Yek's presets for cover songs [updated: Oct 11 2023]

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Updated: 2023, Oct 11

Attached are the presets I made and use for cover songs, playing live. There's a list of the songs in post #4.

Disclaimer: if you load these presets, you may find that the sound doesn’t resemble the guitar sound on the original recording. Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD...

I believe in a consistent guitar sound in a band setting, so I use just two amp models in these presets and a single cab.
Current amps are Deluxe Verb and Plexi.
The cab is the 4x12 Marshall TV dyna-cab with condenser mic.
I prefer raw, unprocessed amp tones, and add effects to my liking, whether they can be heard in the original song or not.

I use a single set of presets, regardless of guitar or amplifying setup. Output 1 is for FOH, mono or stereo. Output 2 goes to a neutral power amp and traditional speaker cabinet.

Created on the Axe-Fx III, firmware 23 Public Beta.

BTW, most of these presets can be loaded into the FM3 and FM9, but in some cases will cause a CPU overload, or some blocks will not be imported. The omitted blocks include Delay 3 (oscillating echo, see below), Pitch 2 (mostly detune), Plex Delay 2, Reverb 2, Synth 2. In general, delete empty parallel rows unless it's obvious that they're needed. Make sure to check the Preset Translation log under the Help menu after each import.

I use RJM’s Mastermind GT/22 foot controller, with additional external buttons. The FC controllers are certainly the best choice for most users, but I use RJM because it fits my workflow.

I've downscaled to a single expression pedal (External Controller 1) which switches between Wah, Feedback, Whammy and more. If you don't have pedals or switches, just switch the External Controller 1 Initial Value parameter in the MIDI/Remote menu from 0% to 100% to hear what it does.

Below are the common elements of my grid layout. Most blocks are "Global" blocks in my Axe-Fx III, but I've unlinked them in the enclosed presets.
  • Input 1: Intelligent type (make sure to set ACLineFrequency in Setup > Global correctly).
  • Volume 1: for automatic volume swells.
  • Filter 2: "pre" boost (5.5 dB). I use this with guitars with single coils.
  • I sometimes use the Multiplexer to switch the single expression pedal between Wah and Whammy.
  • Compressor: mostly the Dynacomp type.
  • Phaser, Rotary, Tremolo, Flanger, Chorus
  • Drives 1 + 2 : my favorite drives, 2 x 4 channels = 8 drives. Drive 1 = T808, Octavia, Face Fuzz, Tape. Drive 2 = Klon, Klon+, Mid Boost, OCD.
  • GEQ 1: bumps the level for soloing (around 3 dB).
  • Delay 1 (series): my regular delay block. Each channel provides a different delay.
  • Delay 3 (parallel): oscillating echo, engaged through External Controller 3. I add this to almost every preset. Note that this will not transfer to the FM3 and FM9, leaving an empty parallel row which you should delete.
  • Reverb: I don't always use reverb. Depending on the preset, I use it before (Spring) or after the Amp block. In Economy mode, to save CPU usage.
  • Plex Delay: ambient reverb and shimmer effects.
  • Out 1 is for FRFR, with cab modeling.
  • Out 2, without cab modeling, sends the signal to my power amp and traditional speaker cabinet.

Last edited:
I was hoping that you'd share your presets as I'm still using a modified version of your Black Keys preset from the Axe II. Thanks brother!

List of included presets:

[edited on Aug 2 2023]

Alive, by Pearl Jam

All My Life, by Foo Fighters

Always on the run, by Lenny Kravitz

American Idiot, by Green Day

Angels, by Robbie Williams

Are You Gonna Go My Way, by Lenny Kravitz

Are You Gonna Be My Girl, by Jet

Basket Case, by Green Day

Beautiful Day, by U2

Bitter Sweet Symphony, by The Verve

Black, by Pearl Jam

Blow, by Ed Sheeran

Break On Through, by The Doors

Bright Lights, by Gary Clark Jr

Caught in the Middle, by The Temperance Movement

Chelsea Dagger, by The Fratellis

Come Together, by Gary Clarke Jr

Could You Be Loved, by Bob Marley

Creep, by Radiohead

Don't Look Back In Anger, by Oasis

Do Ya Feel My Love, by Stereophonics

Do You Want To, by Franz Ferdinand

Drive, by Incubus

Even Flow, by Peal Jam

Everlong, by Foo Fighters

Fade Out Lines, by The Avener and Phoebe Killdeer

Give It Away, by The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, by Coldplay

