Yek's Presets for MkI/MkII (v15.03) and Blog

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
Updated: July 25th 2014

My updated presets for firmware 15.03. Right-click a link, select Save or Download and unzip the downloaded file(s).

These are presets I created, plus tweaked factory presets / presets from other users.*
Made on and exported from an Axe-Fx II, Mark II.

Dialed in for FR monitoring/direct-to-FOH. Also suited for power amp + speaker cabinet (with cabinet simulation disabled) and for headphones.

I use these presets with single coils and humbuckers.

Global blocks
  • I use global blocks in my presets. For your convenience I unlinked these in the first 2 zipped files above. Those files contain exported presets, not Banks.
  • If you want the presets including operational global blocks, you need the BANK A and SYSTEM BANK files contained in the 3rd zipped archive. First use Fractal-Bot to send the System Bank to your Axe-Fx and reboot your Axe-Fx. Then send Preset Bank A to the Axe-Fx (Fractal-Bot) or use Axe-Edit to pick presets from that bank file.
    BE CAREFUL! Uploading a preset bank and system bank to your Axe-Fx overwrites your current presets, configuration adjustments, all global block data and the first 50 user cabs!
Expression Pedals
  • External controller 1 = pedal (with spring).
  • External controller 2 = pedal (no spring).
  • External controller 3 = pedal (no spring).
  • Some presets have more than one programmed scene, so it's handy to have a "scene" switch on your MFC, such as Scene 2, or Scene 1/2, or Scene Incr.
Global, I/O and Tuner
  • Power amp simulation: On
  • Cabinet simulation: On (required for OUT1)
  • Spillover: Both
  • Global EQ: default (depending on room/amplification)
  • Amp Gain: 0
  • Tuner Input: Mute
  • Input 1 Left Select: Front
  • Input 1 Mode: Left Only
  • Output 1 Mode: Stereo
  • Output 2 Mode: Copy L>R (mono) or Stereo (depending on amplification)
  • Mapping Mode: Custom. Presets 1-4 mapped to preset 000, scenes 2-5
  • Scene Revert: On
  • Ignore Redundant PC: On
  • Ext Ctrl 5 Init Val: 0% or 100% (see below)
Amplification: Studio Monitors, FRFR amplification, direct-to-FOH
  • My equipment: Atomic CLR active wedges.
  • This is the direct signal with cabinet simulation. Turn up OUT1 on the front panel to hear sound.
  • I'm using a single Cab block in UltraRes mode. It's placed right after the Amp block in the presets. The stereo signal comes from blocks after the Cab block. I'm using a single stock cab for all basic tones (Cab is always set to "X"). Mic simulation is off, because the IR has baked-in mic coloration.
  • I/O > Output 1 Mode is set to Stereo. I use Copy L>R to switch the signal to mono when using a single monitor at rehearsals. Do not use Sum L+R for output mode: this may cause phase cancellation.
  • When using FR monitoring "live", I engage a PEQ to add body/thump to the sound. The PEQ also applies high-pass to make the signal fit better in the mix. I engage/bypass the PEQ across all presets at once through I/O > MIDI > Ext Ctrl 5 Init Val. It's bypassed when playing at home.
  • Presets with "ir" in their names link to specific user cabs. Slot 2 contains the acoustic guitar body IR, UltraRes version. Slot 3 contains James Santiago's EchoPlex IR.
Amplification: Power Amp and Cabinet
  • I use the same presets when playing through my neutral power amp (Matrix GT1000FX) and one of my traditional Port City cabinets: 2x12 Wave Vertical with EVM 12L + ASW KTS-70 speakers / 1x12 Wave with ASW KTS-70.
  • When doing this, I disable Cabinet Modeling in the global menu, set Output 2 Echo to: Output 1, and Output 2 Mode to: Copy L>R.
Amp Blocks
  • Most presets contain one or two Amp blocks.
  • The first preset is dedicated to my 6 main amp tones, using 6 scenes: clean (Morgan AC-20 Deluxe) - rhythm (Friedman BE) - rock (idem) - heavy (idem) - lead (ODS) - lead (Tucana).
  • I use scene controllers to dial in the amount of amp gain in the Friedman BE scenes. I use some output compression in the amp models. I use external controller 4 to engage the Boost switch in the Morgan and Saturation in the BE (first preset only).
  • Advanced amp parameters in my global amp blocks are at default mostly. I do adjust Dynamic Presence and Out Comp sometimes.
List of Presets
  • The pictures below show my presets in the correct order with MFC Bank Size set to 5, and my first 50 user cabs.
  • The preset name indicates if a preset contains multiple scenes.
1503list.png

