Yes - 2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Rick Wakeman's speech is absolutely hilarious. I was literally laughing out loud watching it!

If you haven't seen their performance, you have to watch it. They still sound absolutely incredible!!

Roundabout w/ Geddy Lee

Owner of a Lonely Heart

@Toopy14 LOVED Rick's off color acceptance speech!!!!

Also Rush's introduction gave a tip of the hat to Lifeson's "blah blah" acceptance speech when Rush were inducted.

I sense a tension between Trevor Rabin and Steve Howe. Check out Steve's (playing a beautiful red Rickenbacker bass) over the top stage antics during Owner Of Lonely Heart. Steve always has had great stage energy but doesn't typically do dance moves and shenanigans. I believe that was his way of expressing dislike for the song / Trevor.

Geddy's bass sounds like shit compared to the Rick that Howe is playing in Owner.

Honestly I wasn't blown away by Geddy's tone either. But hey, what a gig! I wouldn't sweat my tone too much if I got that call.

I thought Rick's keyboards were very spot on. So effortless looking as he plays Roundabout.

I grew tired of the Yes shtick very early on, perhaps I was overexposed to the first couple albums, but DAMN, did they sound good in these clips....and who knew that Wakeman is an accomplished stand-up comic. (If the material was a bit stale...)

I grew tired of the Yes shtick very early on, perhaps I was overexposed to the first couple albums, but DAMN, did they sound good in these clips....and who knew that Wakeman is an accomplished stand-up comic. (If the material was a bit stale...)

I really never got burned out on them. I went to many of their shows in the 73-78 era.

and who knew that Wakeman is an accomplished stand-up comic. (If the material was a bit stale...)
Actually, from what I understand he's much better known in the UK for his comedy than for his keyboards.

And thx for the reminder, I still haven't "officially" watched this (meaning the HBO show). My wife is out of town for the next couple of weeks, time for a LOT of catching up!!!

I might be crazy but the R&R Hall versions I first heard a while back didn't sound near that perfect. I'm certain some things were fixed. Geddy's tone on those were REALLY bad. I would have liked to see him with his Rick bass here.

Last edited:
I'm very happy these bands are being inducted...they deserve it for sure
...but...
emerson lake and palmer were the gold standard in my book...and where are they?

just my 2 cents..

I loved and appreciated a lot of the work that chicago did....
But i also believe the one album by blood sweat and tears with spinning wheel was
more important than the 30 or 40 by chicago..

opinions are great, aren't they? :)

Wakeman was funny and all, but what ticked me off about his speech was that he went on for so long (they only allowed a certain amount of time for speeches) that Chris Squire's widow didn't end up getting to speak at all. Wakeman had made a big deal about her getting invited (he threatened not to show up unless she could attend) and then he took away her chance to honor Squire.

Yes is my favorite band of all time and I thought it was sad to see the two camps barely even acknowledging each other.

I might be crazy but the R&R Hall versions I first heard a while back didn't sound near that perfect. I'm certain some things were fixed. Geddy's tone on those were REALLY bad. I would have liked to see him with his Rick bass here.

The first ones I heard sounded like cell phone audio. I agree the broadcast mix sounded noticeably better.

Wakeman was funny and all, but what ticked me off about his speech was that he went on for so long (they only allowed a certain amount of time for speeches) that Chris Squire's widow didn't end up getting to speak at all. Wakeman had made a big deal about her getting invited (he threatened not to show up unless she could attend) and then he took away her chance to honor Squire.

Yes is my favorite band of all time and I thought it was sad to see the two camps barely even acknowledging each other.
Perhaps she didn't want to actually speak? That actually happens sometimes. It might have been enough just to be there. You're reading a whole lot into nothing at all, my dude.

Perhaps she didn't want to actually speak? That actually happens sometimes. It might have been enough just to be there. You're reading a whole lot into nothing at all, my dude.

Well, Wakeman initially said he wouldn't attend but then changed his mind in January:

I am very pleased to announce that as the Hall of Fame have now agreed to present Chris Squire’s wife with a posthumous award acknowledging his massive contribution to YES, I have agreed to attend the Induction ceremony in New York to both stand proudly with my fellow band mates Jon and Trevor and also to watch Chris’s wife Scottie collect this well deserved award on his behalf."

http://www.rwcc.com/gorr_1701.asp

So back in January it seemed like it was a big deal that she get some acknowledgement. Squire's wife Scottie wrote after the Hall of Fame event:

"for the record....I was supposed to talk after Rick. He said he was going to introduce me. I had a very nice speech prepared to honor Chris, and Xilan and I wanted on Chris' behalf to thank everyone, especially the fans (but mainly Xi and I wanted to honor Chris for the great musician he was.) I am not here to blame anyone for why we didn't get to speak, but there are time constraints with these shows and the whole time Rick was talking there was a monitor flashing "wrap it up". Also, for the record, I didn't refuse to go up and talk. After Rick was done he handed me the award but everyone was just being ushered off stage. The whole thing was awkward. I know Rick's heart and he didn't do anything to diss me, Xilan or Chris. I think it was just not planned very well. I really should have gone and spoken before Rick..."

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?83873-Dear-Rick/page11

It seems like she's okay with it, which is pretty classy of her. I really don't think Wakeman wanted to take her time. He's a funny guy, and when he gets going, he just keeps going. It just bothered me that he couldn't help himself.

In the end, I just see it as another example of how dysfunctional Yes has become. Amazing musicians, but they're human, too.

Sad that it took this long and that one of the key members, Chris Squire, did not live to see it. I'm over the R&R Hall of ...whatever...

Well, Wakeman initially said he wouldn't attend but then changed his mind in January:

I am very pleased to announce that as the Hall of Fame have now agreed to present Chris Squire’s wife with a posthumous award acknowledging his massive contribution to YES, I have agreed to attend the Induction ceremony in New York to both stand proudly with my fellow band mates Jon and Trevor and also to watch Chris’s wife Scottie collect this well deserved award on his behalf."

http://www.rwcc.com/gorr_1701.asp

So back in January it seemed like it was a big deal that she get some acknowledgement. Squire's wife Scottie wrote after the Hall of Fame event:

"for the record....I was supposed to talk after Rick. He said he was going to introduce me. I had a very nice speech prepared to honor Chris, and Xilan and I wanted on Chris' behalf to thank everyone, especially the fans (but mainly Xi and I wanted to honor Chris for the great musician he was.) I am not here to blame anyone for why we didn't get to speak, but there are time constraints with these shows and the whole time Rick was talking there was a monitor flashing "wrap it up". Also, for the record, I didn't refuse to go up and talk. After Rick was done he handed me the award but everyone was just being ushered off stage. The whole thing was awkward. I know Rick's heart and he didn't do anything to diss me, Xilan or Chris. I think it was just not planned very well. I really should have gone and spoken before Rick..."

http://www.yesfans.com/showthread.php?83873-Dear-Rick/page11

It seems like she's okay with it, which is pretty classy of her. I really don't think Wakeman wanted to take her time. He's a funny guy, and when he gets going, he just keeps going. It just bothered me that he couldn't help himself.

In the end, I just see it as another example of how dysfunctional Yes has become. Amazing musicians, but they're human, too.
I think you're way too emotionally invested in this.

Glad to see Yes inducted. Personally, I gave up on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as they continue to fail to induct Leslie Gore. Who among us didn't squeal to mega songs like It's My Party, Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows, and the perennial feminist theme "You Don't Own Me." I mean, come on.

Back
Top Bottom