Yek's preset collection (Q9.04, Axe-Fx II XL)

Currently I'm using my "large rig" (Axe-Fx, RJM MM GT/22, power amp, cabinet) with one band, and "small rig" (AX8 + CLR) with another.

Being used to the large RJM controller, it took me a while to accustomed to the limitations of the AX8. But I've figured it out.

Most of the time I stick to a single preset, where Amp-X is the clean amp and Amp-Y the dirty one (Friedman HBE). I've assigned a scene controller to Input Trim, which allows me to vary gain across scenes.

SCENES:

scene 1 = clean (Amp-X)
scene 2 = crunch (Amp-Y)
scene 3 = rock (Amp-Y)
scene 4 = heavy (Amp-Y)
scene 5 = solo (OD + Delay + volume boost)

Because there aren't enough switches to assign to effects, I've programmed a couple of dedicated scenes:

scene 6 = fuzz
scene 7 = rotary
scene 8 = volume swells

F-SWITCHES:

F1 = Single Preset. Press-and-hold = Preset Up.
F2 = Single X/Y. Press-and-hold = Preset Down
F3 = Single Scene. Press-and-hold = Sticky Scenes.

I've disabled press-and-hold X/Y in the Global menu, as I find the additional yellow LEDs confusing. Having a F-switch for that purpose suffices for me.

I've programmed switches 1-8 as global switches, because I like consistency. I've put labels on my AX8 so I don't need to see the FS screen at all, and I've set Display Large Preset to: Always. It's what I call: Performance Mode.

SWITCHES 1-8:

switch 1 = Comp
switch 2 = Drive 2
switch 3 = Verb
switch 4 = Saturation
switch 5 = PEQ (boost)
switch 6 = Drive 1
switch 7 = Delay
switch 8 = GEQ (solo boost)

I've connected an external dual-button switch, which are used to engage TUNER and AMP X/Y.

So most of the time I'm in a single preset, using scenes and switches to change tones.
I have a dedicated preset for my acoustic and a couple of other specific presets.
They all fit in a single bank, so I've set Bank Limit (Global) to that bank, making it panic-proof.

Last edited:
It's Testing-My-Rig day.

Multiple rigs in fact:

- Axe-Fx II, to CLRs (direct), or with Matrix to cabinet.
- Fryette GP/DI to CLRs (direct), or with Fryette Power Station to cabinet.
- Tech 21 British to CLRs (direct), or with EHX Magnum 44 to cabinet.

IMG_1599.jpg

Last edited:
For a gig this weekend I needed a 2nd rig, for a couple of other guitar players.

Bought a EHX Magnum 44 to drive my Port City x12.
Connected my Tech 12 Character British (for overdrive) and my Polytune 2.

Sounded great. And super portable.
That's what I use for my backup rig,44 Magnum + a boss heavy metal pedal or any drive pedal. It sounds great, it will get you through a gig if the axefx2 ever goes down

Reactions: yek
Hi yek , I am a real cab user , the port city:).;which I love.
But than again , sometimes I really doubt should I not go fully FRFR... I was wondering can you really use a patch that sounds good and FRFR and with the real cab ...just by using an EQ when going to the real cab (to replace the cab block)?
I always have the feeling that with cab simulations it gives more authentic sounds.... which I can do when using headphones ...
It stays a brain breaker for me :)
I feel somewhat restricted with the real cab....or I missed the clue somewhere :).
When using FRFR cab on stage does that give the same feeel as with a real cab ? Some say it doesn´t... When having a gig in a smaal place than you can not go for a combo : FRFR to FOH and real cab next to you...would a FRFR give the same feel?

I'm using just a single set of presets, for FRFR/FOH and a traditional cab. I make sure I use an IR that kind of matches my real cab, plus lots of low-cut and high-cut in the Cab block.

With FRFR monitoring you have lots more flexibility.
But using a cab for monitoring really works better for me, it's easier onstage, and consistent.

Hi,
I just get my Axe-XL+ , it came with the Quantum 6 and I tried the presets but most of them sounds really bad, some others one are better like the Fender ones but I am surprised about this situation, I was expecting something much better from the Axe !

Also something I don`t understand, for example there are several FAS amps ( Fractal amps in the amps list ) but there are only 2 presets with FAS amps, so what should I do ? on the both FAS presets I try to change only the amp for another FAS amp but it sounds bad...

Other example, in the amp list there is a CARR RAMBLER amp but I don`t see any preset using this amp...

I heard that when the Quantum change the presets settings change too and the presets does not sound the same ( ? )

I`m new on this forum and it seems that I have a lot of things to learn !!

Thanks for reply and happy new year

Cox, from Spain

I'm using just a single set of presets, for FRFR/FOH and a traditional cab. I make sure I use an IR that kind of matches my real cab, plus lots of low-cut and high-cut in the Cab block.

With FRFR monitoring you have lots more flexibility.
But using a cab for monitoring really works better for me, it's easier onstage, and consistent.
Yek, out of interest, what frequencies do you block at typically? Thanks

Depends on the venue.

At the last gig I used a CLR behind as a backline and I dropped the HiCut Freq to 5.5kHz or so.

LowCut usually is between 120 - 150 H.

Thanks Yek. That's helpful. I'm also finding that I have to cut a lot and wanted some reassurance!

Ready to rock tonight.
  • RJM Mastermind GT/22 on the floor, phantom powered
  • Mission Engineering "RJM" expression pedal with spring
  • Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II XL
  • Matrix GT1000FX power amp
  • Port City OS Wave 2x12 (EV-12L + ASW KTS-70)
  • (rack) Shure GLX-D wireless
  • (rack) TC Electronic BodyRez pedal, for acoustic
  • (rack) EHX Mel9
  • Zoom H5 field recorder: records the room (stereo) as well my guitar's direct signal on a separate track.
IMG_1621.JPG

Last edited:
And here's my GT/22 setup.

I can basically control everything in my main Axe-Fx II preset from a single page.

The name on the second row of each switch indicates its secondary (HOLD) function.

The bottom row links to Axe-Fx II presets. The first preset has 5 scenes which in fact are identical to presets 1-5.

RJM.JPG

The "SCENES" button (which in face is an IA MODE button) turns the bottom row into scene buttons:

RJM2.JPG

For specific songs (the SONGS button at the right takes me to the 1st one) I have dedicated presets with a "local" page, where the middle row (its buttons are not global) turns into "named" scene buttons:

RJM3.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom