Yek's preset collection (Q9.04, Axe-Fx II XL)

The collection has been updated and can be downloaded.

I pasted the OP in the next post for those who only see the last message in this thread.

Last edited:
February 5th 2016

My updated collection of presets for Axe-Fx II XL, firmware Quantum 2.

Right-click a link below, select Save or Download, unzip the downloaded file and use Axe-Edit or Fractal-Bot to load a preset or a preset bank.
  1. Main preset — single preset with 6 scenes. Stock cab, no global blocks.

2. All sounds — my general purpose presets. Stock cab, no global blocks.

3. All sounds (global blocks) — same as 2, but with global blocks and required system data.

4. Amp + Cab — my collection of basic amp+cab presets, featuring my favorite amp models. Stock cabs, no global blocks.

5. Presets for cover songs — my presets for the cover bands I play in. Stock cab, no global blocks. Version with global blocks available upon request.
Created by …
  • These presets were created by me. Some are tweaked versions of factory presets. Some are tweaked versions of presets created by others (see bottom note).
Designed for …
  • Every type of amplification / output: FR monitoring, direct-to-FOH, power amp + speaker cabinet (cabinet simulation disabled), headphones, recording., stereo or mono.
  • Single coils and humbuckers.
  • These presets are designed to be played loud! If you always play at low volume, you may want want to add some bass and treble.
Global Blocks
  • I use global blocks in many presets. For your convenience I provide versions of presets with and without global blocks.
Global, I/O and Tuner settings
  • Power Amp Modeling: on. Cabinet Modeling: on. Spillover: both. Global Amp Gain: 0. Input 1 Left Select: front. Input 1 Mode: left only. Output 1 Mode: stereo. Output 2 Mode: sum L+R. Scene Revert: on. Ignore Redundant PC: on. Display Offset: 1.
Amplification: Studio Monitors, FRFR amplification, Direct-to-FOH, Headphones
  • My equipment: 2x Atomic CLR active wedge (home monitors, live monitors), headphones.
  • This is the direct signal with cabinet simulation, through Output 1. Turn up OUT1 on the front panel to hear sound.
  • I/O > Output 1 Mode is set to Stereo, even when running just a single output/monitor. The presets can be used in a mono setup without the risk of phase cancellation.
  • I use the Global EQ to finetune the overall sound.
Amplification: Power Amp and Cabinet
  • I use the same presets when playing through my Matrix GT1000FX power amp and traditional guitar cabinet. The cabinet is a Port City 2x12 Wave Vertical with EVM 12L and ASW KTS-70 speakers or Port City 1x12 Wave with ASW KTS-70 speaker.
  • The FXL block in each preset routes the signal to Output 2, bypassing the Cab block.
  • Some presets have a GEQ placed in front of the FXL block, bumping high frequencies. This improves the sound of "acoustic" and synth presets through a guitar cabinet.
  • Output 2 Mode sums the stereo signal to mono. I've made sure there's no phase cancellation when running mono.
Amp blocks
  • Many presets contain two Amp blocks. Amp 1 handles clean tones, Amp 2 handles dirty tones.
  • I use a scene controller to vary gain in scenes 2-3-4-5-6 of my main preset.
  • Advanced amp parameters in my global amp blocks are at default.
Cab block
  • I use an UltraRes Cab block. In Stereo Mode to preserve the spread signal of stereo blocks before it.
  • I usually use 3rd-party IRs, mostly OwnHammer, but I replaced those with stock cabs in the provided presets.
  • No mic simulation, because the IRs I use have mics already baked-in.
  • Other parameters are at default, except for Low Cut/Hi Cut.
  • Some presets link to specific user cabs. Slot 2 contains the UltraRes guitar body IR. Slot 3 contains James Santiago's EchoPlex IR. Slot 5 contains a cello IR.
Presets
  • The picture below shows my presets in the correct order, using 5 presets per bank. The Amp+Cab presets and the cover songs presets are not shown.
  • Some presets feature multiple scenes. If so, it's indicated in the preset title.
  • The first preset (MAIN) is dedicated to my basic amp tones, using 6 scenes (clean - dirty - rock - heavy - lead 1 - lead 2). Scenes 2-5 are duplicated in presets 2-5 for quick access when switching presets.
  • The preset levels are roughly balanced, using the VU meters and by ear.
  • CPU usage is always below 90%, with an USB connection.
  • Delay and Reverb are placed in parallel rows in most presets, because this makes it easier to manage levels.
  • About the cover songs presets: I don't try to copy the exact amp tones, I stick to my favorite amp models. I do recreate some effects. Often a preset uses more than one scene, but never more than five. Scene which are not used are muted.
  • The bar character "|", used in preset titles, instructs my RJM controller to hide the characters following that sign on the display.
Q2-presetlist.png

