Yek's Presets for MkI/MkII (v15.03) and Blog

Hi Yek,

Many thanks on your latest. I've just enjoyed a load of listening and tweaking - and really like how you've rationalised it all so sensibly. WHo needs to switch from wha to whammy for example in the same patch? Reducing cpu usage is key. The 'bomb' scene in 008 is great, as is having a dedicated whammy-down patch. We do a version of the Doors "Hello I love You", so with a duck delay on tap, and an ex pedal set to increase feedback, 008 gets an amazing sound for that including the dive-bomb key change for verse 3. There's also a great SRV sound in patch 003.

My J45 likes 006. One thought, especially if you use this patch in the same gigs as you use your backline cab.... including the Output 2 FXL Out line with an amp and drive into a mixer controlled by an expression pedal - to blend in a touch of dirt in the middle of the normally wide acoustic sound. I'd maybe attach an exp to the drive as well, to bring both up gently under control....

It's great that you've kept 006 as PA only - makes total sense. This Output 2 idea is part of me thinking about using the Axe a bit more imaginatively in my solo acoustic shows.

I'm also going to do the opposite for the electric shows: use Output 2 for backline amp, with a Lehle switch to bring stereo Output 1 into the PA for wide choruses and other modulations as a special effect.

If there's a way of doing this using a mixer block before Output One, that would save the Lehle and some cables. Even better, maybe a Scene in which the modulations switch to 100% wet to go only to Output One... I haven't quite got my head round how to do this yet....

But many thanks - again - for the excellent system and patches.

Reactions: yek
Hi Yek,

Many thanks on your latest. I've just enjoyed a load of listening and tweaking - and really like how you've rationalised it all so sensibly. WHo needs to switch from wha to whammy for example in the same patch? Reducing cpu usage is key. The 'bomb' scene in 008 is great, as is having a dedicated whammy-down patch. We do a version of the Doors "Hello I love You", so with a duck delay on tap, and an ex pedal set to increase feedback, 008 gets an amazing sound for that including the dive-bomb key change for verse 3. There's also a great SRV sound in patch 003.

My J45 likes 006. One thought, especially if you use this patch in the same gigs as you use your backline cab.... including the Output 2 FXL Out line with an amp and drive into a mixer controlled by an expression pedal - to blend in a touch of dirt in the middle of the normally wide acoustic sound. I'd maybe attach an exp to the drive as well, to bring both up gently under control....

It's great that you've kept 006 as PA only - makes total sense. This Output 2 idea is part of me thinking about using the Axe a bit more imaginatively in my solo acoustic shows.

I'm also going to do the opposite for the electric shows: use Output 2 for backline amp, with a Lehle switch to bring stereo Output 1 into the PA for wide choruses and other modulations as a special effect.

If there's a way of doing this using a mixer block before Output One, that would save the Lehle and some cables. Even better, maybe a Scene in which the modulations switch to 100% wet to go only to Output One... I haven't quite got my head round how to do this yet....

But many thanks - again - for the excellent system and patches.

Thanks Hugo.

Personal favorite is also #31 scene 2: Tape Delay. Press the External 2 switch to oscillate the delay and then use the External 1 pedal to gradually drop the pitch and feedback.
i'm moving this to the first scene in a preset for faster access. I'm still in the process of ordering my presets optimally for the sets I'm currently playing.

I'll try that suggestion with the J45 preset. Although I use that one exclusively with FR amplification.

I'll try that suggestion with the J45 preset. Although I use that one exclusively with FR amplification.

Adjusting the expression modifers to max just below feedback will require tweaking (reducing inevitably) at sound check!! I'd be very interested to try out your version. I'll post mine when I've got it working.

Last edited:
Personal favorite is also #31 scene 2: Tape Delay. Press the External 2 switch to oscillate the delay and then use the External 1 pedal to gradually drop the pitch and feedback.
i'm moving this to the first scene in a preset for faster access. I'm still in the process of ordering my presets optimally for the sets I'm currently playing.

Yeah!! Great fun! Are you going to combine it with one of the others?

Made some usability improvements, based on gigging experiences.
Updated files in OP.

I've exchanged the external 2-switch for another pedal.
Removing the Ext 2 switch created room, so I moved my custom "global preset" switch to the center on the 2nd row.
This also splits the 4 scene switches, making it easier for me to remember what's where, in the middle of the heat.
Shifted the Comp and Drive switches and added my old favorite again: a VOL switch for automatic volume swells.

I like this new layout. It's more simple, easier to use, more straightforward.

I also updated the descriptions of all presets in post #2 of this thread.