1503cabs.png

Grid Template and Global Blocks
  • My default grid template features the effects shown below, saved as global blocks.
  • I use Input Gain to set the effect level of Reverb/Delay, while keeping Mix/Level at fixed levels, to normalize delay/reverb spillover when switching presets. Input gate settings are modest. Output mixer settings are default.
  • All presets work equally well in stereo and mono. See the cautionary note above about avoiding summing to mono!
1503grid.png

• VOL — attached to Envelope, for automatic volume swells.
  • WAH — External 1.
  • PHASER — emulating a Phase 90 (X) or Uni-Vibe (Y).
  • FLANGER — "jet"-type Flanger.
  • FEEDBACK SEND/RETURN — extending the chain to another row in some presets.
  • DRIVE — Tubescreamer (X) or Fuzz (Y).
  • AMP(s) — clean (Amp 1) and dirty (Amp 2) tones.
  • CAB — UltraRes cab block.
  • ROTARY — Leslie, rate controlled by External 2.
  • CHORUS — Dimension D (X) or Vibrato (Y).
  • TREMOLO — rate controlled by External 2.
  • DELAY1 — short delay.
  • DELAY2 — longer, louder wider delay.
  • REVERB — X for clean tones, Y for dirty tones. When playing live I set the Y state's Input Gain to zero, to mute reverb when using dirty tones.
  • GEQ — volume level boost for leads.
  • PEQ — when using FR amplification at loud volume: to boost the low mids for more thump and apply high-pass. Engaged through I/O > MIDI.
MFC-101, Pedals
  • Most of the time I'm in MFC bank 001, with direct access to my main tones as explained above (single preset with scenes).
  • Mission EP-1 expression pedal (no switch, with spring), attached to External 1 (CC 16), indicated by "P" or "P1" in preset titles. It auto-engages the Wah. The pedal does other stuff too, as indicated in some preset titles.
  • The 2nd expression pedal ("P2"), attached to External 2, controls the rate of Rotary and Tremolo in my main preset,. It performs various stuff in other presets. It has no spring so it's better suited to set it and leave it.
  • The 3rd expression pedal ("P3"), attached to External 3, performs various stuff, such as adding shimmer. It has no spring so it's better suited to set it and leave it.
  • The preset switches in the first MFC bank recall scenes instead of presets, by making use of Mapping on the Axe-Fx.
  • A lot of presets have 2 scenes, so I have a dedicated "Scene Incr".
1502mfc.jpg

MFC Configuration
  • SETUP: Axe-Fx Mode II — Preset Mode — BankSize 5 — BankStyle None — Bank/Song Limit 014 — Wrap Off — Switch Types Toggle — Global No —*Send w/Preset No —*Switch Links: no — GlobalPreset Off — HoldTap=Tuner Off
  • MIDI: TotalSync Off — IA01 PHA1 XY — IA02 DRV1 XY — IA03 CHO1 XY — IA04 Rotary 1 — IA05 Tempo — IA06 None (CC19 = External 4) — IA07 Drive 1 — IA08 GEQ 2 — IA09 Volume 1 — IA10 Delay 1 — IA11 Phaser 1 — IA12 Flanger 1 — IA13 Chorus 1 — IA14 Tremolo 1 — IA15 Delay 2 — IA16 SCN INCR — IA17 Tuner — XS.. OFF — XP1 016 BegOFF — XP2 017 BegOFF — XP3 018 BegOFF
* Credit for ideas to Fractal Audio, M@, Javajunkie, Simeon, Bakerman, Swedish Chef, Raca, Fremen, AustinBuddy, Larry Mitchell and others.

