Yek's Presets for MkI/MkII (v15.03) and Blog

This night I rehearsed with my acoustic band. Well, acoustic... Brought my Axe-Fx and CLR. :)
My new J-45, with its standard under-saddle pickup, sounded GORGEOUS through the CLR (on its side, FF mode).
I used a single preset, didn't even bring the MFC.
Right amount of compression and reverb. I had a perfect tone.

Awesome Yek!! Is your acoustic preset listed in your original post?
I am having trouble with my Gibson/CLR. I would like to compare.
Mine sounds thin.

Yup, named "AcousticOnly". It's about the same as the one I used yesterday.

I like to record my band rehearsals and gigs.
I learn a ton from listening later on (like when driving to work), about the group's performance, arrangements and my tones.

I've used an Edirol R09-HR for this task for many years. Worked well. It has developed some quirks and it's time for a replacement.

Some good alternatives, like the Sony D50, have been discontinued.

I've decided on a Zoom H6, arriving this week. Good specs, good reviews.
Larger than the Edirol but that's not really a problem.

This is a particular feature I'm going to test:

- The onboard XY mics will record the music in the room, while
- I'll also connect the 1/4" outs on my Axe (Out1) to the additional inputs (line in).

This way I can listen to the overall live sound, as well as monitor/solo my direct parts, stored on separate tracks (it's a 6-track recorder).
Looking forward to test this!

Last edited:
Hey Yek- can you explain about having the cab block as the last in the chain (with the split to the FX loop). Most patches I see have an amp, cab, then time based stuff after the cab. Do you have any problems with putting verb/delay before the cab. I get why you do it, but did you ever go ->amp->cab->delay/verb and then split one chain to an FX loop? Just curious

That's not possible for me, because I run my output to a traditional cab as well. I don't want the Cab block in that signal.

Regarding the position of Cab and effects, that's documented here:
Cab (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

This is a particular feature I'm going to test:

- The onboard XY mics will record the music in the room, while
- I'll also connect the 1/4" outs on my Axe (Out1) to the additional inputs (line in).

This way I can listen to the overall live sound, as well as monitor/solo my direct parts, stored on separate tracks (it's a 6-track recorder).
Looking forward to test this!

It's in.
And it works exactly as I wished for. XY mics for in-the-room live recording. Plus simultaneous "direct" recording (guitar only) via line-in.

Mighty easy too because the onboard mic and each track have their own level dial. Color display is a nice touch.

Here's 's quick-and-dirty demo (pointless noodling).
First the "live" recording using XY mic. Picking up the tones from my CLRs.
Then the same recording, direct from Axe-Fx to Zoom (XLR line-in, mono).

http://members.ziggo.nl/alexandervanengelen/mics.WAV
http://members.ziggo.nl/alexandervanengelen/track.WAV

Last edited:
Adapted my stuff to fw 14. Also applied many, many other changes.

Change log:

• Added a Filter at the start of most presets. This block decreases level somewhat (less gain) and is engaged when using my Gibson. External 4 is attached to Bypass, so I can use I/O > MIDI > Ext CTRL 4 INIT VAL to enable/bypass the block across all presets at once. IA03 on the MFC reminds me of the state of the block.
  • Simplified and fine-tuned many presets, among others to keep CPU usage down.
  • Relinked some blocks to globals.
  • Swapped some X/Y instances, for easier MFC control.
  • Deleted a number of sounds (presets and/or scenes) while adding others, such as Tape Speed, Q-Tron (thanks Phostenix), Forlorn, Hold+Freeze (thanks Bodde).
  • Whole lotta preset/scene reordering.
  • Not using PC Mapping anymore.
  • Changed preset names for easier recognition.
  • Changed Track value in Wah.
  • Removed Pitch (detuning) from main preset and others, to cut CPU usage. MFC IA03 not assigned to Pitch anymore.
  • Improved Uni-Vibe (thanks Mrstrat), Rotary, Tremolo, SeekWah, Compressor and others.
  • Changed Reverb from Spring to Plate.
  • Finetuned fuzz sounds.
  • Changed Log type in Vol block for auto-swells.
  • Standard Delay now is not phase-reversed.
  • Leads preset: T808 Mod drive block with Mix assigned to scene controller.
  • Reordered the Drive block global slots.
  • More refining of other Amp+Cab presets (presets > 75). Not finished yet.

Last edited:
Congratulations on finally reaching Axe Master status. As the concerns of we mortals fade into a Fractalised haze of Oneness, please continue to reach down from time to time with your inestimable Wisdom. It makes us feel greater than the sum of our biological limitations, as we sip from the Fountain of Digital Delight.

One question - as ever!! Are there Digital Virgins? Plus I'm looking forward to seeing how some of my biological peers define that ;-)

Reactions: yek
thanks Yek. But Which IR are you using?

So many to choose from these days. ;)

For my clean tone (Morgan AC-20 sim) I'm using the AC-20 IR (SM57, UR), part of the upcoming Fractal Cab Pack 4. A sample is included in the free samples with firmware 14. This IR goes in to the Cab block, state "X".

For my dirty tones I'm currently using a 50/50 mix of TAF's free IR of a Mesa with EVM 12L speakers (UR), plus TAF's Marshall Basketweave (UR). S545 mic, Offcenter.

Tonight we shared a stage with another band, a pro band. Their guitar player had a gigantic rack: 2 x 12U (!), with a Mesa Mark head in it and lots of 19" stuff. Plus ... 3 Mesa 4x12s on stage. Yes, 3!

I brought my 2 measly CLRs, in stereo...

After the show several people told me how good my sound was, and totally ruled in comparison to the orher rig.

I'm normally not that competitive, but in this case, because of the 3 4x12s..... YES! :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom