Yek's preset collection (Q9.04, Axe-Fx II XL)

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
March 28, 2018

My presets for Axe-Fx II XL, firmware Quantum 9.04.

Click a link below, select Save or Download, unzip the downloaded file and use Axe-Edit, Fractal-Bot or FracTool to send a preset or preset bank to the hardware. Use FracTool to import these presets into an AX8 or older Axe-Fx II units.
  1. Main preset — My single "all-in-one" preset with 5 scenes. Stock cab, no global blocks.

2. All sounds — My general purpose and utility presets. Stock cab, no global blocks.

3. All sounds (using Global Blocks) — Same as above, as Bank files with Global Blocks and required System data file.
Created by …
  • Created by me. Some are tweaked versions of factory presets. Some are tweaked versions of presets created by others (see bottom note). I left out commercial ones, of course.
Designed for …
  • Designed for every type of amplification/output: FR monitoring, direct-to-FOH, power amp + speaker cabinet (cabinet simulation disabled), headphones, recording, stereo and mono.
  • Single coils and humbuckers.
  • These presets are designed to be played loud!
Global Blocks
  • I use Global Blocks in many presets (available on Axe-Fx II only). For your convenience, versions of the presets are provided with and without Global Blocks.
Global and I/O settings
  • Power Amp Modeling: on. Cabinet Modeling: on. Input 1 Mode: left only. Output 1 Mode: stereo. Output 2 Mode: stereo. Global EQ: flat.
Mono and Stereo
  • Many presets are mono, which saves CPU and suits my rigs.
  • Presets which should be played in stereo are marked as such in their titles.
Amplification: Studio Monitors, FRFR amplification, Direct-to-FOH, Headphones
  • My equipment: Atomic CLR active wedges (home monitors, live monitors), headphones.
  • This is the direct signal with cabinet simulation through Output 1. Turn up OUT1 on the front panel to hear sound.
  • I/O > Output 1 Mode is set to Stereo, even when running just a single output/monitor. The presets can be used in a mono setup without the risk of phase cancellation.
  • I apply Low Cut and High Cut in the Cab block and/or Global EQ when gigging.
Amplification: Power Amp and Cabinet
  • I use the same presets when playing through a neutral power amp and guitar cabinet. I use Port City Wave cabinets.
    • 1x12 Wave OS with ASW KTS-70
    • horizontal 2x12 Wave with EV 12L and Celestion G12H-150-Redback
    • vertical 2x12 Wave with ASW KTS-70 and EV 12L
  • The FXL block in each preset routes the signal to Output 2, bypassing the Cab block.
  • Some presets have a GEQ placed in front of the FXL block, emphasizing high frequencies. This improves the sound of specific full-range presets through a regular guitar cabinet.
  • I/O > Output 1 Mode is set to Stereo, even with a single cabinet. The presets can be used in a mono setup without the risk of phase cancellation.
Amp blocks
  • Many presets contain two Amp blocks, where AMP 1 handles clean and crunchy tones and AMP 2 provides the dirty tones.
  • My amp models of choice currently are Double Verb (Fender Twin Reverb) for clean tones, and Friedman BE for dirt. Clean tones have Output Comp in the Amp block engaged, which is why there's no Compressor effect in many presets.
  • Advanced amp parameters in my global amp blocks are at default mostly. I don't use Speaker Drive and Speaker Comp in the Amp blocks, because these parameters do not match with the 2nd output to a traditional speaker.
Cab block
  • I use a single Ultra-Res IR in the Cab block, set to mono in most presets to save CPU (X is mono, Y is stereo). When using a stereo Cab block, both sides are fully panned.
  • Currently, I'm hooked on stock cab #131, for both clean and dirty tones. Try #184 for a brighter version.
  • I don't use mic simulation in the Cab block, because the IRs I use already have mics "baked-in".
  • I use Low Cut, High Cut and Motor Drive in the Cab block.
  • Some presets link to specific user cabs. Slot 2 contains the UltraRes guitar body IR. Slot 3 contains James Santiago's EchoPlex IR. Slot 5 contains the IR of a cello.
Presets
  • I use 5 presets per bank.
  • Some presets feature multiple scenes. If so, the preset title indicates this.
  • The first preset (HOME) handles to my core amp tones, using 5 scenes (clean - dirty - rock - heavy - lead). Scenes 2-5 are duplicated in presets 2-5 (easier when switching presets).
  • The preset levels are balanced, using the VU meters and by ear.
  • CPU usage is always below 90%, including USB connection.
  • Delay and Reverb are placed in parallel rows in most presets, because this makes it easier to manage levels.
  • The bar character "|", used in preset titles, instructs my RJM foot controller to hide the characters following that sign on the display.
  • The presets in bank C (> 256) are song-specific presets, with multiple scenes. These scenes have names on my RJM MM GT controller.
  • Click here to view the list of presets.
Grid Template
  • My default grid template features the effects shown below, saved as Global Blocks on my Axe-Fx II XL.
  • The input gate uses modest settings. Output mixer settings are at default.
  • All presets work well in stereo and when summed to mono (no phase cancellation).
Q904-grid.png