Last edited:
The presets explained:

• You can use these presets in stereo or mono.
  • A couple of presets require external IRs (user cabs). See download sources in post above.
  • Some presets depend on internal controllers (Envelope, Sequencer, LFO, etc.).
  • Many presets require at least one expression pedal (External 1). For optimal use, a 2nd expression pedal is required (External 2).
  • If you have AMP1 and AMP2 IA switches on your foot controller, you can switch between clean and dirty tones in many presets.

Cln.BE.BE+.BE++
My main preset. Clean tone in scene 1. Dirty tones in scenes 2, 3 and 4, where gain is controlled by a scene controller.
Pedal 1: wah. Pedal 2: rotary and tremolo speed.

VerbP2.Swell
Scene 1 = basic clean tone, with reverb controlled by Pedal 2.
Scene 2 = automated volume swells, like a Boss Slow Gear pedal. Mute the strings before hitting to make it work.
Pedal 1 adds shimmer to both scenes.

Dim.Detune
Scene 1 = Dimension D chorus.
Scene 2 = clean tone with added detuned pitch (micro pitch).
Pedal 1 adds the crystals effect to both scenes.

Slap.Tape
Scene 1 = slapback delay. Plus: pedal 1 simulates either a raygun or crazy delay effects, depending on the position of pedal 2.
Scene 2 = mono tape delay. Plus: pedal 2 generates oscillating feedback, and pedal 1 drops the motor speed and feedback, causing the pitch to go down and fade out.

Ld.Swel.ODS.Tuc
Various lead tones, in 4 scenes. Scene 2 automates volume swells.
Pedal 1: wah. Pedal 2: Whammy.

AC2.AC2Lead.Eng
Alternatives to my main amp tones, in scenes.

AcouSim.Acoustic
Scene 1 = turning single coils into an acoustic guitar. Uses the IR of an acoustic guitar body.
Scene 2 = processes a real acoustic guitar with active pickup.[/list]

Bend.Face.Oc.JH
Scene 1 = Bender fuzz.
Scene 1 = Fuzz Face.
Scene 3 = Octavia. Play with neck pickup around the 12th fret.
Scene 3 = Jimi Hendrix. A fuzz and Uni-Vibe.

EP.Cath
Scene 1 = EchoPlex simulation. Uses Santiago's EchoPlex IR.
Scene 2 = Cathedral, automated volume swells with delay. Make sure to mute the strings before hitting a note. Use pedal 1 for more delay feedback in both scenes.
Scene 3 = bypasses the effects.

P=Ebow.P=Church
Scene 1 = (sort of) Ebow simulation. Use pedal 1 for fade in.
Scene 2 = use pedal 1 to simulate a church organ.
Scene 3 = bypasses the effects.

QTron.EnvPhaser
Scene 1 = simulation of the Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron.
Scene 2 = envelope-controlled phaser, based on a factory preset.

Env_P2.NoQ.Zvex
Scene 1 = envelope filter (auto-wah). The effect depends on the pickup and attack strength. Use pedal 2 to add a low octave.
Scene 2 = Led Zeppelin's NoQuarter effect. Based on a factory preset.
Scene 3 = Zvex's Seek Wah simulation.

Mutron.Mutron
Scene 1 = Mutron-type envelope filter, upward filter.
Scene 2 = Mutron-type envelope filter, downward filter.

TalkBx.FilteR
Scene 1 = simulates a Talk Box, using pedal 1 for the vowels.
Scene 2 = tweaked "FilteRing" factory preset.

RingMod
Use pedal 1 to increase the presence of a ring modulator. Use pedal 2 to increase its pitch.

