Yek's preset collection (Q9.04, Axe-Fx II XL)

Bought a lot of stuff in the past weeks.

- Xotic's EP Booster. Which really has something special going on. Already own Xotic's SL Compressor.

- Pigtronix Disnortion Micro. A fantastic drive/fuzz mini pedal. Has that Ian Thornley vibe.

If I were to build myself a traditional pedalboard, I'd only use mini pedals.

- EV ZXA1 sub. To pair with my CLRs. Not for guitar, but as a portable sound system (with my X32 Compact mixer). If a single sub doesn't suffice, I'll get a 2nd one.

- Vibramate. Makes restringing my Les Paul with a Bigsby much easier.

- Celestion G12H Redhead. A just released 150w (!) speaker, for my 1x12 ported Port City cab.

- Mono Cases Vertigo guitar bag.

All highly recommended.

Last edited:
Bought a lot of stuff in the past weeks.

- EP Booster. Which really has something special going on. Already own the SL Compressor.

- Pigtronix Disnortion Micro. A fantastic drive/fuzz mini pedal. Has that Ian Thornley vibe.

- EV ZXA1 sub. To pair with my CLRs. Not for guitar, but as a portable sound system. I think a single one suffices, otherwise I'll get a 2nd one.

- Vibramate. Makes restringing my Les Paul with a Bigsby much easier.

- Celestion G12H Redhead. A 150w (!) speaker for my 1x12 Port City cab.

- Mono Cases Vertigo guitar bag.

All highly recommended.
Nice selection.....love my Vibramate as well, and the new Celestion Redhead IRs are among my new favorites, tho i know youre a real cab guy.

Nice selection.....love my Vibramate as well, and the new Celestion Redhead IRs are among my new favorites, tho i know youre a real cab guy.

Ah, that's smart, I should and could have tried those IRs first! Just didn't think of it. :)

Thank you.

Edit: Oddly, when I downloaded, then transferred, either the main preset or presets from the non-global bank--by Fractal bot or Axe-manage (using latest Axe-Edit)--I come up with blank grids and a blank list of presets. I've not experienced this previously when installing your presets, though I'm sure I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Your presets are gold yek, thanks for sharing ! I cant' wait to try them at gig volume on next wednesday ! On my monitors, at pretty high volume, it sounded great ! Do any of your patch is usable for classic GnRoses tones ?

I had a chance to test yek main preset yesterday in a studio room at gig volume on a FRFR system (3 yamaha CLRs, I don't know the exact model but it was big and f**g loud). I've rent the room for an 1h before my band came so I had time to experiment. It sounded pretty good ! Much more than my "headphones" presets that were harsh and too bright. The only changes I've made on yek preset was adjusting the low/high cut on the cab block (150/6000) and done.

My take away following this session, regarding FRFR:
- dial at gig volume (really)
- yeah, turn off that bright switch on amps, that hurts !
- use the apropriate IR
- use the low/high cut. Mine was quite radical @ 6000 but I suspect the yamaha to be really bright
- (these) FRFR are incredibly directionnal. Moving 1m away of-axis makes incredible changes

I had a really great fun yesterday (mostly with my Strat and scenes 1-2-3) and I even compared my Axe with a Marshall stack that was on the studio (played by the other guitarist) and honestly, it was damn close (and yeah, a Marshall amp/cab can also be harsh and boomy if you're on-axis).

Thanks again yek for your work, that really was an eyes openner for me after 6 years of AxeFx !!!

Last edited:
Thanks! Good to hear.

6000 isn't that radical. I tend to set it between 5 and 6 kHz myself, when using FR monitoring.

Yes, probably, I'm not used to change the high cut. I will also try at "decent" volume on my monitors to see if it translate well (I believe you have same as mine, Adam A7X).

Not anymore. These days I use the CLRs at home as monitors.

Hello Yek,

Thank-you for all the work you put into these presets!

I'm having a problem with excessive CPU usage when I have USB connected. I installed all the banks and the global onto my XL+, and disabled Cabinet modelling as you mentioned (even tried disabling power amp modelling which didn't help).

However, when I'm running any of the first 5 presets at least the unit keeps throwing up the excessive CPU warning message on the screen and the audio gets crackly.

I'm sure I'm missing something easy, and would appreciate any advice you or another user of your presets would have!

Blue Skies!

helicoder

What's your amplification system?

Where do I mention to disable Cab Modeling?

I might be misunderstanding your question (I'm fairly new), but I'm just using a couple of powered monitors for audio. The same break-up and cpu message on the Axe screen occurs with headphones only.

On page 5 of this post said "Turning off Cab Modeling in the Global menu also save some precious CPU." Of course this was back in 2015, but I'm grasping at straws to try to get them to work.

Blue Skies,

Helicoder

What's your amplification system?

Where do I mention to disable Cab Modeling?

Ah okay.

Since you're using powered monitors and headphones, you should always keep Power Amp Modeling and Amp Modeling enabled (Global menu). In fact, to make sure all system settings are at default, perform a System Params Reset in the Utility menu.

If you've uploaded my System Bank and Bank A to your hardware successfully, AMP 1 X should be the Doubleverb model, and AMP 1 Y should be a Friedman. AMP 2 X/Y should be Friedman as well.

Did you reboot the hardware after uploading the System Bank?

Thank-you for taking the time to work with me on this.

I performed a system params reset, and for good measure re-uploaded the System Bank and rebooted.

The amps are showing as you described (they were prior to the system bank re-load as well), however the problem persists.

One note I should have mentioned before is that they system is running 8.0.2.

Thanks again,

Helicoder

Ah okay.

Since you're using powered monitors and headphones, you should always keep Power Amp Modeling and Amp Modeling enabled (Global menu). In fact, to make sure all system settings are at default, perform a System Params Reset in the Utility menu.

If you've uploaded my System Bank and Bank A to your hardware successfully, AMP 1 X should be the Doubleverb model, and AMP 1 Y should be a Friedman. AMP 2 X/Y should be Friedman as well.

Did you reboot the hardware after uploading the System Bank?

Hmm, weird. As far I know, the XL+ does not use up more CPU than the XL, in fact a little less.

I'll load up my latest presets this weekend. They use less CPU.

Back
Top Bottom