Yek's Presets for MkI/MkII (v15.03) and Blog

Out of curiosity, through home owner's insurance?

Yes. There's a "Valuables" section in my insurance, which covers art, instruments, jewelry etc. Also covers transportation / away from home (read: gigs).

I was jus seeing the video for the Dutch axe fest that you did about doing presets. You used one preset in the video when you say that is a Van Halen preset. Is that preset and others that you used in your demonstration in your presets, or were those presets created there? They were like high gain crunchy presets and sounded great. You were using a Suhr guitar in the video.

I watched the video again and you played "Lightning crashes" and then you talk about a band that you saw ( i did not understand which band because of the audio) and they used axe fx and you proceed to play their preset. Do that preset is available in your downloadable presets?

I watched the video again and you played "Lightning crashes" and then you talk about a band that you saw ( i did not understand which band because of the audio) and they used axe fx and you proceed to play their preset. Do that preset is available in your downloadable presets?

Ah, that's the deftones. Those presets can be found here:
Fractal Audio Systems - Stef Carpenter Deftones Artist Preset Pack Released
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...n-c-deftones-week-check-out-our-progress.html

Yes, that's a Deftones preset, don't know which one.

The EVH preset after that, may be the VH preset Cliff made for v11 (don't know the origin anymore), or Progressive Rocco's, or Adam's.

Excellent lecture Yek. But here's a sound engineer's gripe!! "Stop fiddling with the microphone and stand!!"

This is my pet hate with non-instrument-playing male singers. Plus they stomp up and down to the rhythm on the mike stand legs. This breaks the legs eventually and makes this unattractive thumping sound which they hear through their monitors. When they hear it they stop stomping to listen, so they think t's something bad I'm doing to their vocal... Women don't seem to do this stuff. I think it's because they think more about their singing than the rock posing bit (IMHO).

But I know why you were doing it. We guitarists are always doing something with our hands, so the desire to fiddle is perfectly natural. But as father probably said, don't fiddle in public! :)

But more interestingly, it's probably only with a Axe that you think really hard about the exact tones well-known guitarists actually use for live gigs. I thought your audience learned a huge amount about minimising reverbs, tone (more top end that you'd think) and blending into a live mix. Great to see your lecture - thanks.

Reactions: yek
Haha, you are so right. Embarrassing to watch me struggle. Lol

That was lesson 1, next time use a headset.

Absolutely - any sort of computer tweaking or other activity like guitar playing when lecturing requires a headset - and the lap top at standing eye level, with the podium and screen in the right places. But you did well despite all this!!

Monthly update again. Files in OP are updated.

Change log .... ehhh..... I lost my notes, so as far as I remember:

- Moved some presets to Bank B, including my 2nd preset with "spare" amp models. Renamed and reordered some presets.
- Repaired mistakes in / improved presets, including MultiDelay settings, internal controllers, routing issues, some EQ-ing.

About IR Capture:

This morning I created my first IR. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've never messed with IR Capture before... :eek:ops
It's an IR of my Port City 1x12 Wave, with a Austin Speaker Works KTS-70.

It was a matter of minutes.

1) Aimed a Shure SM57 at the cap (I think), right against the grill cloth of the cabinet.
2) Mic goes into a small Behringer mixer.
3) Mixer output into Input 2 Left.
4) Axe-Fx Output 2 Left into Matrix.
5) Matrix into the cabinet.

IR Capture set to Ultra-Res (Global).

Used TEST to set levels on the mixer (no clipping) and Axe-Fx (Output 2 knob). Eh, first time I nearly blew my ears... :stupid:
No need to mess with other I/O settings, Output 1 Level, presets etc.

Then performed the capture. My neighbors probably think I'm testing an alarm system.

Saved the result to an user slot. Only after I discovered I had to specify the user slot and name first, before selecting SAVE.

Also dumped the result to an external file directly, using the DUMP command and SYSEX LIBRARIAN to receive the file.