CE.TriCh.Vibrato
Scene 1 = Boss CE-1 simulation.
Scene 2 = Tri-Chorus simulation, a famous studio device from the 80s.
Scene 3 = Vibrato, 100% wet chorus. Pedal 2 controls its rate.

Vibe.Ph90.BiPhase
Scene 1 = Uni-Vibe.
Scene 2 = based on the MXR Phase 90.
Scene 3 = Biphase, based on the model in the Line 6 MM4 pedal.

ElecMistres.TZF
Scene 1 = Electric Mistress simulation, the famous flanger tone of Andy Summers (The Police).
Scene 2 = through-zero flanging.

Leslie.Tremolo
Scene 1 = rotary speaker (Leslie). Use pedal 2 to change speed.
Scene 2 = tremolo. Use pedal 2 to change speed.

2290U2.PingPong
Scene 1 = TC Electronic 2290-style delay, with slight modulation of the delay trails.
Scene 2 = ping pong delay.
Pedal 1 adds shimmer in both scenes.

Reversed
A trippy reversed delay, based on a factory preset.
Pedal 1 adds through-zero flanging.

PulseVelvet
Scene 1 = rhythmic delay effect, where pedal 2 fades in a background effect (based om the Velvet factory preset).
Scene 2 = dry tone with background effect (pedal).
Scene 3 = just the background effect (pedal).

Whammy.Bomb
Scene 1 = Whammy, controlled by pedal 1.
Scene 2 = dive bomb, controlled by pedal 2.

AddLow.AddHi
Scene 1 = added low octave.
Scene 2 = added high octave.
Scene 3 = bypasses pitch shifting.

Add7.Add5
Scene 1 = adds a 7th.
Scene 2 = adds a 5th.
Scene 3 = bypasses pitch shifting.

C#maj.Feedb
Scene 1 = lead tone with intelligent harmony in key of major C#.
Scene 2 = pedal 1 fades in simulated feedback.

FixedWah.KorgA3
Scene 1 = a "cocked" wah (fixed position).
Scene 2 = Korg A3 simulation, used in U2's Mysterious Ways.

LoFi.TreB.Vinyl
Scene 1 = heavily filtered"lo-fi" tone, based on the On A Phone factory preset.
Scene 1 = clean tone with a treble booster.
Scene 1 = sound of a vinyl recording, with crackle, hiss and all, based on the Vinyl factory preset.

Vocoder
Requires a mic into Input 2 and set Input 2 Mode to Left.

LowPass
Use pedal 2 to for a low-pass effect.

AmbientSwells
Wide volume swells, based on Holdsworth.

Freeze.MtD
Scene 1 = press pedal 2 to freeze-and-hold the tone, and play over it.
Scene 2 = MultiDelay for an ambient clean tone.

--.AmbiLoop
Scene 1 = muted to prevent spillover issues.
Scene 2 = Ambient looping preset. Use pedal 1 to make sound.

Pad.Flashback
Scene 1 = synth pad.
Scene 2 = movie/television flashback jingle, based on a factory preset.

Organ
Hammond organ simulation. Use pedal 1 to change the Rotary speed. Use pedal 2 to add drive.

Synflute.Flute
2 flute sounds in 2 scenes. The 2nd one sounds natural.

Sitar
A sitar simulation.

Tampura (Eb)
Use pedal 2 to fade in a drone note in Eb. Uses an "acoustic" IR.

Strings.Fast
Scene 1 = violin string simulation, slow attack.
Scene 2 = violin string simulation, fast attack.
Use pedal 2 to turn the chord from minor into major.

Violin
Simulation of a single violin. Uses an "acoustic" IR. Use pedal 1 turn it into an ensemble in A minor.

--.Forlorn
Scene 1= muted to prevent spillover issues.
Scene 2= tweaked factory preset.

FunkySyn.SynBas
Scene 1 = funky synth, based on a factory preset.
Scene 2 = bass synth.

