Yes, a stupid question

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
Howdy. I've mostly written my own patches over the years, but recently I just started delving into the treasure chest that is axe-change. I've gotten some great stuff. However, I also often encounter the 'silent patch' - a patch I download and install and... no sound. I'm sure there are many reasons for this, but I'd love some help trouble shooting.

Some example patches: "weightless" and "worship template", both of which I found looking for Axe-II patches with the word 'Ambient' in them.

Thanks much, amigos.

few things, possibly missing cab, or a controller attached to a pedal that is not there or engaged differently.

Usually a controller...like he said. Axe-Change has some beauties alright. Part of the reason I own one of these XL's to begin with was because of all the great presets and wonderful people willing to share their knowledge.
To bad there are so many trying to make money off of presets now instead of sharing like they used to do.

Usually a controller...like he said. Axe-Change has some beauties alright. Part of the reason I own one of these XL's to begin with was because of all the great presets and wonderful people willing to share their knowledge.
To bad there are so many trying to make money off of presets now instead of sharing like they used to do.

So you feel that a guy like AustinBuddy, who spend hundreds of hours tweaking each and every preset, every parameter in the amp block, etc to sound subjectively as good as possible, doesn't deserve anything for the effort ??

Why shouldn't someone receive some compensation for their efforts ?

Cliff spend hundreds of hours coding the Axe modeling, and he charges a fair upfront price. Should he just of said here is a free VST plugin, enjoy... ?

Should guys like Mikko who spend hundreds of hours shooting IR's, mixing IR's etc just give them away ??

Why should people pay for a cab pack yet not pay for presets, if both take time and energy to create ?

If someone puts effort into creating something of value, which obviously you want, why should you get it for free ??

Don't understand that entitled way of thinking....

So you feel that a guy like AustinBuddy, who spend hundreds of hours tweaking each and every preset, every parameter in the amp block, etc to sound subjectively as good as possible, doesn't deserve anything for the effort ??

Why shouldn't someone receive some compensation for their efforts ?

Cliff spend hundreds of hours coding the Axe modeling, and he charges a fair upfront price. Should he just of said here is a free VST plugin, enjoy... ?

Should guys like Mikko who spend hundreds of hours shooting IR's, mixing IR's etc just give them away ??

Why should people pay for a cab pack yet not pay for presets, if both take time and energy to create ?

If someone puts effort into creating something of value, which obviously you want, why should you get it for free ??

Don't understand that entitled way of thinking....
:DAnd the flaming begins. You have your opinion, I have mine. And I am happy you are upset.:D

That’s not flaming. That’s starting a discussion. Please don’t jump to extremes.
Well now.....if starting a discussion means someone else putting words in my mouth, then I guess we should discuss.
I never said any of that. and coming from a guy who has been kicked around and expected to work for free, I do expect those people to be paid for their efforts.
I won't go in to the details of being an under paid musician.
However, it seems like most of us part time music dudes and wannabees are nothing more than ATM machines for a lot of companies out there, while the elite upper echelon reap the rewards and benefits.

I dunno so much about charging for patches, I’m kinda on the fence.. I guess it’s okay if people are willing to buy. I’m guilty of buying a few patch packs myself, but never a single one I ever thought was worth the 3 seconds to download, let alone the money spent. The problem is that patches really rarely transfer well. I will say however, some have been useful with giving cool ideas and some very good effects blocks. So I suppose in that regard, they weren’t all a total bust. Not that I’m bitter, not at all, I know the chances of getting something useable are slim to none, I’ll buy them every now & then just to satisfy my own curiosity for various reasons. And I guess one of the problems from a business standpoint I have with selling patches, (saying if I were to personally endeavor into it) I would want to make sure that what I was selling was working how I had intended it to for each & every customer. But everyone has a different rig & that would be nearly impossible to do, there’s too many variables to contend with. But I guess, or at least I think most people are aware of this when they buy patches? But then if they are, why are they buying it to begin with.. I dunno.. that’s why I’m kinda on the fence on the whole thing..

I would buy a few patches for shits and giggles, if they where considerably cheaper. After all, they are virtual, not like buying hardware, that is an investment that can be re-sold at a later date.

I love some of the patches I've downloaded - and I love some of the patches I've bought - for less than a good bottle of bourbon! Now there's a bargain!
Thanks
Pauly

If the modifier says external 9 where would that come from I know 1through 4 has plugs in the back of the MFC
Pedal jacks are separate from the 12 External controllers available. Pedal Jack 1 is NOT External 1 only - it might be set like that by default, but they are independent. Pedal Jack 1 can be External 6, 2 can be 10, etc.

It’s how you set them up in the CTRL menu (and MFC MIDI setup) that corresponds to what External they represent.

Thanks, i just used the pedal jacks,the 4 pedal switches. I never used the external controllers guess I should read up on them

I think buying presets is just a blonde hair away from paying someone to come play your guitar for you. I don’t understand the appeal, nothing ever sounds as good by a long shot with my guitar, and my amp, and my fingers as I can get in two minutes of front panel tweaking. I think it’s just another case of people trying to buy their way into something that has traditionally been earned.
I’ve actually been compensated plenty for creating tones for people in the past. But the formula for creating tone “A” is always different for two individual players. Going with just another factory’s preset is like auto tune for guitar tone. Great if you want to sound passably generic with no know how or experimentation.
To summarize, buy Suhr or strandberg , buy axe fx (keep plastic on screen) buy preset packs, buy cab packs, buy clrs, take pictures, post on internet, stare at your godly rig, never play, play like shit, never create anything, bitch about tone, buy xyz, repeat.

To summarize, buy Suhr or strandberg , buy axe fx (keep plastic on screen) buy preset packs, buy cab packs, buy clrs, take pictures, post on internet, stare at your godly rig, never play, play like shit, never create anything, bitch about tone, buy xyz, repeat.

that actually made me laugh... especially the leave plastic on screen.

Sorry... I'm a capitalist and wouldn't begrudge anyone making a profit from goods or services the market recognizes a need for and is willing to pay for. There's obviously a market for them. Does it appeal to me or not isn't part of that equation. I hate green beans but I don't lambast the farmers who grow them or folks that buy them.

I think buying presets is just a blonde hair away from paying someone to come play your guitar for you. I don’t understand the appeal, nothing ever sounds as good by a long shot with my guitar, and my amp, and my fingers as I can get in two minutes of front panel tweaking. I think it’s just another case of people trying to buy their way into something that has traditionally been earned.
I’ve actually been compensated plenty for creating tones for people in the past. But the formula for creating tone “A” is always different for two individual players. Going with just another factory’s preset is like auto tune for guitar tone. Great if you want to sound passably generic with no know how or experimentation.
What your post fails to take into account is the large population of bedroom or "hobby" guitarists. They want to have access to decent tones without having to go too deep into the unit.

While I agree that most people's presets don't work well for me, that is no judgment on others. If you like it, use it. Many people are perfectly happy with the factory presets... I'm not one of them, but that's ok.

Think of purchased presets as an extension of the factory presets - just an add on.

Most people would not be happy if the Axe Fx (or any other guitar processor) came with no presets already loaded. I would be fine with it, as I only use my own anyway.

To each their own. ;)

Back
Top Bottom