The result: simply amazing. Crystal clear. Didn't foresee how easy it is and good the result would be.
Ready for immediate use. :excitement:

Last edited:
Many thanks Yek.

Does the ease and accuracy of this raise the interesting question (once again obviously), of do we need FRFR backline?

I think it's fair to say that FRFR backline is more expensive than alternatives, and requires considerable tweaking (but we like the latter, and seem reconciled to the former). I've never worried about not hearing precisely what the FOH is delivering to the audience: because I don't hear it, and the sound guy blends it into the mix anyway (plus I'm not trying reproduce my sound from a best selling album or anything...).

Also, the way an FOH produces the sound makes it unlikely that backline is going to sound the same; from one 12 inch coax or a 2-way, from a monitor, unmixed, rather from than two FOH stacks.... It's chalk and cheese, and they don't make the same noise when you poke em'.

FRFR backline would sound a lot more like what the audience hears if you also mixed everything else in with your guitar... So I can see why you might want to carry round your own high grade monitor.

But we all like the guitar to be louder in our own mix... And probably the best way to do that if you've IR'd your backline sound, is through the actual speakers and cab you IR'd...?

Or have I got this all wrong?

Last edited:
About IR Capture:

This morning I created my first IR. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've never messed with IR Capture before... :eek:ops
It's an IR of my Port City 1x12 Wave, with a Austin Speaker Works KTS-70.

It was a matter of minutes.

The result: simply amazing. Crystal clear. Didn't foresee how easy it is and good the result would be.
Ready for immediate use. :excitement:

I'm now going to fine-tune the IR by experimenting with the mic position. To be shared soon.

Very cool. Thanks Yek. Isn't it fun when we find a new toy that's been laying around? :D

Many thanks Yek.

Does the ease and accuracy of this raise the interesting question (once again obviously), of do we need FRFR backline?

I think it's fair to say that FRFR backline is more expensive than alternatives, and requires considerable tweaking (but we like the latter, and seem reconciled to the former). I've never worried about not hearing precisely what the FOH is delivering to the audience: because I don't hear it, and the sound guy blends it into the mix anyway (plus I'm not trying reproduce my sound from a best selling album or anything...).

Also, the way an FOH produces the sound makes it unlikely that backline is going to sound the same; from one 12 inch coax or a 2-way, from a monitor, unmixed, rather from than two FOH stacks.... It's chalk and cheese, and they don't make the same noise when you poke em'.

FRFR backline would sound a lot more like what the audience hears if you also mixed everything else in with your guitar... So I can see why you might want to carry round your own high grade monitor.

But we all like the guitar to be louder in our own mix... And probably the best way to do that if you've IR'd your backline sound, is through the actual speakers and cab you IR'd...?

Or have I got this all wrong?

I don't know, really. IMHO there's no right or wrong.
I just know what I prefer.

For backline purposes I prefer to run my Axe-Fx into a power amp and one of my cabinets.
That works better to fill a room, IMHO, than FR monitoring.

The IR I'm creating allows me to have a similar tone (mic'd with a SM57) through my monitors: at home, for recording, FOH.
And when I take my CLR(s) with me for monitoring. I favor using those for acoustic tones.

I don't know, really. IMHO there's no right or wrong.
I just know what I prefer.

For backline purposes I prefer to run my Axe-Fx into a power amp and one of my cabinets.
That works better to fill a room, IMHO, than FR monitoring.

The IR I'm creating allows me to have a similar tone (mic'd with a SM57) through my monitors: at home, for recording, FOH.
And when I take my CLR(s) with me for monitoring. I favor using those for acoustic tones.

I completely agree with you on all this. I've been using my own J45 on some songs, and it does have to go through the PA and fold back, as the backline feeds back (although using an NL12 it sounds pretty good). DO you have one of the CLR's pointing forwards, to fill out the 'gap' when filling a small room with backline?

I bring the CLRs only for monitoring purposes, as wedges.

Whenever I need to fill the room (small gigs, rehearsals), I take one of the cabs with me.

Back
Top Bottom