LeadSyn.Daft
Scene 1 = Lead Moog-ish synth sound.
Scene 2 = based on a sound by Daft Punk.

FatSyn
Fat Moog sound. Use pedal 1 to modulate.

MoogTaurus
Simulation of the famous synth bass pedal.

Vangelis.Drone
Scene 1 = simulation of a Vangelis synth sound.
Scene 2 = added drone note.

Poly=Verb
A "dance" sound, tuned in A minor. Use pedal 1 for more reverb.

PinkFl
Pink Floyd-ish. A fuzz tone on top of a drone note. Use pedal 2 to fade in the drone note. Switch between scenes to change the drone note's pitch.

Sequencer
Bass synth. Use Tap tempo

Looper
A preset with the Looper block in it.

DropFull.Half.-
Simulate a drop-tuned guitar. Applies a trick by Simeon to reduce the perceived latency.
Scene 1 = tuning dropped a full note.
Scene 2 = tuning dropped a half note.
Scene 3 = bypassed.
Tip: to simulate 3 semi tones dropped tuning, engage both Pitch blocks.

Police
Police siren simulation. Engage pedal 2 to hear the sound effect.

AirRaid
Air raid alarm simulation. Engage pedal 2 to hear the sound effect.

Motor
Simulation of a hot rodded chopper. Engage pedal 2 to hear the effect, hit the strings to "accelerate".

ThunderWind
Wind blowing (use pedal 2) and thunder (hit the strings).

Birds
Tweet tweet tweet... Use pedal 2 to hear the birds.

Line-In
Connect a music player to Input 2 (set to stereo), and select this preset to play music through the Axe-Fx.

Find LRF
Use this preset to discover the resonating frequency of a real cabinet (power amp connected to Out2). Palm mute the low E string and hit it while recording it in the Looper. Play the loop and change the frequency in the Filter to find the frequency where the cab start to respond.

Reamping
For reamping a dry signal. Input must be set to USB.

Amp=Pedal
This preset demonstrates how to use the Amp block to simulate a pedal. 3 scenes.

Routing
Demonstrates how to switch between two routings on the grid using a pedal or switch (external 2).

AmpInTheRoom
Generates an amp-in-the-room tone through FR amplification.

Mic No Preamp
For connecting a microphone, with added level to compensate a missing preamp.

Line-In > Out2
Demonstrates how to send the signal from Input 2 to Output 2.

Out1:FR Out2:Cab
Demonstrates how to send a signal to Out1 (FR) and to Out2 (power amp and cab).

2xGuitar
To connect two guitars. One through the front input, one through rear input 1 Right. Input 1 Mode must be set to Stereo.

FakeBass
Use a guitar to simulate a bass.

Last edited:
Thanks Yek! An advanced tutorial in creative patch building. I will have to study these for quite a while to even make full use of them. What a generous contribution to the community as others have said, THANK YOU!

Really sir (in this case yek) posts like this are the reason I joined the forums after I got my Axe. I was a long time lurker and usually don't join forums because of the behaviour there (and yes i know here are some flame threads too), but all in all I hoped to find adult people here, which share the same interessent... a good sound.

Thanks again for your work (especially the wiki btw.). :shock

Hi Yek,

Thank you for sharing these files but also your knowledge.
I had a of fun with your V9.2 preset and was looking forward to V10.

I think that you had the most views on your last thread ( more then dubbel), so your effort is much appreciated by many many axe fx users.

Thanks again.

Greeting Rob

Thank you for spending the time to share this great collection of presets with us.
First chance I've had to sit down and run through some presets on V10..... They sound awesome.
When I downloaded your main 2 presets the HBE one comes up in Axe edit as the Cln one, may be just me...

As usual, your continued work on the documentation and the sharing of knowledge regarding Axe-Fx products is simply astounding. Your exceptional organizational skills really help to convey a better understanding of how to utilize most of the tools available in the Axe as well as how to be efficient in the use of those tools. A big thanks to the other contributors that you have benefitted from as well! Well done sir!

Back
Top Bottom