Plus:

• More preset and scene reordering. Putting stuff there where it's most convenient for me.
  • Added some sounds, such as a tweaked version of Simeon's Vangelis preset.
  • Check all blocks and repaired some which were not linked to a global slot.
  • Also repaired some X/Y errors.
  • Corrected the delay in the first presets, which was set to a wrong global slot.
  • Replaced the Tube Drive with FET, and liking it a lot.
  • Adjusted the Comp settings, decreasing Mix. The Comp is now engaged in most presets.
  • Returned to Spring Reverb. Y is now: Plate.
  • User cab #51 contains the IR for clean tones. #52 has the IR for dirty tones.
  • Adjusted the boost/lowpass/highpass PEQ settings.
  • Trimmed CPU usage where possible. The Slap+TapeDly and Ebow presets are now the only ones left with slightly too high CPU ... far from CPU overload but these ones load a little slower.

14mfc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this Yek.

DO you have any recommendations for FW14 HiRes sample cabs to replace 51 and 52? I haven't yet taken the plunge on those...

I've resurrected your first Whammy patch, as I like the two different scenes - having the option of a fixed rate dive bomb or controlling it (I don't use your up octave one - I guess because I can't control it well enough to stop it squealing on me). I also like the "Gibson" option. I always back off my LP - not having really thought it through. I guess this comes into its own at gig volumes? Will try it all out for real on Wed night!

Reactions: yek
I like the FAS 1x12 AC-20 DLX (UR) for the clean tones.
And I've mixed TAF's free UR 4x12 Mesa (it has EVMs) with the TAF UR 4x12 Marshall Pre-Rola Basketweave.

Also loving the OH UR IRs.

I spent a while with the Eventide Pitchfactor and Timefactor pedals. (They are brilliant.) But although they've got much more scope than the Axe, controlling, plus the need for amps, etc makes for a huge pedal board - which was my reason for converting to Axe II. I've still got them, and might try a combination as others do with Axe. But frankly.... ease of use and having less gear is paramount. The Expression knob idea is good though. I like that. It makes what you're doing more obvious possibly than a pedal.

I'd love to know a bit more about using the RingMod patches Yek. I'm not subtle enough to make anything musical of them - so I'd love to know how you use them.

Thank you for this. I'm gonna have to try out your stuff when I get home and have more than a day off. The family will be pissed but oh well. Cheers Yek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk using the world's most ironically named cell phone company; sprint.

Hi Yek,
First off thanks for all the knowledge sharing!

Question on the Humbucker /single coil level adjustment – adding Null filter at start. I play PRS/Gibson humbuckers and the output is very hot, I have global amp gain @ -2dB, I/O INSTR IN @ 2% and turn down input drive/trim etc on the amps to get clean sounds. Problem is when I grab the strat mid gig big drop in patch vol and I need to go to PA desk and push up the sliders or go back to the Axe and turn up the out1 (straight to FOH)

The null filters works great for clean patches, I tried “8dB” level and strat sound is as loud as humbucker so great. But with lead/gain patches not so good – I get more distortion/gain but not so much vol increase, makes sense I guess as I’m pushing amp harder so more distortion. Any other clever work arounds? Like the PEQ/GEQ boost that you use for solos and to boost the mids when going thru FOH.

Whats your thoughts on this…
If I put a GEQ (or PEQ?) as last block with boost on all bands – I would get vol increase but avoid the increased gain? Probably clip outputs now as I’m fairly close to clipping with humbucker guitars.
Didn't get to check yet
thanks Alan

Hi Yek,
First off thanks for all the knowledge sharing!

Question on the Humbucker /single coil level adjustment – adding Null filter at start. I play PRS/Gibson humbuckers and the output is very hot, I have global amp gain @ -2dB, I/O INSTR IN @ 2% and turn down input drive/trim etc on the amps to get clean sounds. Problem is when I grab the strat mid gig big drop in patch vol and I need to go to PA desk and push up the sliders or go back to the Axe and turn up the out1 (straight to FOH)

The null filters works great for clean patches, I tried “8dB” level and strat sound is as loud as humbucker so great. But with lead/gain patches not so good – I get more distortion/gain but not so much vol increase, makes sense I guess as I’m pushing amp harder so more distortion. Any other clever work arounds? Like the PEQ/GEQ boost that you use for solos and to boost the mids when going thru FOH.

Whats your thoughts on this…
If I put a GEQ (or PEQ?) as last block with boost on all bands – I would get vol increase but avoid the increased gain? Probably clip outputs now as I’m fairly close to clipping with humbucker guitars.
Didn't get to check yet
thanks Alan

You probably shouldn't set I/O INSTR IN at 2%. That's an extreme low setting which may cause tone issues.
That parameter also isn't meant to dial in gain.

If you need must a level adjustment when switching guitars, without affecting gain, you need to put the filter at the end of the grid. Like the GEQ2 I'm using for leads. No need to boost frequencies, just increase the block's level.

thanks Yek - "I/O INSTR IN at 2%" did bother me a bit because its so low but I didn't hear a significant difference in tone and it "seemed" like it cleaned up the amps.
I will go back and check....and the GEQ2 with level increase
thanks

Back
Top Bottom