• VOL — Attached to Envelope (specific settings), for automatic volume swells
  • COMP — Optical compressor. Only in specific presets, because the clean Amp block already has output compression enabled
  • WAH — Assigned to External 1 (pedal), auto-engaged.
  • PHASERX = Phase 90. Y = Univibe. Placed in parallel, to save space
  • FLANGER — Jet flanging
  • CHORUS — X = Chorus, Y = Vibrato
  • ROTARY — Leslie. X/Y are set to different speeds
  • TREMOLO — X/Y are set to different speeds
  • FEEDBACK SEND/RETURN — Extends the routing to another row
  • DRIVE 1 — X = OD (FAS Boost), Y = fuzz
  • DRIVE 2 — X = FET Boost, y = SDD
  • AMP(s)
  • DELAY — X = short delay, Y = louder and longer
  • REVERB — X = after the Amp block, Y = before the Amp block. In some presets Reverb Hold is assigned to an external controller
  • GEQ — Volume level boost for leads. X = loud, Y = soft
  • FXL — Routes the signal to Output 2 to feed a power amp and speaker cabinet. In some presets a GEQ is placed in front of FXL, emphasizing the highest frequencies, to improve the sound of "acoustic" presets and synth tones through a guitar cabinet
  • CAB — UltraRes IR(s). X = Mono, Y = stereo
Foot Controller, Pedal, Switch
  • I use a RJM Mastermind GT/22 foot controller (video). The presets can also be used with the MFC-101.
  • I use one or two expression pedals, operating Wah, shimmer, Whammy and other things. Special pedal functions are indicated by a "p" in the preset title.
Credit for original creativity include Cliff, M@, Javajunkie, Simeon, Bakerman, Swedish Chef, Fremen, Gira, Danzi, AustinBuddy, Larry Mitchell, DLM, Moke, and others.

Last edited:
Yek please, I have a very important question about cabs.
I'm a fan just like you the Friedman BE, and especially Caroll-Ann Tucana 3 and Triptik clean and classic.
I am also a fan of cabs of "The Amp factory" (The legend Cabs and the delta studio), but there is so much choice of micro positioning, it is almost impossible to find a good compromise.
My use comes down to studio recordings, not live.
So I want to know what are your choices for these cabs and mics 3 amps.
secondly, do you use the "rear cabs" for more realism?
I also want to thank you for all your posts that have greatly served me achieve my presets.
Also here is an example:https://soundcloud.com/harry-b-7/50s-years-song-for-did-2014
thank you for all, you're the best ! really ;)

I keep it simple these days. 1 IR, no mix.

For example the 4x12 TV, mic M160, CapEdge B. Thats from Fractal's Cab Pack 5.

The Marshall Basketweave Pre-Rola, mic S545 cone 3 (TAF Legends) is a fine IR too, but thinner in the high notes.

Last edited:
For a gig this weekend I needed a 2nd rig, for a couple of other guitar players.

Bought a EHX Magnum 44 to drive my Port City x12.
Connected my Tech 12 Character British (for overdrive) and my Polytune 2.

Sounded fine. And super portable.

I'm learning to play salsa, samba etc. because a band I'm playing in goes into that direction. And I'm so happy with the way my Gibson J45 sounds through the Axe-Fx+CLR, as well as into a JamHub. It's the J45 preset/scene in my presets. I'm using the stock 'under-saddle' pickup on the J45. I leave the MFC at home. A single switch for volume boosts, connected to the rear pedal jack suffices.

I like the MFC a lot. It's the best choice - in Axe-Fx Mode - for "plug-and-play" control of the Axe-Fx. And the Kicktags are the finishing touch.

But I'm a MIDI controller junkie, always have been, and sometimes crave for more control and possibilities. So I got me a RJM Mastermind GT/22. A monster controller, expensive too. The one with the displays above the 22 buttons.

Received it today and programmed it. Takes more time than a MFC, but the result is fantastic. Everything is so easily accessible now, through single clicks, double clicks, holding buttons, pages etc. Looks very pro.

Some things I particularly like:
- Save/Restore with an USB flash drive
- Preset Number: press digits to recall a preset
- holding buttons to switch X/Y, or to switch between two effects speeds

And great support for the Axe-Fx out of the box.

Also, RJM offers great and immediate support through mail and forum too. A reason why I chose RJM and not Liquid-Foot.

Yek's Blog and Axe-Fx II XL Presets

Congrats Yek. I've had my MMGT22 since 2013 it's an awesome Controller!! Very road worthy and Ron the owner is great. He's helped me numerous times.

The Programming Editor is Fantastic!!!!

My MFC became my back-up.

Congrats Yek. I've had my MMGT22 since 2013 it's an awesome Controller!! Very road worthy and Ron the owner is great. He's helped me numerous times.

The Programming Editor is Fantastic!!!!

My MFC became my back-up.

Yes, I already saw your name on their forum. :)

Man, what an awesome piece of gear.

Quite a task to get to learn and program it, the first time. Esp. with regard to the Axe. But I got it under control now. Finished it.
Haven't used the editor yet, as I wanted to learn the hardware first.

I'll post some tips on the RJM forum as some people seem to have problems with programming.

Back
Top Bottom