Amp+Cab presets:

ampcablist.png

Grid Template

• My default grid template features the effects shown below, saved as global blocks on my Axe-Fx II XL.
  • Input gate settings are modest. Output mixer settings are at default. Input Impedance is set at 1M, which prevents "popping" when engaging the Phaser or Wah.
  • All presets work well in stereo and when summed to mono (no phase cancellation).
Q2-grid.png

• VOL — Attached to Envelope, for automatic volume swells.
  • COMP — Compressor.
  • WAH — Assigned to External 1 (pedal). Auto-engages.
  • PEQ 2 — Applies EQ for "focussed" single lines.
  • DRIVE — X = FAS Boost. Y = SDD preamp.
  • FEEDBACK SEND/RETURN — Extends the routing.
  • PHASER — X = Phase 90. Y = Uni-vibe. Placed in parallel, to save space.
  • FLANGER — Jet flanger.
  • FILTER — Boosts the amp's input stage.
  • AMP(s).
  • PITCH — Micro-pitch (detune).
  • ROTARY — Leslie. X/Y are set to different speeds.
  • TREMOLO — Rate controlled by an external controller.
  • DELAY — X = short delay. Y = louder and longer.
  • REVERB — Mode and quality setting depending on preset, mostly London Plate. Sometimes Spring Reverb when the CPU load is already high. Reverb Hold is assigned to a switch in some presets.
  • GEQ 2 — Volume level boost for leads. X = 4 dB. Y = 2 dB.
  • FXL: Routes the signal to Output 2 to feed a power amp and speaker cabinet. In some presets a GEQ is placed in front of FXL, bumping the highest frequencies, to improve the sound of "acoustic" presets and synth tones through a guitar cabinet.
  • CAB — UltraRes IR(s). Set to Stereo to preserve the output of stereo blocks before the Cab block.
Foot Controller, Pedal, Switch
  • I use a RJM Mastermind GT/22 foot controller, with a single expression pedal (video). My presets are optimized for this controller. The presets lend themselves also for use with the MFC-101.
  • External controller 1 is a Mission EP-1 expression pedal (with switches and spring-loaded). Assigned to External 1. The pedal functions as a Wah in many presets. In other presets it fades in shimmer, operates as a Whammy or does other things (preset title: "/p"). I can also use the RJM controller to switch the pedal between tasks within a single preset.
  • External controller 6 is an additional switch for some presets. Indicated in the preset title with "/s".
Credit for ideas include Cliff, M@, Javajunkie, Simeon, Bakerman, Swedish Chef, Fremen, AustinBuddy and others.

Last edited:
Yek I would value you opinion on something. I havent done much exploration of IRs in the past. I have both yours and Fremens new presets using just stock IRs. Is it worth making an investment in commercial IRs?

Also not having many IR libraries, will I have a wide range of choices (for Rock/Blues style playing) if I get the TAF Big Box Gold (IRs only no presets ) and the Ownhammer Studio Collection? Is there anything else that would be wise to get? FAS Cab Packs? I feel a little overwhelmed by the choices and dont feel I can make an informed decision with my lack of experience with IRs.

( I do own Cab Lab 4 and 5. Also TAF Legends)

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I think that the stock cabs do a very fine job. I don't subscribe to the theory that you SHOULD use 3rd party IRs to get the best out of your Axe-Fx.

At the same time: if you want more variety, and want tools to finetune your tone: go for it.
And I'd love to see the IR manufacturers earn good money for all their efforts.

I don't suppose anyone still has the Cello IR ?

I cleaned house to start over and I accidentally deleted it !

Doh !

THANKS for trying, but evidently it's old enough that the format doesn't match .... I can't import it !

Yek - thanks for these.
Re the amp/cab combo - interested in your thinking as to why you place the reverb between amp and cab ie: rather than post cab.

Hi Yek. I'm going to have a wee play with these this evening if I get time. I'll probably load them up without the global blocks as I am very much a home noodler so don't necessarily need the flexibility the global blocks provide for gigging. That said, I'm curious what you are using global blocks for - are they for specific effects, amp settings?

Thanks for providing these, looking forward to checking them out.

I use them for everything. :)

It's not that I have a lot of global block instances "per effect".

I use just one global block instance with a lot of effects. It's a convenience and consistency thing.
By using global blocks I know the blocks are configured the way I want it.
This saves me from having to check things.

I do use more than one global block instance in AMP, DRIVE, DELAY and REVERB. That's handy because I use the same settings in multiple presets.
With AMP it's just a matter of gain.

Hi Yek. Just spent a couple of hours noodling around with your MAIN preset. Time flew buy. I didn't really get along with the small block amp, so I flipped that for the HBE (which I don't normally use) and I don't have the IR you've been using but I stuck in an OH MAR 212 mix that's a blend of the Scumback H75 and M75 SP2 IRs. That worked well with both the Friedman and the Fender.

Despite being a rock head, I spent ages on the Fender with the OD engaged, delay, and either phaser or vibe, neck HB, volume rolled back a touch. Lovely sound. I particularly like your clean amp setup and the way you dial on FX. Thanks!

Reactions: yek
Back
Top Bottom