up and judge them for yourself. It's the sound quality that matters.
But as i begged for answer, do you think the passive mode is a great mode? And do you use that for the axe fx? The mofi and lola's are identical but without amp and changed headband.

i went and ordered the blue mofi from amazon. i must admit the headband is a touch uncomfortable for my gargantuan head. i have made several adjustments and the comfort has improved a bit, but it still doesn't feel quite right. the amp mode sounds great through my iphone. i played for about 20 minutes on the axe in passive mode and it sounded very good. i have yet to try it in active mode, but i hope to do so shortly.

Back
Top Bottom