Have a Nice Day, by The Stereophonics

Heroes, by David Bowie / Hollywood Vampires

Highway to hell, by AC/DC

How You Like Me Now, by The Heavy

Howlin' For You, by The Black Keys

I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor, by The Arctic Monkeys

Iedereen Is Van De Wereld, by The Scene

Iron Sky, by Paolo Nutini

Jean Genie, by David Bowie

Killer, by George Michael

Killing in the Name, by Rage Against The Machine

Lithium, by Nirvana

Lonely Boy, by SONS

Love Me Two Times, by The Doors

Misirlou, by Dick Dale

Mr Brightside, by The Killers

No Good, by Kaleo

No One Knows, by Queens of the Stone Age

One Way or Another, by Blondie

Psycho, by Muse

Purple Rain, by Prince

Remedy, by The Black Crowes

Roadhouse Blues, by The Doors

7 Nation Army, by The White Stripes

Sex on Fire, by Kings of Leon

Somebody To Love, by Queen / George Michael

Song 2, by Blur

Steady As She Goes, by The Raconteurs

Stil In Mij, by Van Dik Hout

Take Me Out, by Franz Ferdinand

The Jean Genie, by David Bowie

The Pretender, by Foo Fighters

Tie Your Mother Down, by Queen

Thunderstruck, by AC/DC

Tick Tick Boom, by The Hives

Use Somebody, by Kings of Leon

Walk This Way, by Run DMC/Aerosmith

War Pigs, by Black Sabbath

Whole Lotta Love, by Led Zeppelin

Wonderwall, by Oasis

Last edited:
Great stuff, thank you!

So far, I have always limited myself to using one pedal, mainly for Wah. Never found the use of dialing in extra gain/effect during live performances. And volume, well, I try to be strong and let the sound guy manage that for me because otherwise I get angry bandmates ;-)

However, now I see how you use it overall, I might be tempted to get a second pedal after all...

Will try some of your sounds tomorrow, and maybe even revisit some of the songs you mentioned to be put on the shortlist of our band... whenever we get to play again live because all our gigs got cancelled in April, may and June...

The way I use the pedal only impacts gain, not volume. Previously I used my guitar's volume controls, but I prefer it this way. Also because managing volume on a Gibson LP in the middle position is finicky.
I'm using a Dunlop X Mini pedal or an EV-5 for this.
Hm, I use my volume and tone pots a lot actually, especially on my Les Paul (... middle position can be nasty...) and on my Duesenberg.
Gain in a pedal is too hard for me: "where am I, on 20%, 60%, 80%?"... maybe just needs getting used to.

Hm, I use my volume and tone pots a lot actually, especially on my Les Paul (... middle position can be nasty...) and on my Duesenberg.
Gain in a pedal is too hard for me: "where am I, on 20%, 60%, 80%?"... maybe just needs getting used to.

Advantage of the EV-5 is that you can set a minimum position. Alternatively you can do this in the modifier menu. Then it's just a case of either full-blown gain (max), dialed-back gain (min), or inbetween. Works for me.

Last edited:
Bright Lights, by Gary Clark Jr
  • For single coils.
  • Impedance: 90k.
  • Two Fuzzfaces in series, before a Fender clean amp tone. Why two? Because we can.
  • Deluxe Spring Reverb before the amp.
  • Compressor for sustaining fuzz notes in the intro.
  • Tremolo in the 2nd and 3rd verse.
  • Dimension chorus sound inn 2nd and 3rd chorus.
  • Uni-vibe (channel B of my Phaser global block) in the solo.
  • Usual Wah, Pitch (feedback) and oscillating Delay blocks.

View attachment 68342
Never heard this song before. I really like the feel of this. Although it's pretty much a one chord song.
And just now I find out that you made the song titles clickable to it's respective YT versions... amaaaazing ;-)

Never heard this song before. I really like the feel of this. Although it's pretty much a one chord song.
And just now I find out that you made the song titles clickable to it's respective YT versions... amaaaazing ;-)

Check this live version, with two drummers, horns and all (and some technical PA issues):

or this, with much better soloing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom